A mild critique of Intact America (IA). - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Cross posted at restoringforeskin.org)

I just received another slightly hysterical mailing-list email from IA entitled "June News: ONE MORE DAY to help us get ready for Rome!", which read in part:

Quote:
IT’S TIME TO PUT THE INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL COMMUNITY ON NOTICE

Next month, health professionals from across the globe are gathering in Rome for the International AIDS Society’s Annual Conference. Intact America will be there to give a voice to the millions of boys and men around the world who are at risk of being needlessly cut in the name of bogus science. Someone has to speak the truth: circumcision does not prevent AIDS.

With all the media focus on circumcision, we NEED to be prepared for this conference, so we can distribute educational materials to the hundreds of people we’ll be talking to—people who are determining HIV policy around the world.

But we have to get our orders in for the pamphlets, banners, and signs by TOMORROW so they can be printed and shipped in time for the conference.

Does IA really need to be taking a jaunt to Rome to "put the international medical community on notice" when it is U.S. agencies such as CDC, NIH and DoS (via PEPFAR) pushing the global circumcision agenda?

Most medical professionals in the international community (that are not dependant on U.S. support) already seem to be doing a good job of keeping a proper perspective on this circumcision-as-HIV/AIDS-preventative business.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm glad they are going there, and I supported them with money.  If you  don't want to, then don't.  

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 14 Old 06-28-2011, 04:56 AM

It is very important that a USA voice for genital integrity be heard by the same international community which is hearing a lot of USA promoting circumcision in the third world.  Not only do American parents and doctors need support from an international community to see the err in our ways- the international community needs to hear dissenting voices coming from America.  A "Jaunt to Rome" is not a vacation, it is the location of an important international conference.

#4 of 14 Old 06-29-2011, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

It is very important that a USA voice for genital integrity be heard by the same international community which is hearing a lot of USA promoting circumcision in the third world.  Not only do American parents and doctors need support from an international community to see the err in our ways- the international community needs to hear dissenting voices coming from America.  A "Jaunt to Rome" is not a vacation, it is the location of an important international conference.

This exactly!

#5 of 14 Old 07-01-2011, 04:43 AM

Intact America has been educating at the IAS conference for two years. They took over this initiative from ICGI who did it for two years. People who have stopped by the booth have two, general reactions. Some are surprised to hear that boys are being circumcised in America of all places. Others know that boys are needless being cut all around the world and they thank us for being there. 

HIV is the latest in a long line of "reasons" being offerred to rationalize this brutality. It is important that some organization draws a line in the sand. Thankfully, Intact America is willing to do that. Why this conference is important is because WHO, CDC, PEPFAR, and USAIDS will be there, too. As will thousands of HIV/AIDS healthcare professionals and health agency officials from around the world. IAS is where everyone involved gathers, making it an ideal venue for getting our message out to as many people as possible. 

#6 of 14 Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 PM

That's funny, when I saw that email, I thought the opposite-- for all the good work they DO on a work project, heck, yeah, they should get to go to Rome, too!

But I also agreed with what the other posters mentioned and see the value of participating in other countries, especially to alert others as to the situation here and garner support and awareness.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#7 of 14 Old 07-05-2011, 04:11 PM

This is an extremely important effort.  It is vital that the pro-circers at CDC and WHO, etc. are challenged.  Attendance is also a vital source of information.  The admission by a CDC rep that the rate of circ in the US is down to about 1/3 was only seen at the Vienna conference last year.  If IA had not attended no one in the US would have known about this.  Support of IA and NOCIRC is extremely important.

#8 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post

(Cross posted at restoringforeskin.org)

I just received another slightly hysterical mailing-list email from IA

Does IA really need to be taking a jaunt to Rome to "put the international medical community on notice" when it is U.S. agencies such as CDC, NIH and DoS (via PEPFAR) pushing the global circumcision agenda?

Well, I am one of the people they're sending to this conference. I'm putting a chunk of my own money into going, and whatever donations IA receives will help offset the very great cost. Just affording to be part of this is a challenge for me.

If you read any of my reports here from last summer's Vienna AIDS conference, you know what a difference it made to be there. The CDC has a very large presence at these conferences and they have specific open house hours during which you can question them / challenge them on any issue, and we absolutely did. Indeed, the US agencies dominate at these gatherings, regardless of the country they're held in. Last summer we learned a tremendous amount about the CDC's plans, and it is only because IA had representatives at all of their presentations that the world even knew about their 33% US circumcision figure and its intended use in scaring the public into thinking there was a looming public health crisis because America was circumcising a lot less -- it was not made public outside that room, except for the photos we took of their powerpoint slides. Were it not for us being there and the evidence we gathered, the New York Times would never have run the story about it.

Now do you really question the benefit of IA attending these conferences?

The year before in South Africa we were able to communicate face-to-face with representatives of the South African Medical Association, which has since come out with a statement strongly discouraging the circumcision of infants. I also went up to the mic in a room of about 300 people and gave WHO and UNAIDS an earful about their misguided and unethical circumcision programs.

Next year the IAS conference will be held in Washington, DC and IA plans to have a strong presence at that, too.

I hope people do give generously. I'm wiping out my savings by going to do battle at these things.

#9 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Brandt31, thank you so much for your dedication and personal sacrifice to attend and speak.  Your voice and information is very valuable!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#10 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brant31 View Post
Well, I am one of the people they're sending to this conference. I'm putting a chunk of my own money into going, and whatever donations IA receives will help offset the very great cost. Just affording to be part of this is a challenge for me

Next year the IAS conference will be held in Washington, DC and IA plans to have a strong presence at that, too.

I hope people do give generously. I'm wiping out my savings by going to do battle at these things.

Brant, thank you for the personal sacrifice(s) you are making in order to go.  I hope you have a very safe & fruitful trip.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#11 of 14 Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks to all of you for the support. I just got back from a brief family visit today and will be departing for the big conference day after tomorrow. If there is anything noteworthy to report, as in past years, you can be sure I'll post it here.

#12 of 14 Old 07-13-2011, 10:46 PM

Thank you so much for your work!  It is greatly appreciated by those who understand this issue.  Have a safe and educational trip and I await your report when you return!

Be well!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#13 of 14 Old 07-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brant31 View Post

Thanks to all of you for the support. I just got back from a brief family visit today and will be departing for the big conference day after tomorrow. If there is anything noteworthy to report, as in past years, you can be sure I'll post it here.

Another big Thank You for being there!  I cant wait to hear about it!

Mama to DS 2/23/2009 and DD 7/22/2014
#14 of 14 Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 PM

Thank you for all your dedication.  It seems so weird that all this effort should be necessary to stop the brutality of males, but it just is.  I had another thought about circumcision education:  why don't childbirth classes cover the specifics of circumcision?  I don't know of one that does.  they show plenty movies of live births so expectant parents will be informed, but not one video of a live circumcision.  Why is that?  Other than the topic of circumcision being a hotly debated issue, by not fully informing expectant parents of the procedure that is circumcision, with all the details seems just wrong.  Wait, I think I just answered my question:  Oh if they put in the required time of the subject of circumcision and told the truth, and then showed the horrific procedure, my guess is there would be NO circumcisions performed!  Wait a minute..... that would be a really good thing!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page