Possible UTI: Advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-20-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, two nights ago my 9-month-old DS passed what I thought was a lot of gas in the middle of the night and went back to sleep. When my alarm went off 4 hours later, I changed his diaper and discovered that it wasn't gas but a huge poo. greensad.gif

Fast forward to today: his penis is bright pink and slightly swollen and has a weepy discharge. He has gone about 6 hours with a dry diaper. I'm sure this is a UTI, but his foreskin-friendly ped is closed until Monday, and I'm scared of attempted retraction if I take him to the doc-in-a-box. His behavior is perfectly normal, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Has anyone been in this situation? Advice? Can it wait until Monday? Anything I can be doing in the interim to prevent it worsening? Info on collecting a urine specimen without cath, if it comes to that (didn't I read something about a ziploc bag--I can't find it)?

TIA!

Mama to DD (7) and DS (1). gd.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpgcd.gifnocirc.gif  bftoddler.gif

#2 of 6 Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM

The rash on his penis/foreskin isnt going to be a sign of UTI him not passing urine though that might possibly be but usually a fever will show up with UTI pretty fast.

For the rash put on some breast milk and some good barrier cream to help sooth it. If he starts to run a fever then take him to an available Dr. and request no retraction and watch like a hawk. I would give him lots to drink and see if that wont urinate.

Hope he feels better soon.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-20-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

My description of what's going on wasn't so great. There isn't any rash--the penis is swollen, and there is a small amount of green/yellowish discharge coming from the opening of the foreskin.

He did have a very wet diaper not long after my original post, and he never cried or anything to indicate that urination was painful. Still no fever, thank goodness.

Mama to DD (7) and DS (1). gd.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpgcd.gifnocirc.gif  bftoddler.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM

The poo on his penis would have been very irritating so that would explain the swollen penis and discharge. Odds are good that it isnt a UTI just a nasty reaction to the acidic poo. If it isnt better by monday then I would take him in and get a swab to see if bacteria is growing.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-21-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

You were right-- the swelling and redness are gone today. He's urinating normally, and the discharge has decreased. I'll skip the doc unless the discharge continues for 2-3 more days. Thanks so much for your help! smile.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 PM

So happy he is better today smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page