ugh! now i know what you guys are talking about - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm involved in the local ican group.

A mom just posted asking whether to get a regular or jewish circ? hmmm... how 'bout not doing it all.

I'm suprised at how much this enrages me. I just keep thinking that if it were a little girl no one would be thinking about it! And the most maddening thing is that we are not supposed to 'debate' circumcision, but it's totally ok to have post after post on what are the best kinds. Really?

How can people do this to their sweet perfect little boys?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#2 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cultural brainwashing, religious brainwashing, willful ignorance, no clue that there is another choice......and I am sure I could come up with a few more reasons if I thought about it another moment longer.  I prefer to think about why to keep a child intact.  It makes my educational work easier.

I totally understand your feelings.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#3 of 5 Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Its especially painful to see those kinds of posts in ICAN because those are mamas who see the value in preventing unnecessary surgery, and are working hard to make sure THEY don't have to have surgery :( But they won't offer their babies the same benefit? A mama in a group I was in asked where she could get it done since its not offered at the birth center. Another mama spoke up and gently encouraged her to do some research. (Meanwhile, I had been sitting on my hands afraid to say anything) And guess what? A few days later that mama came back, thanked her for the information and announced that they WEREN'T going to do it! joy.gif

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That is awesome news.  I think most people who are planning to circumcise (non religious reasons)  will decide to leave their boy intact if they receive the correct information.  I think It is possible to get through to most people. 

There will always be those who refuse to learn because they have their fears they choose not to surmount.  I don't know how to get through to those people.  I think the pressure of the greater population electing to leave their children intact will be effective in pressuring those who refuse to change.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#5 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think that's what's getting to me... These people go on and on about evidenced based care.. Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Its especially painful to see those kinds of posts in ICAN because those are mamas who see the value in preventing unnecessary surgery, and are working hard to make sure THEY don't have to have surgery :( But they won't offer their babies the same benefit? A mama in a group I was in asked where she could get it done since its not offered at the birth center. Another mama spoke up and gently encouraged her to do some research. (Meanwhile, I had been sitting on my hands afraid to say anything) And guess what? A few days later that mama came back, thanked her for the information and announced that they WEREN'T going to do it! joy.gif

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page