I guess this should tell me something.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

...I decided to watch a circ video just to confirm to myself my decision to not circ is set.  And I could not even bring myself to look at the video. I couldn't even click on it.  I still haven't watched it.  I guess that pretty much cements it for me.  Self-realization is a great thing. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM

I was going to put a thumbs up smiley, then realized that was inappropriate and rude the the poor little guy in the video. I am glad that you are planning to keep your child whole. clap.gif

#3 of 8 Old 01-02-2012, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Working as a nurse, I've seen circumcision firsthand, including major complications from the circ. It's horrible in my opinion. Intact is definitely the way to go. The care is easy too, just wipe what you see on the outside!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm proud of you.

It is amazing what some folks do to children just because they are "too little to remember".
Night_Nurse likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

It is true.  My kids have some health issues and my 19 month old has been under general anesthesia 5x in her life, my 4 yr old under general anesthesia 3x in the last year (including a broken arm involving metal rods that then were pulled out with pliers while awake), and a 12 yr old with a decently major surgery last Christmas.  Let me tell you, I swear that knowing there are things that have to be done to kids we cannot prevent, why on earth would I chose to cause pain when I don't have to?  Life seems to offer enough of that.  Every procedure and surgery ,y kids have had, I have been able to watch graphic video clips of then being done after, and felt good they were the right things. 

So my gut is pretty strong when it comes to those things.  When I literally could not make myself push play, I had an AHA moment. The thought of watching it makes me ill.

Makes me feel really good about our decision. :)

#6 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeChRi View Post

Let me tell you, I swear that knowing there are things that have to be done to kids we cannot prevent, why on earth would I chose to cause pain when I don't have to?  Life seems to offer enough of that.  

I once heard my brother say to my neice, who was probably 5 at the time, "Life's full of disappointments, kid.  Get used to it."  I think some parents see it as their duty to show kids just how tough life is, including disappointment & pain.  So, I wonder if circ goes under that too, oh so sadly.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#7 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DeChRi, I have been participating in circumcision debate boards for at least 15 years, read everything I can get my hands on, and I have never watched a circumcision video. I doubt I ever will.

I heard one IRL, and that was more than enough for me, TYVM. DH and I were visiting my boss and his wife in the hospital with their new baby. Mom was holding him, and he was awake, alert, and making the most pleasant gurgling noises. Then the ped came to take him away for his circumcision. DH and I stayed with the parents a little while longer, then left. On our way out, we passed the nursery - and could hear a baby screaming like nothing we'd ever heard before (our twins were 3 at the time; we'd heard plenty of screaming). We peeked through the blinds, and saw the ped leaning over a baby - my boss's baby. DH and I left the hospital with tears running down our faces, grateful that we never subjected our own babies to that.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#8 of 8 Old 01-04-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

The "if I can't see it, it won't hurt me" mentality is done a lot in parenting.  All I had to do was describe (and not even in detail) the simple was a circ is done, to DH, and he couldn't even LISTEN to me anymore.  He cut me off and said "stop, my penis hurts" lol.  He, as a man, could not imagine doing that to another male.  And he is a pretty mainstream, conservative, go with the norm, trust the Dr kind of guy.  He was like...what if they slip???

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page