Homebirth midwifes and circumcision. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sounds like an oxymoron, but I have a doubt... Usually midwives are trained to chop the foreskins...              Does anyone have any info on that?

#2 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 12:24 PM

No idea about homebirth midwives but when I had ds at a birth center with mw's they discouraged circ but had someone to send the parents to who insisted on it being done.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Mine asked about it at a visit (I did not want to know the sex of my fetus), and when I told her that I would not allow plastic surgery on the genitals of my child, boy or girl, she did a little 'happy dance'.

Midwives in Canada are not trained or licensed to perform circumcision.

#4 of 8 Old 05-11-2011, 04:59 PM

I know of one homebirth midwife in my area who does the circs herself, but this is a high-circ area. My own midwife provides pro-intact info in her office and would never in a million years perform a circ.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#5 of 8 Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM

I had no idea there were midwives who performed circs. My midwife was Jewish and she discouraged circs!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#6 of 8 Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not sure about homebirth midwives since I only used one for just one birth. I have never heard of a homebirth mw doing it in my area. However, there is a nurse midwife who owns a birthing center near me who does circs in her office. I'm near Denton,Texas if that helps with your search. I'd link to it but I think it would violate the UA. From FAQ:

"If you desire a circumcision for your son, (wm's name) can do this simple procedure in the office. She uses comfort measures as well as local anesthesia to make the experience less stressful to your baby and to you."

I think plenty of Nurse Midwives are trained to perform circ. I would hope they would choose not to do it though.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#7 of 8 Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

I had no idea there were midwives who performed circs. My midwife was Jewish and she discouraged circs!

Ditto all of the above! My midwife is also Jewish and is against circumcision. She played a key role in helping me convince DH not to circ. I love my midwife!

#8 of 8 Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM

My midwife absolutely does NOT do circumcisions. She had a big folder full of info on why we should leave DS intact. She will refer clients to a pediatric urologist if they insist on circ, but she does her best to gently talk them out of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page