Random thoughts from a formerly "on the fence" mom ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my son is now almost 2 and there are just some things that pop into my mind that might be helpful to other moms who are "on the fence," as I was before he was born.

I wasn't sure - I did my research here and elsewhere and quickly came to a VERY anti-circ position for many reasons.

But back then, I remember thinking - won't he look weird? I can tell you after just 21 months, he is the one that looks totally normal to me. The moment I looked at him, I could not imagine anything else. I hang with other moms and when I change their boys' diapers, I can tell you that the ones with circ'ed penises are the ones that look odd. It truly is all about what you are used to. And since the numbers of uncirc'ed boys is on the rise, chances are that his future partner will not think him odd at all.

The circ-ed boys - the other thing I notice is how different they all are - some have a little bit of foreskin left, others have nothing - many moms have told me how they have to pull back the foreskin remaining to clean - something I never have to do. This leads me to believe that there is quite a bit of trial and error, so to speak, which is certainly not something I'm comfortable with when we're talking about my son's private parts.

The thing that stands out most in my mind is that the foreskin is HUGE. You can't really understand this unless you really look at it - and if you're having a boy, ask your friends if they circ-ed or not. I guarantee you any mom who did not circ will have no problem with you checking it out to see. (Well, on a baby anyway ...) The foreskin is seriously GIANT. It is SO not a little flap of skin. I can totally see where his penis is under the foreskin and the idea of removing all that skin on top just seems so ... insane.

... anyway - just some thoughts I wanted to jot down ... this board was very helpful to me when I was thinking about it.

Oh and my standard line for people who question my decision to keep my son intact is this: "Well, when he's 18 if he decides he really wants to have a smaller penis then I'll pay for his circumcision."

mischievous.gif

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

#2 of 2 Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ha, ha...I love your last line.

I always hope that moms-to-be who are on the fence will come here and read through the threads, links, the Regret thread and take it upon themselves to really do some more serious research into the purpose and anatomy of the foreskin and then decide that the choice is ultimately their sons'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozeyermamma View Post

So my son is now almost 2 and there are just some things that pop into my mind that might be helpful to other moms who are "on the fence," as I was before he was born.

I wasn't sure - I did my research here and elsewhere and quickly came to a VERY anti-circ position for many reasons.

But back then, I remember thinking - won't he look weird? I can tell you after just 21 months, he is the one that looks totally normal to me. The moment I looked at him, I could not imagine anything else. I hang with other moms and when I change their boys' diapers, I can tell you that the ones with circ'ed penises are the ones that look odd. It truly is all about what you are used to. And since the numbers of uncirc'ed boys is on the rise, chances are that his future partner will not think him odd at all.

The circ-ed boys - the other thing I notice is how different they all are - some have a little bit of foreskin left, others have nothing - many moms have told me how they have to pull back the foreskin remaining to clean - something I never have to do. This leads me to believe that there is quite a bit of trial and error, so to speak, which is certainly not something I'm comfortable with when we're talking about my son's private parts.

The thing that stands out most in my mind is that the foreskin is HUGE. You can't really understand this unless you really look at it - and if you're having a boy, ask your friends if they circ-ed or not. I guarantee you any mom who did not circ will have no problem with you checking it out to see. (Well, on a baby anyway ...) The foreskin is seriously GIANT. It is SO not a little flap of skin. I can totally see where his penis is under the foreskin and the idea of removing all that skin on top just seems so ... insane.

... anyway - just some thoughts I wanted to jot down ... this board was very helpful to me when I was thinking about it.

Oh and my standard line for people who question my decision to keep my son intact is this: "Well, when he's 18 if he decides he really wants to have a smaller penis then I'll pay for his circumcision."

mischievous.gif

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page