Dr. retracted DS today *sigh* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm feeling really really guilty that I didn't stop this, despite all my thinking and planning for it .... I'm really hoping that I can find some reassurance here ...

So 11-month-old DS hasn't been peeing as much lately, which didn't really stand out until I changed his diaper today and noticed a sort of stain on the front of the diaper - my first thought was that it was blood - it was kind of orange-ish. So I take him to our ped (not the one we usually see ..) and she says that it's just a reaction from the urine to the diaper chemicals. (#1 ick. yet another argument for cloth. #2. Duh. #3. Makes sense that I'd never seen it before - new brand of diapers.)

Anyway - she says  - let's check him out just to make sure ... so as she's gloving up I say, "He's uncircumsised, I know that you're not supposed to retract him ..." and as I'm saying it - whoop - there she goes. What IS it with doctors and little boys' junk? Sheesh. irked.gif

She said she wanted to check to make sure there wasn't a small cut or something. (Which also makes *some* sense given that he's got sharp baby nails and he's always fiddling with himself.)

Now DS didn't get upset, no crying, no discomfort - it wasn't like she had to push very hard at all - in fact, he actually kind of grinned afterward (which kind of made me laugh. His first hand job.)

So my hunch is that it's OK - not that I'm going to do it again and I'm going to be #$%&^ sure that the next time I say "DO NOT RETRACT HIM." but ... it's seems OK.

Is every retraction bad? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 PM

First I want to say that the orange junk is normal, I'm pretty sure. My 3yo is circed, and my 16 mo intact, and both of them occasionally have that orange junk in their diapers, and they both wear cd's. I've notice that it happens a lot when I use powder. But, again, normal. :)

About the retraction, I would def. make sure the dr. knows next time not to retract. at. all. My boys' new dr. tried to pull that crap with me and I told him "No. His penis is just fine. He has no problems, you don't need to touch it." Your Dr. had no reason to touch his penis. Unless it was red/swollen/etc, there would be no reason to believe that there was a cut. That's is what I would look out for after the retraction, though, Tenderness, redness, swelling, and/or difficulty urinating.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#3 of 6 Old 06-02-2011, 09:24 PM

The orange is called brick dust and it is caused by dehydration it has nothing to do with intact or circ boy or girl it just happens with really concentrated urine sometimes.

It dosnt sound like any harm was done but keep your eyes open for issues like redness since it can cause micro tears allowing bacteria in but I seriously doubt your ds will have issues.

It often happens so fast that before you can get the words out the retraction is occurring that is why I stopped allowing any Dr. to touch ds after the second time I had issues with them trying to retract him. If the penis needs looked at I pick it up and move it not the foreskin the whole penis and they can look all they want but they cannot touch.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

The orange is called brick dust and it is caused by dehydration it has nothing to do with intact or circ boy or girl it just happens with really concentrated urine sometimes.

Ok, now this is freaking me out - how is it possible that he's dehydrated? He nurses every 2 hours around the clock! But that makes sense - it was in a diaper that he had been wearing for a while but there was not a lot of pee in it. Of course I'm annoyed that my doc didn't think to suggest it ...

The ped suggested I offer him more water to drink - which I have been doign with a sippy (which he's not crazy about.)

I'm feeling a little more reassured about the retraction - I've been keeping an eye on his penis and it doesn't seem red, swollen, etc and I've been changing him more frequently too just to keep him clean(er.)

... but WTH about the dehydration? What else can I do but nurse him every 2 hrs - he's almost 1 year old!!!!

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM

This happened to my DS when he was less then a year old and just happened to sleep longer then usual one night and fell asleep early with out his usual nursing session.  He was used to waking and eating more often so I think he got a bit dehydrated.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#6 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Is it really hot there where you are or has he been more active than normal or sleeping longer? Any of those things can cause a bit of dehydration and it isnt that big a deal as long as it isnt a constant thing.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page