Swollen, red penis in 6yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

X-post in Heath & Healing

My son is 6.5yo. Yesterday after a day of play he came home and complained about his penis hurting. It was swollen and red, the foreskin is unaffected and there is no discharge. There seems to be a very slight abrasion on one side, though my husband and I aren't sure. My son can't recall any injury to it during play or anything else that may have triggered it. Two things I immediately thought of were:

1. I caved and bought bubble bath which the children have been using every day this week.

2. we had been at a birthday party and my son ate an enormous amount of sugar, which is something his body is not used to. But I doubt the effect of sugar could be that immediate for an acute yeast infection? Within a few hours?

He says that it actually feels better when he urinates and has no pain with urination. I've been giving him epson baths with little improvement and does of probiotic. I'd like to treat it naturally for another 24hrs before taking him in to the doctor.

Would appreciate any thoughts or insight.

Thanks in advance,

Maeve

#2 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

I took him to our naturopath. She said he had an infection. He developed a low grade fever sometime this morning. She pulled back his foreskin (with his permission) and said he has a pocket of pus that needs to be squeezed out/cleaned and then soaked in a silver solution (SilverSol). She said it smelled.

I just want to make sure this is pus before I do this. I'm uncomfortable squeezing and breaking the skin any further. Also, not sure on the whole silver solution.

Would appreciate thoughts.

#3 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Bumping up so maybe someone more knowledgeable than I might respond. I understand why you might worry about a fever but I also know fever could be from various origins (not just a penile infection). Do you think it might be a smegma pearl? Search mothering for smegma pearl - someone had a link w/ photos a while back. Maybe that's all it is.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Certain it is pus, smells horrible. I know what smegma smells like, this isn't it. I'm just uncomfortable squeezing it out, maybe that's the norm.

#5 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 06:48 PM

An infection of what?  If there's puss to drain, there's a cavity of some kind. Is this on the surface of his foreskin, or glans? If she could smell it, I'd imagine there was a break in the skin already?  Is it ulcerated looking?   Seems like a culture would tell you better. 

#6 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 PM

I wish I could say something that would help. I've never really heard of anything like what you described. I have two intact boys 8yrs and 3yrs and nothing like that has ever happened to them. I suspect this is a form of separation. If he isn't complaining about pain upon urination then it should work its way out. Has the prepuce ballooned while urinating? In this case it could be a good thing since it would help flush the leftovers of its synechia (the same material that bonds the fingernail to the finger).

How did the doctor determine an infection? A culture? Did she say the odor was an overgrowth of yeast or bacteria? I also have daughters who smelled during a yeast infection but the doctor never commented on it. Odor is an indication of an imbalance. My circumcised husband has this problem sometimes too.

nocirc.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM

When the separation process starts both the glans and the foreskin in the area of separation is raw. If he touches it with dirty hands then it is very possible for an infection to move it. That is what happened with my ds. His whole penis and foreskin swelled to triple its normal size so he went on oral abx and topical OTC bacatracin. Within 24 hours he was nearly back to normal and in 72 hours he was 100% normal again.

I dont like the idea of messing with it in your ds's case because it could actually make it spread. I would do baths and let him play with it all he wants in there then rinse. I have no knowledge of the treatment you mentioned.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't fool with it. I did repeated epson baths yesterday, tons of probiotic, and herbal wellness. It is back to 95% normal today. Honestly, it is frightening how little is known about the care of an intact boy. I would have thought an alternative health practitioner would know. And though I've read all the links, seen the photos, etc. I still feel woefully inadequate when it comes to figuring it out. I need a spreadsheet: if A, then B, etc to help me follow the trail. If only it were that simple.

Many thanks to all for the help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page