2 Year old foreskin infection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-01-2011, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I noticed my 2 years olds penis was red, and less than 6 hours later he it was slightly swollen, more red and he was crying while urinating.  The redness was all the way up the shaft.  This has never happened before.  I immediately took him to the Dr. office.  Dr. prescribed ointment, warm compresses and antibiotics.  I am weary of giving him the antibiotics.  Any advice?  How do you give a 2 year old warm compresses?  Another thing that bothered me, was that the Dr.  immediately retracted his foreskin without any warning.  I wouldn't let her do it again.  Should I be worried about damage from that?

#2 of 2 Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What she done could be potentially damaging but at this point nothing can be done about it. The biggest concern is causing the infection to spread by moving things around.

When the separation process starts sometimes germs can move in where the skin is raw where it has separated from the glans especially with little hands playing around. Sometimes separation can present like an infection with swelling, pain and redness here is a thread that goes into more detail about that http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732

I personally wouldnt do the compresses since it would be very difficult if not impossible to do at his age. If it is separation and not an infection it will improve on its own in 24-48 hours so if you want to hold off a bit on the abx you can do so. Keep up with the abx if you started them though. Without her having done a culture to see exactly what was going on ie bacteria, yeast or no infection it is really hard to know if abx would help or hurt since it will make yeast worse.

What sort of ointment did she prescribe?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page