New Danish study: sex is more enjoyable and more consistent for intact men and their female partners - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

International Journal of Epidemiology 2011;1–15
doi:10.1093/ije/dyr104

Male Circumcision and Sexual Function in Men and Women: A Survey-based, Cross-sectional Study in Denmark

Frisch M, Lindholm M and Grønbæk M

Approximately 5500 participants were surveyed by researchers at the Danish National Institute of Public Health and the Statens Serum Institute, Department of Research Statistics. Participants were randomly selected by social security number (Danish civil registration number).

The study was just presented at the 20th World Congress for Sexual Health in *******, Scotland, 12–16 June 2011.

This cross-sectional survey took into account possible demographic differences (since circumcision is not just a medical procedure, but also a religious and cultural practice) by double-checking results across and within religious lines. Findings were stable across the robustness analyses. A key finding of this study and an issue that previous studies had failed to examine specifically was that circumcised men were roughly 3 times as likely as intact men to report frequent orgasm difficulties (11% to 4%). [Previously, Taylor JR and Cold CJ had discovered that a primary receptor to help achieve orgasm is located in the ridged band of the male foreskin (British Journal of Urology, Volume 83, Suppl. 1: Pages 34-44, January 1999.).] Female participants with a circumcised regular partner were slightly more than 35% more likely to report that their sexual needs were insufficiently fulfilled.

From the Conclusions section: "Circumcision [circumcised status] was associated with frequent orgasm difficulties in Danish men and with a range of frequent sexual difficulties in women, notably orgasm difficulties, dyspareunia and a sense of incomplete sexual needs fulfilment."

Since American medical associations are stressing that parents should have the fullest picture and the latest information before deciding on circumcision, doesn't it follow that parents will be told about this and similar studies? To date no study has shown improved sex from circumcision.

hildare likes this.
#2 of 5 Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 AM

That's very interesting Brant- but I'm curious how many circumcised men were even in the study... if the circumcision rate is less than 2% - they might have only had about 100 circumcised men/partners of circumcised men.

I'm also curious how they took demographic factors into account since almost all of the circumcised people would be either Muslim or Jewish... I'm curious if the same results would develop in a country like the USA where the circumcision practice is not contained within certain religious sects.

I wish that there would be more investigation into the effect of circumcision on female partners of circumcised men...I think that many women assume that they are the one with the problem (dyspareunia  ) when it's acv)  .))))

#3 of 5 Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM

I read the full article. There were 125 circumcised men in the study, plenty for statistical relevance. The study interviewed an equal number of women, too. They sorted for Jewish, Muslim, and non-Jewish/non-Muslim men. Other articles show that circumcised men are many times more likely to be diagnosed with erectile dysfunction.

#4 of 5 Old 06-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Dan, could you a give links to the articles linking circumcision and erectile disfunction?  Thanks.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#5 of 5 Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 PM

Very interesting information.  the organization NORM (National Organization of Restored Men)  has so much information on this subject, that I recommend you go to their site.  Also, the book "Sex, as Nature Intended it", is a wealth of information and every man and woman should read this book!  Highly recommended.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page