Need more ideas for my intact son who is incontinent and says it "hurts" when he pees (x-posted in Health and Healing) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2011, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies, I could use more ideas. My 4 1/2 year old is having immense trouble potty training, and seems often surprised that he has wet his pants. He has recently complained that it "hurts" when he pees and that it feels better when he wets his pants. However, he never cries out that he's in pain. I've taken him to 2 doctors to have a cursory check for a bladder infection, with negative results (though the Urgent Care doctor did say he has "trace" amounts of blood in his urine, which she said was normal. However she also said she recommended circumcision to cure his problem, so I take her expertise with a grain of salt.)

My son has a history of yeast overgrowth, can anyone help me with other avenues to pursue? The Urgent Care doctor also said he may be irritated from soap, fiddling, etc. Perhaps my son has a little roughly retracted himself recently?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Probably not what you want to hear, but both my ds's have chronic yeast overgrowth (but neither has ever had a yeast infection of the penis/foreskin), and both have peed themselves w/o appearing to know what they are doing.  I practiced EC w/ ds1 when he was one & until we eliminated gluten & corn, he'd pee w/o knowing it.  Ds2 has been EC'd since 3 days old & since we have yet to eliminate all his allergens, he still stands there & pees & knows it when it hits the floor and/or his foot. :-( 

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info on this.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the response. We went to his foreskin-friendly doc today and he diagnosed a yeast infection, which I suspected. I've wondered the same thing about allergens, particularly with gluten. My DS1 was on the SCD diet for 2 years of his life, and I know from my own experience how easy it is to regress after healing a yeast overgrowth. I just can't bear to put him back on that diet.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 AM

My youngest son constantly had trouble with yeast.  On his penis, in his mouth, and he'd give it to me when I'd nurse him.  I started giving him Kefir once he was a little bit older, and that helped a lot.  Will your children drink Kefir?  Or eat more yogurt?  Or maybe GSE topically and orally.   Just a thought since you don't want to change his diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post

Thanks so much for the response. We went to his foreskin-friendly doc today and he diagnosed a yeast infection, which I suspected. I've wondered the same thing about allergens, particularly with gluten. My DS1 was on the SCD diet for 2 years of his life, and I know from my own experience how easy it is to regress after healing a yeast overgrowth. I just can't bear to put him back on that diet.

nocirc.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpgdiaper.gif No Circ/EBF/Babywearing/Co-sleeping/Homebirthing/CDing Dr. mama to 4 boys and 4 girls.

User Tag List