10 Reasons not to circumcise - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-06-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey everyone..

I'm new here and this is one of the things I wanted to talk to people about... circumcision.  I wrote a blog about reasons not to circumsize and I'd like to get your opinion on it.

http://philosophyspiritualityandscience.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/9-reasons-not-to-circumcise/

Also... I wanted to discuss the use of pacifiers with other moms/dads out here... any suggestion on which thread i should travel to?

PS- what does dd/ds and such mean? Im new sorry lol

#2 of 15 Old 07-06-2011, 03:46 PM

I think I'd also add how many complications there as well as the hygine issues of having an open wound in a place that's warm, dark, and filled with poop and pee.

DS= dear son

DD= dear daughter
DH= dear husband
DP= dear partner
DW= dear wife

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#3 of 15 Old 07-07-2011, 02:07 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Yeah I would definitely put a number 10 on your list about the risks of complications related to the circumcision such as infection and too much being cut, etc.  I like your list, I would like to show it to some friends but one reason I always mention to others about reasons not to circ is the risks that go along with the surgery

#4 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks you guys :) I will definately update it, and thx for the terminology update.. i thought thats what it was but wasn't sure :)  Crazy thing is... I was going to have my son circd when he was born but my insurance didn't pay for it so we were going to do it when we saved up money.. for once, thank god!  I would've felt so guilty for the rest of my life!!!.. I feel it's so wrong now.  Why would you cut off the tip of your penis! Sounds so crazy when you just think about it!  As if its just for decoration! Jeezzzzeeeee 

thanks ladies

#5 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

my blog has been updated!  Thanks ladies.. So its title is now 10 reasons not to circumsice!

#6 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 04:49 PM
2xy

I think your #8 should be moved up to #1. His body, his choice.

#7 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 PM

I'd try to go with things that cannot be argued. "Boys with foreskins have bigger penises" isn't exactly 100% true. An 8" circumcised penis is certainly bigger than a 6" intact one, is it not?

"In women, the same procedure is called Female Genital Mutilation." -- I have seen a lot of pro-circ'ers try to dispute this, by saying things like the vagina isn't a penis and vice-versa.

IMO, if you change those two points to something different, the list instantly becomes a lot stronger.

#8 of 15 Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 PM

One form of FGM is to the clitoral hood which is analogous to the foreskin of the penis.

#9 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 05:46 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post

I'd try to go with things that cannot be argued. "Boys with foreskins have bigger penises" isn't exactly 100% true. An 8" circumcised penis is certainly bigger than a 6" intact one, is it not?

"In women, the same procedure is called Female Genital Mutilation." -- I have seen a lot of pro-circ'ers try to dispute this, by saying things like the vagina isn't a penis and vice-versa.

IMO, if you change those two points to something different, the list instantly becomes a lot stronger.

How about "Circumcision removes a considerable amount of skin and makes the penis smaller"....?

Nobody alters the vagina in FGM. The vagina is an internal organ. In FGM, they cut the labia and/or clitoris, which is part of the vulva. Not knowing the names of body parts probably leads to many of the disputes you mention. People are confused and don't even know what organ they're referring to.

#10 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 05:51 AM

Circumcised penises are shorter by about 3/8" on average.* 

Consider adding a link to: http://circumcisiondecisionmaker.com/

Dan

*Richters J. Gerofi J, Donovan B. Are condoms the right size(s)? A method for self-measurement of the erect penis. Venereology. 1995:8(2);77-81.

#11 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 06:22 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bollinger View Post

Circumcised penises are shorter by about 3/8" on average.* 

In general....men worry about length....women are more concerned with girth. Just sayin'.

#12 of 15 Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/botch.htm 

http://www.mothersagainstcirc.org/death.htm 

There are these stats too:)

Looks good!  I like it:)

#13 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ladies Ladies...

I think men would like their penises bigger regardless of which way it is lol plus it's the fact that his penis could be smaller, if the skin is too tight, they cut wrong, etc.  I don't know if thats a risk worth taking.  Well, I obviously don't think it is. 

@Dan - I liked this from the Decision making webpage: "Washing, not amputating, is the answer."  

@1love4ever - I'm going to add those links in when I get a chance.  Its so so sad what happened to that little boy such a useless death it's disgusting.  and so dumb.... horrible. :(

#14 of 15 Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would expand on the FGM aspect by pointing out that if a family wanted their daughter to have her genitals surgically altered in the US (and most western countries) this is prohibited by law. However, it's legally permissable to operate on boys. I would ask why should daughters get protection when their brothers do not? 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#15 of 15 Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thats an excellent point i will add that as well.  Interesting isn't it?  The way society sees things..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page