cleaning intact 2 1/2 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

ok, so i know once you are retractable, you clean under the foreskin.  but how do you know if you are retractable if you dont want to forcebly retract?  When do most boys retract?  Is 2 1/2 too young to worry about this yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Yes. Two and a half is too young to worry about this. DS1 is 18, and stopped hanging around the house naked at age eight. He wasn't retracting at that time, and I have no idea when (or even if) he started to do so. DS2 was four (and very proud of his new "trick", which he came to show everyone). When your son is ready to retract, he'll do it (all the time, in many cases!). You just need to let him know to retract, rinse and replace in the shower (I don't even think that's 100% necessary, except to avoid odour buildup).

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#3 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

i had a pedi tell me (after i yelled at him for retracting just the tip of DS to "see & make sure everything was ok")

the pedi told me that if you dont clean you get infections.  Now i know he was misinformed, but i dont know HOW misinformed...  Can you get infections if you dont clean?  (after you are retracting, of course...  this dude wanted me to forcibly retract & clean)  WHen I told him I thought intact penises were "self cleaning"  he rolled his eyes and told me he had seen more "uncircumcised" penises than me and knew what he was talking about.blahblah.gif

We never saw him again. angry.gif

#4 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

also, how do you get an infection?  how do you prevent them?

i have heard about younger men "needing" circs because of XYZ...  i think they are misinformed? 

#5 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Yes. Two and a half is too young to worry about this. DS1 is 18, and stopped hanging around the house naked at age eight. He wasn't retracting at that time, and I have no idea when (or even if) he started to do so. DS2 was four (and very proud of his new "trick", which he came to show everyone). When your son is ready to retract, he'll do it (all the time, in many cases!). You just need to let him know to retract, rinse and replace in the shower (I don't even think that's 100% necessary, except to avoid odour buildup).

Thanks for the tip. I can't wait for my three-year-old to discover this trick. eyesroll.gif
Good thing it never even occurred to me that my sons' intact penises would need any special care beyond being thrown in the tub along with the rest of them!

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#6 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM

The only thing you need to do is tell your ds when he is old enough to understand and can retract is to retract, rinse, replace. But he dosnt need to do it until he is older.

No not retracting to clean will not cause infection, odor possibly and smegma build up but it will not cause infection.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriebeth View Post

also, how do you get an infection?  how do you prevent them?

i have heard about younger men "needing" circs because of XYZ...  i think they are misinformed? 

I think they're usually misinformed. I also think the medical community's insistence on tearing back foreskin creates a lot of issues with adhesions, and probably infections, that end up "requiring" circ to address. (I don't even think circ is necessary in these cases, but the issues that exist are iatrogenic in the first place.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

Thanks for the tip. I can't wait for my three-year-old to discover this trick. eyesroll.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif

You may get lucky. DS1 had  passed the "run around naked everywhere" stage before he started to retract, so he never felt the need to share this one.

#9 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Ds was around 4 when he could retract enough to see the glans. He came to me and showed me and said it was poop lol.gif: I had to explain to him that no it wasnt poop it was part of his penis.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 12 Old 12-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

ROTFLMAO.gif
You may get lucky. DS1 had  passed the "run around naked everywhere" stage before he started to retract, so he never felt the need to share this one.

Let's hope so. Whenever we have company DS1 gets so excited he strips off his clothes and runs around screaming, which I find sufficiently embarrassing without adding public retracting.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#11 of 12 Old 12-05-2011, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Ds was around 4 when he could retract enough to see the glans. He came to me and showed me and said it was poop lol.gif: I had to explain to him that no it wasnt poop it was part of his penis.

ROFL!! Can't wait to explain this one to my son, someday. ROTFLMAO.gif

Just a homegrown heretic hopelessly in love with her amazing DH, 2.5 year old Eli, and now expecting a new arrival April 2015.
#12 of 12 Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I told him I thought intact penises were "self cleaning"  he rolled his eyes and told me he had seen more "uncircumcised" penises than me and knew what he was talking about.blahblah.gif

Rolling the eyes can be a form of non-verbal abuse (signal of contempt).

According to his logic, the ritual third world circumciser who has circed tens of thousands, knows much more than what he does.

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page