Looking for a good book for my son about growing up - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for a book for my son that talks about growing up. Changes in his body and how to take care of his body. My son is intact so I would like a book that addresses that fact and has correct details on the intact penis. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks!

Beverly

#2 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I don't have any suggestions but am subbing to see if anyone has a suggestion.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 AM

We couldn't find any books with good information for intact males.  So we got two and I annotated them.  We felt that there are plenty of issues beyond the foreskin, that made these worthwhile anyway.  The two we got are:

What is Going on Down There?  by Karen Gravelle

The What is Happening to my Body?  Book for Boys   by Lynda Madaras

Both required a careful read, and I added a number of annotations to correct mistakes and misleading information.  But in the end we felt they had enough value to use.  Both boys read them, but gave us little feedback.

Regards

#4 of 6 Old 02-23-2012, 07:25 PM

I am Unitarian Universalist, and we have an excellent non-religious sex education section of Sunday School classes for our students. I will link to the book we used in my 4-5th grade class, Our Whole Lives, Grades 4-6 (there are different books for different age groups) but it shows normal sexual development of boys and girls and alternates between intact and circumcised penises in it's nonthreatening but detailed illustration style. There is a parent guide to go with it. I know it goes into a lot of detail, and I flipped through it so I'm positive it alternates between circ'd/intact throughout (i.e. not just one page comparing the two and a book filled only with circ;d examples) and covers a lot of information. Perhaps the book is more than you are looking for, but I was impressed with it's sensitivity and detail.

http://www.uuabookstore.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=719

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#5 of 6 Old 04-30-2012, 01:45 PM

I always recommend Linda Madaras' book "The What's Happening to My Body? Book for Boys (3rd Ed.)."  The third ed. deals in detail with the intact penis, progressive retraction, hygiene, etc. without making circed boys feel bad.

#6 of 6 Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2GA View Post

I always recommend Linda Madaras' book "The What's Happening to My Body? Book for Boys (3rd Ed.)."  The third ed. deals in detail with the intact penis, progressive retraction, hygiene, etc. without making circed boys feel bad.

I just bought this book for my son and it is magnificent. I thought it had completely accurate info on the foreskin. I am wondering if Greg B had an earlier edition. Chapter 3, which was new for the third edition, has about 8 pages on circumcision and the anatomy and development of the foreskin.

I also like the rest of the book. I can tell the auther has similar beliefs to me. Although she does seem to be trying to be objective on the surface, it's quite clear she has a progressive outlook on matters of sexuality. I like that.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page