My 10 week old might have an infection - help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-19-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Could someone please tell me what an infection looks like in an uncircumsized infant? My 10 week old has had a normal color foreskin, but now it's turned red and looks inflamed.

He also has a slight fever (99.4) F

Does anyone know where I can find pictures so that I can compare? Also, what would I do if it was in fact an infection... I know *nothing* about taking care of the uncircumsized penis. I only know that I'm not supposed to retract, which I haven't at all. I also instructed DH not to - he says he hasn't.

Please help!! Im so worried! 

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#2 of 14 Old 11-19-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Also, do you think I ned to retract it to clean it?

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

#3 of 14 Old 11-19-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No never retract it can cause your ds harm.

It could be that he just has a diaper rash. I would try using a good barrier cream for the next day and see what if any improvement happens. If it does not improve then I would take him in for a culture making sure the Dr. does not retract. It could be yeast in which case nystatin is the right treatment. It is really unusual for a child your ds's age to get an infection without retraction happening usually it is yeast or a diaper rash.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 14 Old 11-19-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you! I do have some balmex here. I will try that. I have no idea about any of this since my first son was circumsized. It's so scary not knowing. Thanks again.

#5 of 14 Old 11-20-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a way to tell if someone has retracted the foreskin? Is there anything I can look for?

#6 of 14 Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM

Not really.  Yeast can cause tiny tears in the preputial sphincter as well (the opening of the foreskin).  It's not likely he was retracted.  That by itself is not very likely to cause an increased temperature, and 99.4 is nothing to worry about.  How much of the prepuce (foreskin) is red?  Is it just the tip?  That's pretty normal.   You can try a 1% cortisol cream or a some lotrimen and see how that works.

Retraction is not ideal, but one time of retracting is not very likely to cause terrible harm, regardless.  If he'd been repeatedly retracted and that were the cause of the problem, then it would have been red for quite awhile now.

Do you cloth diaper?  If so, have you changed detergeants, or do they need to be stripped?  Have you been giving him bubble baths, or been washing his penis with soap?  Those things can cause irritation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing1Thing2 View Post

Is there a way to tell if someone has retracted the foreskin? Is there anything I can look for?

nocirc.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpgdiaper.gif No Circ/EBF/Babywearing/Co-sleeping/Homebirthing/CDing Dr. mama to 4 boys and 4 girls.

#7 of 14 Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Lonelypageturnr, just the tip is red now. The whole bottom half was red yesterday before I applied the balmex.

I'm wondering if he's also teething. He has had his hands in his mouth and is drooling. 10 weeks seems early, but it seems like teething to me. That might be the reason for the fever.

No one would have purposely retracted him, but when we are wiping him down there I wonder if we are wiping him properly. I mean - he has pretty big poops and they frequently spread through his entire diaper area. I just try not to touch it too much because I feel I don't know what I'm doing redface.gif Sometimes I just bathe him, but most times I use wipes or washcloths. I'm not sure I know how to clean it properly.

For diapers, we use disposables because I don't have my own washer/dryer at the moment. Recieved a gift of a huge box of disposable diapers which smell terrible. Some kind of baby powder type fragrance. Maybe thats causing the irritation...

#8 of 14 Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM

The area between the scrotum and the penis will often get red with diaper rash. I learned really early on to make sure I raised his penis off his scrotum and wiped that area well even if he only had a pee diaper or it got irritated.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#9 of 14 Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 AM

I bet the teething is the fever smile.gif.  Some babies do teeth at 10 weeks, development is a curve.

Diaper rash can often spread to the base of the penis and top of the scrotum.  The fact that the barrier cream worked suggests that's the likely cause.  That part on the tip is very very often red for intact boys.  As long as it doesn't seem painful and he has no problem urinating (and there's no other signs of infection or trauma, such as swelling, bleeding or actual pus, which looks different than smegma) then try a little 1% Cortisone if you feel really uncomfortable with the redness, you can find it at any pharmacy. 

The synechia is pretty firmly attached.  A little gentle pulling when wiping is a total non-issue.  Even if it tugs the foreskin back a little.  You can not damage your kid by wiping them, unless you're using a brillo pad or a blowtorch.  Well, or wiping harder than I've ever heard of a parent wiping their child.  Or using sandpaper.  Anyway, no, that's not likely.

Ahhh.  Scented diapers.  Does he frequently have a rash on his behind, too?  Did you just switch to these diapers?  Has there been any skin drying or anything?  I'd pick up a couple of very small packs of different brands of diapers and try them out.  See if there's anything he's a little more able to deal with.  Another thing you can do is cut strips of polyester fleece, the size of the crotch of the diaper (you can just cut rectangles) and wash them, then lay them between the diaper and your baby's butt. 

Good lucksmile.gif.  It sounds like the intact penis really worries you.  Trust me, it's not nearly worth all the worry.  It'll pretty much take care of itself.  If you go into it freaked out, you'll find symptoms of something, when it's usually nothing.

Hugs  hug2.gif,
LPT

Quote:

Hi Lonelypageturnr, just the tip is red now. The whole bottom half was red yesterday before I applied the balmex.

I'm wondering if he's also teething. He has had his hands in his mouth and is drooling. 10 weeks seems early, but it seems like teething to me. That might be the reason for the fever.

No one would have purposely retracted him, but when we are wiping him down there I wonder if we are wiping him properly. I mean - he has pretty big poops and they frequently spread through his entire diaper area. I just try not to touch it too much because I feel I don't know what I'm doing redface.gif Sometimes I just bathe him, but most times I use wipes or washcloths. I'm not sure I know how to clean it properly.

For diapers, we use disposables because I don't have my own washer/dryer at the moment. Recieved a gift of a huge box of disposable diapers which smell terrible. Some kind of baby powder type fragrance. Maybe thats causing the irritation...

nocirc.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpgdiaper.gif No Circ/EBF/Babywearing/Co-sleeping/Homebirthing/CDing Dr. mama to 4 boys and 4 girls.

#10 of 14 Old 11-24-2011, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

The area between the scrotum and the penis will often get red with diaper rash. I learned really early on to make sure I raised his penis off his scrotum and wiped that area well even if he only had a pee diaper or it got irritated.

Thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonelyPageTurnr View Post

The synechia is pretty firmly attached.  A little gentle pulling when wiping is a total non-issue.  Even if it tugs the foreskin back a little.  You can not damage your kid by wiping them, unless you're using a brillo pad or a blowtorch.  Well, or wiping harder than I've ever heard of a parent wiping their child.  Or using sandpaper.  Anyway, no, that's not likely.

Good lucksmile.gif.  It sounds like the intact penis really worries you.  Trust me, it's not nearly worth all the worry.  It'll pretty much take care of itself.  If you go into it freaked out, you'll find symptoms of something, when it's usually nothing.

Sandpaper lol.gif  Glad to hear the synechia is tougher than I thought. That is wonderful news. I always thought if I pulled on the foreskin -even gently- it would retract the penis.

Yes, this does make me very worried. My entire family is telling me that he will get an infection because he is intact. I circ'ed my first son because I didn't research and, at the time, I believed it was best. Wish I had looked into it more, but everyone in my family is circ'ed and I thought it was a no-brainer. No brain is right!

By the way, the redness cleared up completely when I changed diaper brands. Thanks again for the info!

#11 of 14 Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 AM

No problem!

It sounds like your family is giving you a lot of pressure.  Maybe next time you could say something like "Thank you for your opinion, but baby b is intact, and we are leaving him that way.  This is not up for discussion, so please stop." or something that lets them know that they're not really welcome to comment on it.  You don't need that extra anxiety.

Quote:

Thanks for the tip!

Sandpaper lol.gif  Glad to hear the synechia is tougher than I thought. That is wonderful news. I always thought if I pulled on the foreskin -even gently- it would retract the penis.

Yes, this does make me very worried. My entire family is telling me that he will get an infection because he is intact. I circ'ed my first son because I didn't research and, at the time, I believed it was best. Wish I had looked into it more, but everyone in my family is circ'ed and I thought it was a no-brainer. No brain is right!

By the way, the redness cleared up completely when I changed diaper brands. Thanks again for the info!

#12 of 14 Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I sure don't need the extra anxiety!

I come from a very traditional background and I'm also a little superstitious (working on that), so changing the way things have always been done makes me fearful. But I have to follow my mommy gut on certain things - and righto! these things are *not* up for discussion!

#13 of 14 Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 AM

Congrats on leaving baby #2 intact!!!! My son is intact and over the past 2.5 years of his life, he has had a few occasions where the foreskin/penis became inflamed looking/red/sensitive. But this  always subsided within 24 hours. In general I attributed it to the natural foreskin separation process, but your son is a probably little young for that.

As for the diaper rash idea, have you ever heard of elimination communication? I never had before my pregnancy, but I began using this gentle potty method with my son after a brutal diaper rash that wouldn't go away at 4 weeks old. I am so happy I did...he was accident-free by 18 months (done with daytime diapers by 12 months, nighttime by 15 mos). But best of all, no more rashes!! Since he almost never pooped anywhere except in a bowl/potty, the cleaning of the foreskin opening was basically a non-issue. "Infant Potty Training" (by Laurie Boucke) is a good place to start; I also really liked "Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene".

Also, as for the wipes, I did use them but always first rinsed them well in warm water in the sink to both warm them up and eliminate (or at least dilute) the chemicals they were soaked in. When he was small enough, I would just run his bottom half under warm water in the sink when needed for a thorough rinse. Good luck!

#14 of 14 Old 12-02-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! I have heard of EC and wanted to try it at some point, but not with a colicky/refluxy baby. I barely have time to sleep lol! Maybe next baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page