Mom of 5 yr old intact boy-questions-pls help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, my son is 5 yrs old and not circumsized.  Sorry, if these questions are silly but if I ask my DH he will make me take DS to the Dr.  Okay my first question is lately my son has been saying his underwear is bugging him-too tight and the car seat strap is bothering his penis.  I noticed that he is becoming erect during times of the day.  It seems this is normal from what

I have been reading on these forums.  How do you go about explaining this to your 5 yr old?

I did notice sometimes it happens when he has to pee and other times not. 

My second question was when I looked closely at his penis I noticed little bumps under the

skin?  is this normal?  I have never noticed them before and thought this might be the best place to ask.  As I said if I mention it to my husband he will freak out and say to take him to the dr .

Since birth these are the only issues we have had.  Although, a dr retracted him at around 2 yrs old during a checkup.  I was mortified.  Atleast, that is what I thought I saw.  I immediately found another dr. 

Thanks for the help and this forum is a great resource.

#2 of 7 Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 PM

I have noticed the little bumps (like a bit of chicken skin but not that bad) with ds as well never gave them much thought or anything though. If he was complaining I might worry but he hasnt said a word so I figure it is normal.

I have told ds when he gets an erection that it is normal and that it is supposed to do that and nothing to worry about and he seems to have accepted that. It is normal I think as they age to notice erections more and get them more.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 7 Old 10-26-2011, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

You could say that the penis has more blood come to it some times, like when it's rubbed, so that's why it changes like that.  

You didn't say if he is retractable at this point or not (which is normal if he isn't!), but if he isn't, could it be smegma under the skin?  And, if it is, that's normal too.

Sorry you have to deal w/ a fearful dh.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 7 Old 10-26-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.  I've never seen him retract before.  Like I said when he was 2 yrs old a dr did retract him-so would that mean he is retractable?   I just looked at the bumps again.  The are just slightly raised areas.  Looks like something under the skin-but slight.  Lighter in color.  Its terrible that i cannot even take him to the dr about these issues and get a correct answer.   The current pedi we have now has always been in agreement with what is said on these forums.  But when I saw him (Dr)last I asked about the retraction thing and he said by six he should be able to retrarct.  Which I have read on here and even someone posted a link from the american pediatrics that they may not retract until 10 yrs old or after.  So now I have to doubt his advice re this issue.  So if I go into the dr's office I will take the printout to show him.

Its tough having a DH who is just phobic about anything natural- drives me insane. 

#5 of 7 Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

The bumps are not like chicken skin bumps.  They are larger -flat raised areas but slight.  Maybe its just the ways it is?  I don't know.

#6 of 7 Old 10-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post

Thanks for your replies.  I've never seen him retract before.  Like I said when he was 2 yrs old a dr did retract him-so would that mean he is retractable?   I just looked at the bumps again.  The are just slightly raised areas.  Looks like something under the skin-but slight.  Lighter in color.  Its terrible that i cannot even take him to the dr about these issues and get a correct answer.   The current pedi we have now has always been in agreement with what is said on these forums.  But when I saw him (Dr)last I asked about the retraction thing and he said by six he should be able to retrarct.  Which I have read on here and even someone posted a link from the american pediatrics that they may not retract until 10 yrs old or after.  So now I have to doubt his advice re this issue.  So if I go into the dr's office I will take the printout to show him.

Its tough having a DH who is just phobic about anything natural- drives me insane. 

There's actually not a general consensus on when boys should be retractable.  Some studies say by 3, others by 6, and I believe I've only read one that said 10.5, which is the most quoted.  Personally, my opinion is that the foreskin retracting has no purpose  other than sexual.  If it's not impeding urination, I say leave it alone.  You may try to ask your doctor why it is that he believes that at such an arbitrary age your son needs to be retractable.  Tell him your son has no problems with urination or infection and you'd like a clear, concise explanation of why it is that 6 is the magic number.  If he can't give you one (and he can't), then explain to him that as long as your son is not having trouble with urination or infection, you will not pursue any medical 'remedy' until he's past puberty.  Even then, some men simply never retract. 

Regarding the erections/pain, men and boys are more sensitive when erect, that's most likely the issue.  Let him know that often when you have to pee really bad you'll get an erection.  Sometimes his penis will get erect when it's stimulated by touching or rubbing clothes.  Let him know that it will go away (also, that's a really good time to have the 'privates are private, no one but mom or dad (or physician if mom or dad are present) should be touching them right now'), and that it's totally normal.

The little bumps may be smegma pearls.  If so, they'll work their way out on their own.

Good luck.

nocirc.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpgdiaper.gif No Circ/EBF/Babywearing/Co-sleeping/Homebirthing/CDing Dr. mama to 4 boys and 4 girls.

#7 of 7 Old 11-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Look at your own areolas and the tissue around your inner labia. Do they have similar little bumps? Yeah, those are glands, and your son's penis and scrotal sack comes by them naturally.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page