Penn & Teller - Circumcision. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm still on the fence of what we are going to do if our baby is a boy (I'm 4 months pregnant, with two circ'd boys).. I personally have read the info, and don't *like* the idea of circumcision, but hubby is completely 100 percent for circumcision, even if it's just cosmetic..

Anyway, I'm not here to discuss that really, but just to share that I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLGcqPE7xu0&feature=related that hopefully my hubby will be willing to watch it since he's loved Penn & Teller's other Bullsh*t documentaries/shows.

Anyway, thought it might be of some help to moms with hubby's like mine ;)

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 06:23 PM

I really like the way this one is presented too (very matter-of-fact)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSM-SkwGEf0&feature=player_embedded

And my husband was 100% for circumcision too, so I feel your pain. I just happened to be 100% against.... since we had a tie, we let my son decide wink1.gif

And it was amazing... for all the huffing and puffing, dh got over it right away and it was never a problem. No animosity or anger, and he saw my point as soon as he realized what a non-issue foreskin really is. Kind of shocking actually how much of a non-issue actually, like why would anyone ever think to cut it off? In any case, good luck and I hope you can find the courage to stick up for your little one. It's so worth putting up a fight. thumb.gif

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#3 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Penn and Teller also concluded that recycling and buying organic were both bullsh*t, so I'm not sure why a natural-minded community would use their show as an argument against circumcision.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

Penn and Teller also concluded that recycling and buying organic were both bullsh*t, so I'm not sure why a natural-minded community would use their show as an argument against circumcision.

Well, because my husband tends to like their humor, and the way they present the arguments, even if in the end he disagrees...

And wouldn't you know, it did work. He (for the first time in weeks) opened up to talk about it whereas before he would basically just shut down and get upset.....

Night_Nurse likes this.

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#5 of 7 Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

and for what it's worth we recycle and buy organic ;)

#6 of 7 Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
Well, because my husband tends to like their humor, and the way they present the arguments, even if in the end he disagrees...

And wouldn't you know, it did work. He (for the first time in weeks) opened up to talk about it whereas before he would basically just shut down and get upset.....

before you talk w/ him again about it, please read this. http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/vincent/vulnerability_of_men.html

hopefully it will help you understand why he has had his heels stuck in the mud, until now.

i'm hopeful your next child will be the luckiest of all.

sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#7 of 7 Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Aww, that's great! These poor men, all they ask is for love and hugs and reassurance that they totally rock our world. Lol, I jokingly told my husband not to even worry about the  "look like daddy" argument, because, as I put it, I was sure our son would eventually be endowed like daddy, and that matters most winky.gif I was being silly, but I think that kind of thing being said out loud is really important. Along the lines of the link mama24-7 gave you, I think husbands really need reassurance that going the intact route is NOT a judgement against their penis... that they are in no way inferior and you are very happy with them just as they are. In my experience, the defense walls start crumbling down then, because that is the root of his argument, even if he never admits it. Actually, I think that is the root of a lot of the arguments against being intact... good old fashioned defensiveness. Since you already have 2 circ'd sons, I think a great way to go about it is "hey, we're all different and nobody's better." No hard feelings needed, no defending on the part of the circ'd or the (hopfully) intact sons needed. I think starting an open conversation about it is great. I found that it was far easier if I didn't "plaster dh to the wall with info" as he so delicately puts my discussion tacticsredface.gif I just let the conversation flow little by little over time and didn't press for him to actively discuss it unless he wanted to.

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page