New cousin from Ethiopia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It has been about 10 years since I've been here but here I am in the only place i can expect understanding and support. Cousin went through extraordinary measures to adopt sweet boy from Ethiopia. Finally arrived in Oct. Learned of "surgery" yesterday via Facebook. Of course, you guessed it, had him circ'd at 15 mo of age after his traumatic journey! What are these very loving people thinking?! Insane! And I am the only "crazy" one in the family. Ugh... Just need a few sane words from sane people...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 AM

I am sorry.  It's frustrating when otherwise rational people don't see past our cultural conditioning to realize that cutting a healthy part off someone ELSE's body is a human rights violation.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#3 of 4 Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM

I'm sorry.  I knew someone who adopted from mexico and then went and got the kid circ'ed.  It makes no sense.  But it makes no sense to do it to a newborn you birth either.  I know people who do it don't see it this way but I really feel you are just having/getting this perfect little child and then saying "oops, you just aren't good enough yet!"  I only feel more strongly about it since having my DD, who is severely disabled and far from everyone else's ideal of "perfect".  I can only imagine how people who circ deal with it when they are blessed with a child with REAL "imperfections".  Do they have an even harder time coming to terms with it, especially if it's something they can't "fix"?  Or do they realize how petty they were about heir son's penis? 

#4 of 4 Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow, that really sucks!

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page