HELP I'm at the ER now... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my 4mos old has a fever and I'm at he ER. They want to check him for uti with cath... Nurse said she'll need to retract just a little bit....?? Help! Yes or no?
#2 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 12:28 PM

She only needs to move the foreskin back enough to see the urethra. Make sure to stand there close enough to physically stop her if she takes it farther than that.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 06:35 PM

You can also see if they can get a NICU nurse or a ped ER nurse with experience. Or you could take the diaper off, swab the penis with a wipe, and do a clean catch when he pees -- because his foreskin is fused there's no risk of "contamination" from stuff under the foreskin.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies... I was able to google what to do from a no circ website. Why are hospitals so freaking awful??? I begged if we could use the bag beforehand and they basically said no needed to be cathed... So while they're prepping he pees, they could've caught it but misses...so I ask "won't there be no urine in ther now". "oh no... There'll be some left".... So they cath him and it was so painful and horrific and they get NoTHINg!! So I was hysterical telling them "you're not doing that again...". So what do they do? Put a bag on him...
A$$holes.... Basically bullied me into torturing my son. And I let them. greensad.gif
#5 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 05:38 AM

hug.gif I am so sorry you and your ds had to go through that. When will you know if he has a UTI or did you get the results already?

I am glad you where able to get the info you needed from nocirc that is a wonderful resource.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the hug...so needed it. I will be calling for preliminary results this afternoon.... The urinalysis looked clean though. Of course! I never should have gone but since he's so young and had the fever, irritable/inconsolable, not nursing (this freaked me out)... Off we went. Once we got there his fever was lower (I got 104 they got 100.4.... Did I read it wrong??) and he nursed for the first time in 12 hours. The thing is that I err on the super cautious side so I need doctors who are chill and pragmatic. Unfortunately I got a resident who was content to fear monger etc... Well I got the full work up but the cath was the worst. It's so pathetic our care system... So. Pathetic.
My poor little guy....he's still under the weather but just had him checked at our pedi...probably viral...
#7 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM

At 4 months with a fever I would have been in the ER as well. For me when my kids where under a year I was super cautious since they cant tell you what is wrong or where it hurts.

I hope he continues to get better.
PatioGardener likes this.

#8 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

At 4 months with a fever I would have been in the ER as well. For me when my kids where under a year I was super cautious since they cant tell you what is wrong or where it hurts.
I hope he continues to get better.

Absolutely! Don't beat yourself up. You did the best you could. hug.gif

#9 of 13 Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM

OH!! I am so sorry that must have been just awful for you! hug2.gifYou did the right thing having baby checked out if you were nervous though! You really did!

Living a life like no one else, with my husband, and all our children
#10 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i*wish View Post
 Once we got there his fever was lower (I got 104 they got 100.4.... Did I read it wrong??) and he nursed for the first time in 12 hours.

My daughter always gets significantly better the second we step through the ER doors.  Never fails. LOL  You probably read it right and he just got a little better for whatever reason.  Sometimes I think it's just the fresh air and car ride to the hospital that does it.  I'm glad he's doing better.  Sorry you were bullied. :-(  I've been there, done that and it's awful!

#11 of 13 Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 PM

So, my dog had a UTI and they just took a sample of urine by inserting a needle from her stomach to her bladder, guiding the needle through an ultrasound.  

From what I just looked up, the same procedure, called suprapubic aspiration (SPA), can be done in humans with similar success to catheters, but less common (more common for males or infants).  Also, the ultrasound used in the procedure can actually help determine the volume of urine to reduce the chance of unsuccessful collection.  

I couldn't really find strong opposition to this procedure, it just appears less common.  My guess is there may be a sharp pain as the needle is guided, but I am not sure if it would really be worse then a catheter.

#12 of 13 Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM

I'm not sure if this tool is used for peds/infants but I have problems with recurring UTIs and I see a urologist for regular checks.  Every time I go in, they have me urinate (and collect the sample) and then they immediatley do a bladder scan to see if I am fully empty.  (Retaining urine leads to infections so they want me to be fully emptying).  My point is, there is a tool called a bladder scanner that is super quick and lets you know to less than 1mL how much liquid is in there.  Seems like it would be super easy to use that before cathing a poor baby!

Married since June 2009  fencing.gif

Expecting our first in early April 2012 stork-suprise.gif

#13 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 AM

There are a number of things that could cause a fever/ Is there any evidence its a uti? Might not be a uti.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page