Mothering Forum banner

Anyone considering getting their daughter circumcised?

9K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  aeterna 
#1 ·
This is really embarassing, but I cannot orgasm. I've tried everything and then some, my poor dh has tried everything and then some. I've spoken with my mother and aunts, it is an uncomfortable topic, but they all have the same problem, though I wonder if their age and environments they group up in gave them less opportunity to try and solve the problem.

I recently took a human sexuality class and the teacher said that sexual dysfunction in women is quite common with a majority of women reporting no orgasm and even outright dislike and pain of sex. This made me feel less broken, but now I am having a daughter and I fear she will have the same problem with dislike of sex and no orgasm.

I read an article "Pleasure and Orgasm in Women with Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting" from The Journal of Sexual Medicine in 2007 and it stated that girls circumcised before puberty reported orgasm over 91%. The nerve ending getting rewired to more accessible places. I would like my dd to enjoy sex and make her and her husband happy and 91% seems like much better odds than normal and much, much better than my family.

People say female circumcision is bad, the west has a very bad very of female sexuality, half naked women to sell everything and then call them sluts is confusing! I feel I owe her the best chance I can give her and this seems the best choice. Anyone else doing the same thing or different way to teach daughter to orgasm?

See less See more
#28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantOfTheWeek View Post

Dear OP, learn how to use a vibrator.
That's insulting and obnoxious. Inability to orgasm is really, really hard to deal with, and people coming out with flip comments like "learn to use a vibrator" really don't help, even a little bit. FWIW, I use one sometimes, mostly during sex with dh - but I can't get off with one. Just because it works for some people (maybe even most - I have no idea) doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Reactions: ~adorkable~
#32 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

If you are here to advocate for circumcision then your membership will be closed.
An enormous relief to read that this is still the policy. Hopefully regarding healthy minors of both genders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

I just wanted to clear up, for the edification of anyone reading this thread later, that female circumcision has never been associated with better female sexual response. Removing or cutting the clitoral hood (which is what I assume the kind of female circumcision the OP was talking about) will NOT increase sensation in the clitoris, and does not bring clitoral nerves closer to the surface of the clitoris like she seems to be claiming.

On the contrary, female circumcision has been associated with sexual dysfunction. If you want your daughter to have a healthy sex life, the best thing you can do is leave her genitals alone.
Not quite true. The US medical profession was actually rather sympathetic to the notion of female circumcision to address "frigidity" and other issues from the late 19th century right up through much of the 20th. From Kellogg advocating the application of phenol to girls' genitals to make them address their sexuality "properly" to Blue Cross paying for adult female circumcision up until 1977, the US has taken a wildly experimental attitude with genital modifications of both adults and children, constantly seeking "cures" for perceived and nonexistent problems. For many doctors and patients it was accepted wisdom that female problems could be addressed through targeted cutting, burning and infibulation. In fact, it's only recently that the notion has taken wide hold in the West that FGC is abhorrent and unconscionable.

We've made great inroads with regard to females (even if the discussion has swung into hyperbole among a few, who claim to read the minds of those who perpetrate FGM and sound like they have clairvoyant insight into the tools always used). Now a better consciousness needs to pervade modern attitudes toward MGC, a course in which the Mothering members, as usual, have taken the lead.

#33 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

Yeah, but obviously, a hood piercing isn't necessary, so I wouldn't recommend any such thing. Most people's clitoral nerve endings protrude enough by themselves to illicit a healthy sexual response. People can decide for themselves if they want to get body art.
...the "deciding for themselves" part is sort of the point, eh?
wink1.gif

#34 ·
I have removed numerous posts accusing the OP of being a troll. Please do not continue to accuse people of being trolls. If you are concerned that someone is a troll, report it, and don't respond. I've also removed some off topic conversations, which although amusing and informative have nothing to do with the subject at hand. :lol

TyrantoftheWeek and Imakcerka-

Your posts have been removed. They are personal attacks and do nothing to forward the discussion.

#35 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeterna View Post

Or recommend she get a hood piercing later, since that can often cause the nerve bundle in the clitoris (which the piercing passes under) to protrude further, thus allowing for greater access/stimulation.

Also, boys like playing with shiny things.
winky.gif
(for what it is worth i was a professional piercer and a member of the Association of Professional Piercers for over a decade, so i know quite a lot about this particular thing)

a hood piercing does not pass under the clitoral shaft, it is just in the loose skin that covers the area. There are more involved and difficult to do and heal and have piercings that do, but that is not here nor there.

Just like in male circ, anything that exposes the nerve bundle to regular stimulation(removing skin or placing something near it to rub against it), will in time, callus and desensitize those nerves to some degree.

the mass majority of folks that get genital piercings find that any additional sensitivity they get at first goes away soon after. the remaining benefit is in their head and that is a great thing, one should always love and adore their genitals.

and yes lot of folks like playing with shiny things, there in lays the benefit and the feeling pretty aspect is priceless.

i include this in this thread because for one i like to dispell piercing myths, but more so because i found in my professional career as a piercer that i was lucky enough to meet, share and help hundreds of women gain sexual pleasure in their lives by simply learning to love their bodies and make educated choices about them. this was their right and pleasure to make these empowering choices as free thinking adults.

No choices, that affect ones sexuality, should be made for one person by another.

Not by parents, a pressuring lover or the society at large,

ever.

#36 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

(for what it is worth i was a professional piercer and a member of the Association of Professional Piercers for over a decade, so i know quite a lot about this particular thing)

a hood piercing does not pass under the clitoral shaft, it is just in the loose skin that covers the area. There are more involved and difficult to do and heal and have piercings that do, but that is not here nor there.

Just like in male circ, anything that exposes the nerve bundle to regular stimulation(removing skin or placing something near it to rub against it), will in time, callus and desensitize those nerves to some degree.

the mass majority of folks that get genital piercings find that any additional sensitivity they get at first goes away soon after. the remaining benefit is in their head and that is a great thing, one should always love and adore their genitals.

and yes lot of folks like playing with shiny things, there in lays the benefit and the feeling pretty aspect is priceless.

i include this in this thread because for one i like to dispell piercing myths, but more so because i found in my professional career as a piercer that i was lucky enough to meet, share and help hundreds of women gain sexual pleasure in their lives by simply learning to love their bodies and make educated choices about them. this was their right and pleasure to make these empowering choices as free thinking adults.

No choices, that affect ones sexuality, should be made for one person by another.

ever.
So very true! I loved hearing your point of view on this!

#37 ·
@Adorkable - Thanks for clearing that up! It was something I'd carried around in my head for forever, long before I had the presence of mind to research the majority of "facts" I filed away. Am always glad for real info. And I do completely agree with you about the benefit being primarily in one's perception - I have thoroughly enjoyed both the use and knowledge of mine for a decade now, even if I was never one of those lucky ones reporting spontaneous physical stimulation. Still worth it.
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

ever.
Very well said. Thank you!
clap.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.