Our Hospital Experience - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey there mamas! I am just a few days home from the hospital with our latest edition and I wanted to share the positive experience we had regarding circ after I had the baby.

My DH (and I suppose myself too) have a pretty complicated view towards circumcision and without sharing too much personal information about my husband and my sons, some of them are intact, some are not, and two have had their status change during their life. While I am anti-circ, the major issues we have had on both sides on the coin have made the whole thing murky water for me. We knew we were having another little boy when we went to the hospital, but we hadn't made any firm decision either way.

We delivered at a hospital in a different state from where we live because I am high risk and we live very rural with limited access to specialized health care. Because of this, we were seen by the pediatrician on call rather than seeing a Dr we have a standing relationship with.Over the course of our three day stay we saw two pediatricians. We were asked multiple times if/when we wanted the procedure done. Each time DH would say that we haven't decided yet, what can you tell us. Each time it was stressed over and over how unnecessary the procedure is.

We heard about:

-the increased sensitivity for males who are left intact

-the fact that most of the world is intact and fine

-there is no reason to think it is unclean

-there are many risks that come with a circ

-the disconnect between males/females in our culture

-and more I am spacing...

We also were told two things if we did have it done. First to never ever retract and to never allow anyone other than our son retract and that it can be many years down the line. Second they both said that they won't do it themselves. If we wanted it done they would find a resident in the hospital to do it.

Anyway, I just thought I would tell you all about the way we were treated and the information we were given. It was a very positive and supportive experience! Please excuse any typos, I'm nak my beautiful and whole baby boy luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
joy.gif Congratulations, and thankyou for sharing such a wonderful story with us. Enjoy your baby moon!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Awesome news! It sounds like your doctors and hospital are great. Congratulations on your new baby!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 AM

Excellent news!joy.gif

I wish more doctors and hospitals were like that.  My friend recently had a baby at a local hospital, and all they did was bug her when she told them that she didn't want her son circumcised.  They kept saying that her son would have problems later in life and would have bladder infections frequently, because of not being able to clean under the foreskin.  She stood her ground and left the hospital with her son intact.

Jessie

Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 PM

Awesome. My hospital was very supportive, too. I think we got asked about circumcision by two peds and the LC. All three said, "Good" when we said we weren't doing it. And we live in an area with a very high circ rate. 

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

User Tag List