"Real Housewives" show and circ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I saw a trailer for the newest episode of THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF ATLANTA and it looks like one of the women is  pregnant with a boy and circumcision will be discussed on the show (tonight, I think...)  The show is pretty offensive in many ways (hate to admit it, but yes, I've seen it before) but the clip had the mom use "peepee" and "turtleneck" in the same sentence...ugh.  Doesn't look too promising : (

Just wanted to give a heads up to those who track circ in the popular media.

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 01:40 PM

I saw this part.  The parents seemed really disturbed at the thought of circumcising, didn't want to cause pain, etc, but yes, she said "I don't want my son going through life with a turtleneck on his peepee."  They didn't say what they decided, but I assume they did circ from that comment.  They discussed it last season when another of the moms had a baby boy and they also circ'd.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Atlanta is not known for its crunchiness. The nearby smaller town of Decatur is. Just speaking as someone who lived there for 15 years.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 PM

YK, this is off topic, i don't watch that show. or any show like it for that matter. but to the turtleneck comment. 

my 2 yo son is naked all the time at home, by his own choice. so i'm seeing his penis frequently. and i think it's nice that he's got that nice thick layer of protection around his penis. turtleneck. whatever you want to call it. a nice blanket, maybe? who would not want that???

and my daughter, who is 5, noticed him with a semi-erection, and asked about his penis popping out from inside. and i said, yes, the foreskin is on the outside, and the penis is on the inside. and SHE said (a 5 year old): "so the foreskin protects the penis in case it got cut or something" (yk, the kind of cuts that little kids get on their knees and stuff, she was relating to how the skin on the penis is there to absorb any such impact.

so smart!

how can some adults just not see that reality??

Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure why the turtleneck metaphor is used as if literal turtlenecks were bad thing.

(I always thought of the foreskin more like a little sleeping bag though.... Looks nothing like a shirt of any kind!)

Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 AM

I think they assume that the glans hangs out of the foreskin (or when it's erect, the foreskin is all bunched against the base of the glans/corona) so that it would be the 'head' popped out of a turtleneck sweater.  Considering neither happens, I think it's stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

Yeah, I'm not sure why the turtleneck metaphor is used as if literal turtlenecks were bad thing.

(I always thought of the foreskin more like a little sleeping bag though.... Looks nothing like a shirt of any kind!)

nocirc.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpgdiaper.gif No Circ/EBF/Babywearing/Co-sleeping/Homebirthing/CDing Dr. mama to 4 boys and 4 girls.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPageTurnr View Post

I think they assume that the glans hangs out of the foreskin (or when it's erect, the foreskin is all bunched against the base of the glans/corona) so that it would be the 'head' popped out of a turtleneck sweater.

A little OT, but I recently read a long thread elsewhere featuring the usual debating between circumcised and intact guys and what they would do to their kids. It took me a little while to catch on, but I was fascinated to realize that many of the neonatally circumcised guys assumed that the foreskin was a single sleeve of skin attached at the sulcus and loose at the other end. In other words, it wouldn't roll or glide back, but instead it would "flap" and get in the way of sex.

Some of these guys were dumbfounded to learn that the foreskin was in fact integral to the penis shaft skin, doubled upon itself, and capable of being slid all the way down the the pubis and "disappearing" when the adult penis is flaccid. Thank goodness some of the more patient and articulate men explained just how it's designed and how it works. At first the pro-circ guys couldn't get their minds around it, then they were strangely silent.

Now I can see that some of those calling the foreskin "a flap of skin" honestly are visualizing something completely different from what it is. Previously I thought they were just trivializing the foreskin and circumcision. They were actually badly misinformed (or self-informed).

Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 AM

Huh.

I honestly did not realize that.  Really sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brant31 View Post

A little OT, but I recently read a long thread elsewhere featuring the usual debating between circumcised and intact guys and what they would do to their kids. It took me a little while to catch on, but I was fascinated to realize that many of the neonatally circumcised guys assumed that the foreskin was a single sleeve of skin attached at the sulcus and loose at the other end. In other words, it wouldn't roll or glide back, but instead it would "flap" and get in the way of sex.

Some of these guys were dumbfounded to learn that the foreskin was in fact integral to the penis shaft skin, doubled upon itself, and capable of being slid all the way down the the pubis and "disappearing" when the adult penis is flaccid. Thank goodness some of the more patient and articulate men explained just how it's designed and how it works. At first the pro-circ guys couldn't get their minds around it, then they were strangely silent.

Now I can see that some of those calling the foreskin "a flap of skin" honestly are visualizing something completely different from what it is. Previously I thought they were just trivializing the foreskin and circumcision. They were actually badly misinformed (or self-informed).

nocirc.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpgdiaper.gif No Circ/EBF/Babywearing/Co-sleeping/Homebirthing/CDing Dr. mama to 4 boys and 4 girls.

Tags
Circumcision
User Tag List