What is "intact" called elsewhere? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is just a silly, inconsequential question--mostly me pondering aloud-- but can anyone from or familiar with a culture where circ isn't the norm enlighten me as to how the categorization of "intact" is handled there? I think it is odd that it ever came to be known as "uncircumcised" here.... like an "unopened" soda can that's about to be opened (or an unopened door... which has such a different meaning than a closed door). Not having a particular surgery doesn't define us in any other way, as far as I can tell... So are there just penises and circumcised penises if the culture doesn't support circumcision? Natural vs. cut? Just me being curious smile.gif

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#2 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmm, I don't know the answer to your question.

However on the other side of such things.. I have a friend who spent two years teaching in Barcelona.. she said the word for circumcised literally means "the strange one".
#3 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 PM

My guess is it would be the same in those cultures as how we refer to "intact" females here in the US.  I've never been referred to as intact, natural, or uncircumcised, but I guess all are correct.  If I was in the company of a group of females who had had that particular surgery, I would probably be referred to as "uncircumcised" since the altered state would be the norm for them.

I would think there would simply not be a need to have a special term for uncut genitals in those cultures.

9/2011 items decluttered
#4 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post

I would think there would simply not be a need to have a special term for uncut genitals in those cultures.

Right, like there isn't exactly a word used frequently for "normal-sized foot" in our culture, since we don't practice foot-binding. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Normal?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 12 Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammylsmith View Post

This is just a silly, inconsequential question--mostly me pondering aloud-- but can anyone from or familiar with a culture where circ isn't the norm enlighten me as to how the categorization of "intact" is handled there? I think it is odd that it ever came to be known as "uncircumcised" here.... like an "unopened" soda can that's about to be opened (or an unopened door... which has such a different meaning than a closed door). Not having a particular surgery doesn't define us in any other way, as far as I can tell... So are there just penises and circumcised penises if the culture doesn't support circumcision? Natural vs. cut? Just me being curious smile.gif

"Normal" penis.

It isn't referred to at all.  Circumcised penises are called that, but penises with foreskins are just called penises

(in Scotland and France anyway)

#7 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

Not really called anything. In Sweden definitely not, circumcision is a word, "omskärelse", but to be circumcised isn't really said much, it is like if you would say someone is c-sectioned or appendisized or something. I never knew that people actually did this without religious reason (even as that it is rare in Sweden, we were taught it in religion classes at school) until I first read Mothering, as an adult. Sweden never did circumcise.

Here in New Zealand I recently read an article about it (Australian article, but re-published here), but have never heard anyone mentioning it or read anything at all. I looked it up, and it turns out NZ did circumcise in the past, but gave it up in the late 60s.

So no word for it. An awareness that, particularly in other countries, but very rarely here (no Mohel in the country, he apparently only visits to do circumcisions every few years or so), it is done for religious reasons. But I've worked with babies and children for many years, and never seen a circumcised penis. I wouldn't even know what it looked like.
#8 of 12 Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I suspected as much (though Philomom's bit about the word for circumcised is interesting) and I am quite envious of you Aislin. You are lucky not to have to know any babies who had to go through this procedure. I love many things about my culture, but this one really bugs me because it should be so easy to point out the error... but yet it persists greensad.gif

I can't stand the term uncircumcised, and intact is a little better, but I wish it were just "normal."

#9 of 12 Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 AM

I have never heard a word for it either. I have also not heard it discussed quite so much as when I lived in the States. It is just never a topic of conversation here. It would be like discussing your baby girl being intact. It is also not even something to be proud of or mention. I guess it is just the accepted norm?

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#10 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM

It's called a penis. 

~~Sarah~~ likes this.

****5****10***15****20****25****30****35 ****40
#11 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post

It's called a penis. 

Yep. It's the circumcised ones that are commented upon as they're far less usual.

#12 of 12 Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Lol, yes, this is the most pointless conversation in the world, but oh, how I wish it were this easy here in the states!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page