Preventing accidental circ in hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone know of stickers for diapers bassinet, shirts or other ideas to ensure circ does not happen in hospital? During my VBAC attempt with my ds I ruptured and he ended up in the nicu for a couple days. We told every nurse who came in to check on me or give me news about our ds that he was not to be circumsized and when he was being brought to me the nurse said they are just prepping him for his circ and then they'll bring him to you and I screamed "no, don't let them touch his penis!" and she was able to stop it, whew! Thank god that poor little guy skirted that disaster but now I'm pregnant again and will be having a csection early to avoid rupturing and I am terrified that if he ends up in the nicu again we will have the same scare. I need something my dh can easily add to his diapers or whatever to make it more clear to anyone new in there that he is perfect just as he is. Any suggestion?

Tia,

Kim

Kim - Mama to my two beautiful babes DD 05/2007 & DS 05/2009
#2 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM

There are onesies you can get that say NOCIRC, you can write on his belly NOCIRC; I'm sure you could designate a few diapers and write NOCIRC there, too!

#3 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, maybe I'll do the shirt. I don't want to tell my dh to write anything, his writing is illegible and he might not do it. He would be more likely to add a sign or sticker. I'll keep searching or maybe I need to make something

#4 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 10:21 AM

I would just make a simple sign (NO CIRCUMCISION) and give it to the nurse to put in his bassinet. I wouldn't write "NOCIRC" because it might take a nurse/doctor a little bit to figure out what that means (or else they'll look right past it). I just had a baby boy and, thankfully, he wasn't really out of my sight. He did have to go to the nursery for about 30 minutes while the pediatrician checked him out and cleared him to leave but I followed and watched everything from the window. Before the nurse took him for that though I made sure there was a "No Circumcision" sign in his bassinet. I had also told my OB (here the OB's do the circ, not the ped) that we weren't going to circ so he wouldn't have done it anyway.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#5 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, perhaps the sign is the way to go. Our OB was def. on board too but he was under the care of the nicu which changes who performs it, scary.

#6 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I think I may buy or make these http://www.cafepress.com/intactivism.253995328

Thought I'd share in case anyone else was looking.

#7 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM

Hospitals cannot legally perform circumcisions without a signed release from parents. If what you describe happened as you remember it, you really ought to take this up with the hospital. Did you write a letter at the time? Talk to anyone about it? Because that is something you would want to have documented. If not, you should definitely contact the L&D department now, in writing.
#8 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM

http://www.webmagician.com/pubservice/protect_him.html  this site gives you ideas of what to do.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#9 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 PM

i would not rely on T-shirts and stickers. i would send a registered letter (or is it a certified letter?) to the hospital's legal department; let them know what happened last time and make it clear that their policies are definitely OFF and that you want to make it abundantly clear that under no circumstances is your son to be circumcised. and that you will sue them if they so much as prep him for a circumcision this time.

sheese.

may i ask what state this happened in?

what an atrocity.

#10 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Tropicana, good advice. I would send it to the Hospital's Risk Manager who will be onsite. Their attorney will be in an office across town. Also, CC the OB and Ped, and then post a copy in your room. 

#11 of 13 Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM

If you Google "DO NOT circumcise ankle bands" you can get some free waterproof bands to put on your newborn. 

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
#12 of 13 Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I wrote "I DO NOT consent to circumcision!" on every single hospital paper I was given to sign and bought large stickers for his bassinet and his chart and my chart.  He roomed in with me, but every nurse and doctor that had to take him out of my sight (only happened three times), I made sure they knew they weren't to bring him down for a circ.  I had four nurses tell me they admired my defending my son's right not to be circed.  One even asked to keep a copy of one of my signs so she can make copies for future Mothers with the same views birthing their babies on the ward.  orngbiggrin.gif

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#13 of 13 Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackstone444 View Post

I wrote "I DO NOT consent to circumcision!" on every single hospital paper I was given to sign and bought large stickers for his bassinet and his chart and my chart.  He roomed in with me, but every nurse and doctor that had to take him out of my sight (only happened three times), I made sure they knew they weren't to bring him down for a circ.  I had four nurses tell me they admired my defending my son's right not to be circed.  One even asked to keep a copy of one of my signs so she can make copies for future Mothers with the same views birthing their babies on the ward.  orngbiggrin.gif

bravo.... and yet, FRIGHTENING that the nurses seem to have to take it upon themselves to make copies for other mothers to post, to protect babies from erroneous circumcisions in their hospital that the parents do not consent to. in other words, do the nurses know that it is hospital practice to just scoop up the boys and circumcise, with or without consent???

FRIGHTENING. 

i do believe that EVERYONE whose son (or daughter) is circumcised without consent should sue the pants off the hospital where it happened.

that should put a stop to circumcisions without consent at least.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page