ParentalRights.org confused about Circumcision and Parental Rights - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got this in my email box yesterday.  I have already spoken to Parental Rights's communications director and emailed Michael Farris, but they have not emailed out a change of heart.

"The City of San Francisco is contemplating a law that will ban male circumcision for infants and children. There are no religious exemptions in the proposed law and it is an obvious attempt to override the parents’ ability to make decisions for their own children on this medical issue. ""

I was probably not successful on my own in explaining that a ban on circumcision is not "government raising our children" and that it is a Human Rights issue that trumps all Parental Rights issues which I have to this point agreed with them on.

#2 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 06:35 AM

I saw the article that the group linked to and its clear the law doesn't allow parents to have the unlimited right to do whatever they want to their children.  I don't see why they don't understand this.  I wonder how far they are willing to go in their argument.  Do they think parents should be allowed to tattoo?  Inject their children with botox?  Cut off any other "useless" body part?

#3 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 AM
2xy

I sent an email to the site.

"Human rights trump parental rights. It should not be a parent's right to surgically and painfully modify a child's body for no valid reason. Surgery is for sick people, not healthy ones. This is not a parental rights issue, nor is it a medical issue. No medical organization in the entire world recommends that newborns be circumcised....including the AAP. This is a matter of tradition rather than medicine, and cutting up babies in the name of tradition must cease."

#4 of 4 Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

The group is preserving US parents' rights to choose schooling and religion for their children DURING THAT CHILD'S MINORITY.  Of course the child has free will at adulthood.

A genitally-altered child does not have the ability to a do-over at age 18.  Of course neither do dead kids.

I don't believe they are educated about circumcision or about the implications ... I don't believe that they understand that FGM and MGM are the same practice and if they want to preserve one they are preserving the other.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page