Weird rash--Need advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 month old has a strange diaper rash. He has these little dots that almost look like pimples all over his scrotum and underneath his penis. The tip of his foreskin is red. He also has a couple of these bumps on his inner thighs. They are not crusty or pus-filled, just red. What could this be? It's been going on for a few days. I've been using diaper cream, and it hasn't helped. I haven't changed diapers, wipes, detergent, or anything like that. I did introduce a new food, but it started before I did that. It doesn't seem to hurt him.

Anyone have experience with something like this? I'd rather not take him to the doctor if I don't have to. It's expensive, plus I'm afraid that if I am taking him for something related to his penis, he will be retracted. (The doctor has not done this before, but I still worry.) If I have to take him, I will. I just wanted to ask here first.

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#2 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Could it be from sweat?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 8 Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Maybe insect bites? possibly ants? If you really don't want to take him to the doctors and it is not hurting him or infected, give it a few days to see if it goes away.

#4 of 8 Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 AM

No one has herpes or anything right?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 8 Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Yeast. My dd got it the same way and I actually took her to the Dr. thinking she had Chicken Pox lol.gif:

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 8 Old 12-23-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hasn't gone away yet, but hasn't gotten worse, either. No, it's not insect bites. No, it's not herpes. Maybe dumb question, but do I have to get a prescription to take care of it if it is yeast? That seems the likely thing now, especially since it won't go away. 

Mama to learning.gifJulian Matthew, born 5/10/2011 nocirc.gif  

Hopeful vbac.gif for the next!

#7 of 8 Old 12-23-2011, 02:34 PM

They have over the counter creams. IDK for sure.

#8 of 8 Old 12-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1140 View Post

Hasn't gone away yet, but hasn't gotten worse, either. No, it's not insect bites. No, it's not herpes. Maybe dumb question, but do I have to get a prescription to take care of it if it is yeast? That seems the likely thing now, especially since it won't go away. 

if it is yeast, then no you do not need a prescription.  my youngest had a yeast rash on the folds inside his legs at his groin & under his arms shortly after he was born.  i diluted apple cider vinegar w/ water (probably 1 to 4) & used this two+ times a day on the area, wiping w/ a wash cloth (only wiping one area w/ one part of the wash cloth) and it went away after a while.  you might try this.

and, i'd encourage you to start your child on a high quality, non dairy & non soy probiotic for infants (the strains that are in adult probiotics are different; the gut flora do not change to adult flora until between 5-7 years old, the normal age of weaning for humans).  if he is experiencing a yeast rash, then the flora on/in his body needs some help.  IME, the sooner you can help his body w/ this, the less likely he'll be to experience negative side effects as he grows up.

best wishes,

sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page