When intact dont pull back right? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-05-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everything i have read tells me that you should not pull back a babys foreskin and that you should clean the outside end of discussion. So it is greatly pissing me off when i go to the doctor that the doctor is telling me every time i change him i should be gently pulling back and that she did it in front of me! She told me that if i do not do this that the end will close up and result in having to have him circumcised.

Is this true? If not where is sound medical evidence and literature that i can present to this office that proves it shouldnt be done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#2 of 19 Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
She's wrong. Can you get another doc?

#3 of 19 Old 04-05-2012, 06:31 PM

Send her one of these

http://www.thewholenetwork.org/dont-retract-packs.html

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

#4 of 19 Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Getting a different dr in this town wouldnt really help they are allllll the same here.

That pack seems like a relatively good idea but is the pack full of proven medical evidence from drs and going to be accepted as fact from the medical community or is it written by a community of people like us? I need something that a dr cannot argue with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#5 of 19 Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Giving them information is great and I would do that for sure but I would no longer allow them to do genital checks during exams if they insisted on going against your wishes and trying to retract him. . I had the same issues with the Dr's here and decided it was just easier and safer to have a total hands off policy after having to stop 2 Dr's from retracting him.

I am pretty sure that that packet is made up by Dr's

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 19 Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 AM

Print off the "Wee Willy" handout used in some hospitals and give it to the doc.

#7 of 19 Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

The top will close up? AHAHAHAHA that's pretty hilarious. You should laugh at your doctor if she says this again. How does she think humans peed 20,000 years ago?

#8 of 19 Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM

I have friends with sons and most of their doctors tell them not to retract the foreskin before the age of 3, but a few still say that every now and then you should pull it back and clean the area gently.

Having said that, the top (not the urethra, but the skin of course) can close up and block the flow of urine and you then need surgery. I knew a guy who had this exact problem and had to have surgery as a kid to open up the foreskin again.

I'm not saying that as a case for circumcision, it is known to happen sometimes and the surgery to treat it is considered very minor and not necessary for everyone in countries where babies are not routinely circumcised.

#9 of 19 Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkajoujou View Post

I have friends with sons and most of their doctors tell them not to retract the foreskin before the age of 3, but a few still say that every now and then you should pull it back and clean the area gently.

Having said that, the top (not the urethra, but the skin of course) can close up and block the flow of urine and you then need surgery. I knew a guy who had this exact problem and had to have surgery as a kid to open up the foreskin again.

I'm not saying that as a case for circumcision, it is known to happen sometimes and the surgery to treat it is considered very minor and not necessary for everyone in countries where babies are not routinely circumcised.

Greetings kinkajoujou!  Welcome to MDC & TCAC!!!

I bolded the sentence in your post because the thought occured to me that saying this, is kind of like when someone is trying to nurse & having a hard time, people chime in w/ all the women they knew that tried to nurse but couldn't for this reason or that, kwim?  I think you & those people are trying to help, but there are other ways to actually help the person w/o talking about others negative experiences.  ;-)

From reading here at TCAC it seems to me that there are two reasons why the foreskin tip closes or, more likely, the foreskin seems to reattach & the hole gets small again, is: 1.  trauma or 2. inbalance of bodily flora.  I imagine there may be more reasons, but it's what I've read about here.

Hope you keep posting here!

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#10 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 AM

Thank you for your pointers, I did not post this as a negative experience, but as a reply to other posters saying this is something impossible. All I meant to say (in conjuction with my next paragraph) is that this is something that can indeed happen, although it is rare, easily treatable and should not be put forth as an argument to promote circumcision. I'm sorry if that didn't come out as I intended it to.

P.S. I'm not an intactivist per se, but I would not circumcise either.

#11 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Take a look at these and see if they fit the bill to educate your doctor with:

www.cirp.org/library/normal/

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/pdf/GenitalIntegrityStatement.pdf

http://drmomma.blogspot.com/2009/09

#12 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:

The only disease/condition that I have ever heard of that makes the tip of the foreskin close (but rarely interfere with peeing) is Balanitis Xerotica Obliterans. Some have had success with Carbon Dioxide Laser treatments, but often the chosen remedy is, sadly, circumcision.  Thankfully it is very rare.  I would be interested to know what happened to your friend, and what kind of surgery he had. Obviously his doctor was more conscious of the value of a foreskin than many!

#13 of 19 Old 04-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunangovi View Post

The only disease/condition that I have ever heard of that makes the tip of the foreskin close (but rarely interfere with peeing) is Balanitis Xerotica Obliterans. Some have had success with Carbon Dioxide Laser treatments, but often the chosen remedy is, sadly, circumcision.  Thankfully it is very rare.  I would be interested to know what happened to your friend, and what kind of surgery he had. Obviously his doctor was more conscious of the value of a foreskin than many!

I come from a background where circumcision is not performed, unless requested by the parents. So most males, especially up to the age of 3 will have some very very minor issues, like the foreskin not retracting properly etc. Like I said in my first post, most doctors (with a few exceptions) advise parents to avoid pulling it back or in any way interfering with it before the age of 3, when they can decide if they need to intervene or not (with surgery or to start gently pulling it back etc.). I'm not sure what my friend's exact condition was, he only told me that his penis had become blocked and they had to open up the foreskin again. And it was funny because when he pulled the skin all the way up and covered the penis, you could see it formed a very straight line at the end, you could tell it had been snipped a little.

#14 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:

I come from a background where circumcision is not performed, unless requested by the parents. So most males, especially up to the age of 3 will have some very very minor issues, like the foreskin not retracting properly etc. 

Really? I come from a background where circumcision is not performed, either, but I wouldn't say that "most" males have experienced minor issues by the age of 3. Most of my friends' sons don't seem to have any issues at all, and neither has my son. I also wouldn't call the foreskin not retracting before 3 an "issue". It's not even a minor one. It's just not supposed to do that at that age.

#15 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks Michelle, my intact son NEVER has had a single issue. He's 16 now and has no complaints.
#16 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Well most of my friends with sons my daughter's age (almost 2) have dealt with a slight pain or discomfort due to the fact that the skin doesn't retract properly at this age. But you know, these are considered part of what's normal, they're not viewed as something that proves that circumcision is necessary. Most kids just outgrow this stage. Incidentally, the only friend of mine who had a real problem was the one whose doctor pulled the skin back and the poor baby was bleeding and in pain 5 days after that.

#17 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Well most of my friends with sons my daughter's age (almost 2) have dealt with a slight pain or discomfort due to the fact that the skin doesn't retract properly at this age. But you know, these are considered part of what's normal, they're not viewed as something that proves that circumcision is necessary. Most kids just outgrow this stage. Incidentally, the only friend of mine who had a real problem was the one whose doctor pulled the skin back and the poor baby was bleeding and in pain 5 days after that.

I wonder if this is just semantics or a language thing?  As in, I wonder if the "slight pain or discomfort," was due to separation but it's seen as being related to not retracting?  Lots of posts end up here about that.  I don't think that means that everyone gets it though.  I have two sons, 6.5 y.o. & 2.5 y.o., and both are retractable & neither had separation issues.

Sus

#18 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Well I'm probably not getting something right across here. I never said "everyone", I said "most", which in MY experience has been most friends, my brother, an ex-boyfriend etc. Some kids never have them, some do. Both cases are considered normal at that age. The skin doesn't retract, they have their normal erections, that gives them discomfort. Or they touch it and tug it and that also might give them a little pain. That's all I'm saying. I don't mean "issues" as anything that would necessitate a medical intervention or, worse, circumcision. That's what most doctors advise (to return to the original question), don't retract and just let it be.

Am I saying something wrong or offensive? Because that is not my intention at all.

#19 of 19 Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Am I saying something wrong or offensive? Because that is not my intention at all.

No, not at all and I'm sorry if you thought I was saying you are. shy.gif Your experience, from what you've written, seems to be different than many of us w/ intact ds's.  But, that doesn't mean I doubt your experience at all!  I asked out of curiousity - is it that we're talking about the same thing just using different words?   

If I'm still not communicating this well, please feel free to pm me.  

Best wishes,

Sus

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page