Gentle intactivism approach - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm hoping to refine my 'gentle intactivism' approach. Please help! The scenario: an acquaintance reveals in conversation that he/she plans on circing their soon-to-be-born son. Having read and researched widely on the topic (and having an intact son myself), I tend to feel strongly against RIC. I generally assume this person is un-informed. (Perhaps this is presumptuous, but most parents I know of who chose to circ their sons admit to doing no research on it). As a result, my conscience cannot let this opportunity pass by without at least planting the seed of doubt. But sometimes I am just at a loss as to what to say, and so I don't say anything, and then feel regretful later.

So, if you have a very short, non-judgmental, non-pushy spiel, what is it? If you want to provide someone just one link (again, not pushy or gory--just enough to get someone to think twice, and explore the topic more on their own), which site would you choose?

Today I pushed past my reservations and awkward feelings when talking with a male co-worker, and just made a brief remark about how there is a lot of misinformation surrounding this topic. For the link, I shared the Circ Decision Maker. I thought of this because it's easy to remember and has a lot of good info, and most importantly, encourages you by design to identify your reasoning. I feel okay about the resource I shared (though, of course, also open to suggestions!), but I am not yet comfortable with how to approach the topic itself. I'd like any suggestions of what kind of remarks you might use to open the topic a little. RIC isn't necessarily something I care to get into a lengthy discussion about in casual conversation with an acquaintance, so the shorter the better. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 07:32 AM

Thank you for recommending Circumcision Decision-Maker. It was written especially for expectant parents considering infant circumcision. It approaches the topic from a non-confrontational, pro-baby perspective, not anti-circ like other websites. Visitors have commented that they appreciate this common ground approach.

We have an invitation you can download and print. It is intended for birthcare providers like midwives and doulas, but would work for Intactivists, too. By the way, the website's name, although lengthy, is purposely memorable.  

Sincerely, Dan Bollinger

Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"You know, when I found out I was having a boy I was planning on having him circumcised. When I was researching the different methods I found out there are lots of complications from the procedure and that the foreskin actually has a function. My doctor said circumcision isn't necessary and about half the boys aren't circed nowdays. All of that lead me to change my mind about circ and I'm glad I left my son intact. I hope you'll research it too."

None of that is insulting or judgmental and it shouldn't make them feel defensive. It will plant a seed or two and let the parent to be know they have a choice.

Edited because I totally missed the part about wanting a link. I like this one:

http://www.oknocirc.blogspot.com/

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect. Thank you thank you thank you. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Nurse View Post

"You know, when I found out I was having a boy I was planning on having him circumcised. When I was researching the different methods I found out there are lots of complications from the procedure and that the foreskin actually has a function. My doctor said circumcision isn't necessary and about half the boys aren't circed nowdays. All of that lead me to change my mind about circ and I'm glad I left my son intact. I hope you'll research it too."

None of that is insulting or judgmental and it shouldn't make them feel defensive. It will plant a seed or two and let the parent to be know they have a choice.

Edited because I totally missed the part about wanting a link. I like this one:

http://www.oknocirc.blogspot.com/

User Tag List