Can you get your child circumcised in a Canadian hospital nowadays? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-27-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just really want to know as I thought we were pretty far ahead in these regards. It would break my heart if I knew they were doing that to kids in my small little community.

Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM

I do not think so but do not know for sure. I live in a fairly large city with two large hospitals and neither hospital will cirumcise a baby. To do so one must call to make an appt with the one dr who will do it who lives 30 min away and charges $400. So most parents will not get it done. Also most delivery drs say it is not necessary. I live in Eastern Canada.

#3 of 11 Old 08-27-2011, 05:34 PM

The hospital I had my son in does do circumcisions.  greensad.gif  I live in a medium sized city about an hour away from Toronto.  After my son was born, they asked me once if I was considering it, to which I replied, 'Hell no' and that was it; no one mentioned it to me again.  One of the other mothers in my room did want a circumcision, though, so I heard the nurse explain the payment to her.  It was going to cost about $150 for the doctor and another $150 for the hospital to have it done.  The hospital fee could be billed, but the doctor fee needed to be paid upfront in cash.  The parents did not have that money available and their son left intact.  Hopefully he still is.

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

#4 of 11 Old 08-27-2011, 06:25 PM

The circumcision question caught me off guard 9+  years ago when I had my DS in a, then small town, now small city, in Alberta.  The doc came in the day I was leaving to ask if we were wanting to circumcise.  DH and I both answered at the same time "NO" in a puzzled/surprised way.  We hadn't even discussed it.  LOL.  Doc said some thing to the effect of "I just had to offer you the info if you wanted, as I don't do them and you would need to make an appt"  I assumed from the "make an appt" that they are not done in the hospital. 

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#5 of 11 Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 AM

Seeing as Alberta has our country's highest circumcision rate (close to 50% bawling.gif), I would assume most hospitals do offer at least one doctor who will perform them.

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

#6 of 11 Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 PM

I live in St.Catharines, Ontario (Near Niagara Falls)  and unfortunately they do offer this "service"puke.gif in hospital here.  When I had my boys, 2001, 2004, it cost 250 if you did it before you were discharged and 275 if you made an appointment to have it done as an outpatient procedure (talk about incentive to get it done before you leave disappointed.gif

Most boys are left intact here, but there are still far too many being cut (any are too many, but YKWIM)  including my own stepsisters son poor baby!

I also heard that it is up to around 500 bucks now from a girl at work who just had a boy last year, so maybe they are trying to discourage it by hitting people in the pocketbook, but IMO, it just needs to be outright banned.

Take care!

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#7 of 11 Old 08-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Alberta was 44.3% in 2006/07.  Which was the highest rate in Canada.  http://www.courtchallenge.com/refs/yr99p-e.html  Those are the most recent stats I could find.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#8 of 11 Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I can't answer with respect to a hospital per se.  However one can get a child circumcised in most cities in Canada without much trouble.  It seems that even if there is no reason to, other than parental desire, one can usualy find a doctor to do it, who will then make up some excuse like "phimosis" to justify the procedure.

I talked to my doctor last year about the rate in Alberta, and she stated that a good 50% of the boys that she sees are circumcised, and that it has only been in the last five years that circumcising has become less popular.

#9 of 11 Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana View Post

Seeing as Alberta has our country's highest circumcision rate (close to 50% bawling.gif), I would assume most hospitals do offer at least one doctor who will perform them.

Yes, there's still at least one hospital in Edmonton who does them. A friend of mine brought her son in. Three of us with intact sons gave her all the info that she requested, but she and her husband chose to go ahead anyway.

Whoa, $500...you'd think that would be enough of a deterrent. That's a lot of money when there's so many other newborn supplies to pay for...

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#10 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario, and there are two doctors who will perform it in our hospital on an out-patient basis. You have to pay the hospital $200 and then sketchily pay the doctor $250 in cash only. LOL I can't believe some people still do it when it sets you back $450 bucks!

#11 of 11 Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM

My sister had her son in BC just this spring, 2011, and it would have cost $300 to get it done.  Fortunately her boyfriend didn't have the money as he was unemployed, he wasn't aware it would cost and hadn't saved up or borrowed the money.  She didn't want it done but was made to feel too dumb to argue with him, he was abusive and she left him when the baby was just 2 weeks old and has full custody.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page