Basics on How to Care for Intact Boys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pregnant with my first child (a boy) and we have decided to not circumcise. That being said I am clueless as to the care involved and the do's and don'ts.

I would be immensely appreciate if the experienced ones out there could break it down for me from birth & beyond.

Also if you could point me to some good resources for intact care that would be wonderful!

Thank you!

Spending my days with my precious son, the greatest blessing in my life - appropriatley born on Thanksgiving day

​looking forward to when I can sleep more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch on a consistent basis!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Intact care couldnt be easier and the rules are very simple

1)Wipe from base to tip with diaper changes and bath.
2)Never retract or allow anyone to retract (push the skin back toward the body)

When he is old enough to understand simple instructions and IF he is retractable you can tell him in the bath to retract, rinse then replace the foreskin. Soap isnt needed and can be irritating so should be avoided or rinsed very well so that no irritation can happen.

The age or retraction varies by boy and it can happen at any time from birth (rare) all the way up to adulthood with the avg. age being 10.5yo.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Links:
American Academy of Pediatrics: “Care of the Uncircumcised Penis” http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/
With editorial notes by Circumcision Information and Resource Pages (CIRP).

Childbirth Educator Today: “Care of the Intact Penis”
http://www.cirp.org/pages/parents/peron1/

"Correct and Incorrect Hygiene of the Baby's and Child's Intact(Non-circumcised)Penis"
http://www.infocirc.org/top.htm

"Caring for the uncircumcised penis: What parents (and you) need to know"
http://www.cirp.org/library/hygiene/camille1/
Thorough pediatric journal article, with editorial notes by CIRP, includes discussion of non-surgical care of foreskin problems.

"Penile Hygiene for Intact (Non-circumcised) Males"
http://www.cirp.org/library/hygiene/

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 PM

I think you will be very surprised how easy it is to care for a normal baby boy.  As instructed above, there is simply nothing really special to do except wipe.  The occasional super messy poo diaper can be cleaned by gently swishing the baby's bottom in a sink/tub of warm water. 

In the first few days, the baby's stool is meconium, a dark sticky stool that can be hard to wipe from the skin.  I used a light coating of olive oil on the baby's bottom and it made the meconium wipe off so much easier!

I have also kept a small spray bottle in the bathroom that can be filled with warm body temperature water and used to spray off the messy poop during a diaper change.  I have a changing cushion on my bathroom counter right next to the sink and a shelf with diapers right there so the sink was very convenient.

I found the wrinkly scrotal skin more difficult than the penis to clean.  LOL

You will need to be super careful of medical staff wanting to pull the foreskin back to "clean" or "check".  There is nothing in there to clean or check.  Retraction of the foreskin is a sexual function.  The penis's only job at this point is to void urine.  The newborn/infant/toddler/young child penis is an immature organ.  At birth, the foreskin is one unit with the penis, totally fused to it much like finger nails to the nail bed.  You would never dream of ripping the nails up to clean under them or "check" them.  To do so would cause tearing of tender skin, bleeding and open an avenue for bacteria and infection.  We have some sort of crazy obsession with seeing the head of the penis by medical doctors in the US.  Many of them have no clue about how the penis develops.  This is a great video:  http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/video/prepuce.html   Watch it.  You will know more about male anatomy then 90% of American doctors!

Congratulations on your baby boy!  I wish you a fabulous gestation and a beautiful peaceful birth!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#5 of 5 Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 PM

I just wanted to say, what a wonderful idea about the olive oil on the bum...I will definitely be doing that with our next LO! :)

OP: Congrats on your boy!!!  People get worried about intact care because it seems mysterious, but the wonderful thing to know is that there is really NOTHING to it! Just wipe like a finger! The hardest part of having an intact son, quite honestly, is the ignorance of doctors and nurses. For some reason, they seem eager to try and push back the foreskin "just to check". 

You will have to be vigilant here because I can almost guarantee you that at some point, someone will try to do this to your son. It's best to be prepared ahead for how you will prevent and handle it. If I could start over, I'd just tell the nurse (or whoever) at his well baby check that he is peeing just fine, and that I am not comfortable with anyone handling the baby's penis. Non-negotiable. Period.

My kid is under 3. The only things that have even slightly worried me in regard to his intact penis is that once in a blue moon (maybe 2-3 times total?) he has experienced some redness and slight swelling of his penis, and a couple times indicated that it was painful when peeing. I think all occasions were due to natural separation of the foreskin from the glans, and resolved within a day without any special care. He has always, from day one, ballooned when urinating, and this has never been a problem nor has it worried me.

If you are concerned about keeping his diaper area clean you may want to check into Elimination Communication! My kid has super sensitive skin and we started doing this at about one month old due to a horrible, persistent diaper rash. It was amazing, he took to it from the start and no more poopy diapers. I like this book: Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post

I think you will be very surprised how easy it is to care for a normal baby boy.  As instructed above, there is simply nothing really special to do except wipe.  The occasional super messy poo diaper can be cleaned by gently swishing the baby's bottom in a sink/tub of warm water. 

In the first few days, the baby's stool is meconium, a dark sticky stool that can be hard to wipe from the skin.  I used a light coating of olive oil on the baby's bottom and it made the meconium wipe off so much easier!

I have also kept a small spray bottle in the bathroom that can be filled with warm body temperature water and used to spray off the messy poop during a diaper change.  I have a changing cushion on my bathroom counter right next to the sink and a shelf with diapers right there so the sink was very convenient.

I found the wrinkly scrotal skin more difficult than the penis to clean.  LOL

You will need to be super careful of medical staff wanting to pull the foreskin back to "clean" or "check".  There is nothing in there to clean or check.  Retraction of the foreskin is a sexual function.  The penis's only job at this point is to void urine.  The newborn/infant/toddler/young child penis is an immature organ.  At birth, the foreskin is one unit with the penis, totally fused to it much like finger nails to the nail bed.  You would never dream of ripping the nails up to clean under them or "check" them.  To do so would cause tearing of tender skin, bleeding and open an avenue for bacteria and infection.  We have some sort of crazy obsession with seeing the head of the penis by medical doctors in the US.  Many of them have no clue about how the penis develops.  This is a great video:  http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/video/prepuce.html   Watch it.  You will know more about male anatomy then 90% of American doctors!

Congratulations on your baby boy!  I wish you a fabulous gestation and a beautiful peaceful birth!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page