Did Doc cause any damage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I took 4mo DS to the doc this morning because his penis has been red and swollen for the last couple of days.  I really didn't want to because I was afraid the doc would do something stupid, but I was also worried in case there was an infection.

The dr. tried to pull his foreskin back. DS started fussing and squirming.  The dr. finally got it back far enough that the tip of his penis was protruding out.  The doc said his foreskin opening was really tight.  Then he lectured me on how uncircumcised babies had lots more risk for infection and that he might need to be circumcised.  He said he would just continue having problems with it as he got older.

I felt really uncomfortable through the whole appointment.  I wish I had just not taken him in.  At this point I don't even want to give DS the antibiotics prescribed b/c we are constantly fighting thrush and I know this will cause a flare.  I'm so frustrated with all of this.  I have to admit, I'm not at all knowledgeable about circumcision.  I always just thought you were just supposed to leave uncirced babies alone and not mess with it.

Did the doc hurt DS or cause damage when he tried to force his foreskin back?  What can I do?  I really don't want to have to get him circumcised!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#2 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 PM

Our 'penis friendly' doc did the same thing at DS's 12 month visit. Generally that level of retraction doesn't cause issues but it's not at all okay for a Dr (or anyone) to do. The comment about a 'really tight' foreskin is silly...or course it's really tight! He's a little baby! 

If it were me, I'd wait on the medications and go with lots of naked time, no soap in baths, and just wait it out. I'll bet that it was just some sensitivity and will clear up without issue. Little girls get all sorts of redness and stuff, no one says they need surgery. 

Perhaps finding a new ped is in order? 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#3 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post At this point I don't even want to give DS the antibiotics prescribed b/c we are constantly fighting thrush and I know this will cause a flare.  I'm so frustrated with all of this.  I have to admit, I'm not at all knowledgeable about circumcision.  I always just thought you were just supposed to leave uncirced babies alone and not mess with it.

Did the doc hurt DS or cause damage when he tried to force his foreskin back?  What can I do?  I really don't want to have to get him circumcised!

If you know you/he already has yeast issues, it's possible that the redness is caused by yeast.  My youngest had yeast in the creases of his legs & under his arms when he was a newborn.  I used diluted apple cider vinegar (w/ water) two or more times a day & it went away.  Not sure if this can be used on the foreskin, but perhaps warm baths w/ some ACV.

You are correct that abx can cause further problems w/ thrush/yeast.  Did the dr. take a swab to determine if it actually is a bacterial problem?

I'm sorry this happened to the two of you.  You may want to contact Marilyn Milos at Nocirc.org to get the name of a truly intact friendly doc in your area.  Unfortunately, all most american drs. know about the foreskin is cutting it off.  Some thing to think about to help yourself feel better & know that it's not you is that they would never suggest circ for a girl w/ any issue w/ her genitalia.  Only boys in the country.  Kind of like everything can be blamed on breastfeeding that goes wrong w/ a baby; everything wrong w/ an intact penis can blamed on the normal anatomy.  

Your ds is likely fine, but may have some irritation (I know this from reading here, not from personal experience).  I'd suggest you find a truly intact friendly dr. to deal w/ in the future.  I know it may not be that easy (for insurance, distance, cost and/or reasons) or tell the dr. if he wants to examine your ds' penis, you can move it but he is not to touch him again.  Some mothers here have had to take that stance w/ their drs. because of similar experiences to yours.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post.  I always just thought you were just supposed to leave uncirced babies alone and not mess with it.

Yes, you just leave it alone. Don't try to retract it. Yes, it's possible the doctor hurt him or caused some little tears in the skin (or maybe not at all). The best thing to do is leave it alone so the body can heal itself if needed. If you are still breastfeeding you can put some breastmilk on his penis to help it heal and relief irritation. If not, you can let him soak in some warm water for a bit and then let him have some time w/o the diaper.

As far as the initial irritation, it might be some redness from diapers. I've read some moms who cloth diaper will need to strip the diapers and that helps. If you use disposables, he might have a reaction to one brand, maybe try another brand. I don't know what the problem is but I don't think your son needs a circumcision. Especially at his age, the foreskin needs to be tight to keep poop from getting up there. Your son sounds fine to me. You may want to consider another doctor for future use. The one you have now seems uneducated about the normal male anatomy.

Good luck to your son. I hope he's feeling better soon!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-04-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_gooseberry View Post

The dr. tried to pull his foreskin back. DS started fussing and squirming.  The dr. finally got it back far enough that the tip of his penis was protruding out.  The doc said his foreskin opening was really tight.  Then he lectured me on how uncircumcised babies had lots more risk for infection and that he might need to be circumcised.  He said he would just continue having problems with it as he got older.

Unfortunately, your doctor is clueless about foreskin care and medicine.  Hopefully he is much better for other issues.  If you stick with him, recognize that anything he says about foreskins is probably wrong, so do your homework.  And do not let him retract again.

A foreskin in a 4 month old typically is very tight.  This is normal.  As long as urine passes through reasonably, he is fine.  Our sons developed redness at the tip many times, nothing was done and they are fine.  If medicine is needed, that is fine, but retraction is not needed, nor can it be done safely.  Instead a swab would be taken to find out what the infection is.  Foreskins do not become retractable at the same time for all boys, some never becoming retractable and causeing no problems.  But typically by puberty they are retractable.

For your doctor to lecture you on how intact boys have lots of infections, will continue to have problems, and will likely need to be circumcsied later in life is wrong and clearly a sign of fearmongering, rather than medical advice.  Your doctor apparently has trouble mentally dealing with foreskins.

Your son was probably not harmed by the retraction, as others said.  But there is no way to know.  That is why your son should be the only one to retract his foreskin.  Why risk injury when there is no need?

This is useful reading:

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/info/info-forcedretraction.html

Regards

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page