Pre-chewed food may pose HIV threat to infants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-03-2011, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

An article linked from a MedinePlus mailing-list email.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_115956.html

Excerpt:

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new study from South Africa found that more than two-thirds of mothers and other caregivers pre-chew food for their infants -- possibly putting those babies at risk of HIV if the caregiver is HIV-positive.
"Once you become aware of the potential risk you have to share it with your patients, you have to make the community aware of the potential risk," Gaur concluded. "These studies should translate in terms of counseling and day-to-day practice."

#2 of 5 Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Why is this posted under Circumcision?

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

I think because it represents just another tine on the devil's pitchfork, poking at parents to get them to avoid natural parenting in favor of things that can be sold to them. 

Obviously pre-mastication is millions of years old and is no threat.  It's the HIV virus that's the threat. ABC and testing, not packaged baby food, is the answer. 

Putting all that aside, at least it's a rare AIDS news item that doesn't mention forced genital cutting to thwart HIV. 

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
#4 of 5 Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Low View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedenmomma View Post

I think because it represents just another tine on the devil's pitchfork, poking at parents to get them to avoid natural parenting in favor of things that can be sold to them.

Yeah, I does kind of seem relevant, since the least stupid-sounding pro-RIC argument I've heard is, "Men in third-world African countries get AIDS a little less often if they were circ'd as adults; therefore, you should circ your American baby when he's a couple days/hours old."

Because, apparently, lots of people are getting HIV not because of evil, evil foreskins but because their caregivers are feeding them HIV-infected blood. I bet education about things like this could go a long way and be more effective the circumcision in these countries.

#5 of 5 Old 09-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Maybe the food should be cut up first? That way the risk of it having HIV would be much less.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page