Here we go again - Ribbon Wars - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Didn't this happen a few years ago? A group has been set up on facebook saying they want NOHARMM to stop using the pink and blue genital integrity ribbon because it's causing confusion for infant loss parents. There is debate about it on a few pages.

I lost a baby and seeing this debate pisses me off. Nothing like a silly little internet feud over ribbons to hurt our respective causes.

Here is a link to the group asking NOHARMM to stop using the ribbon. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Noharmm-The-Pink-and-Blue-Ribbon-is-for-LossPreemie-Parents/320028561401449

Ironically enough, it seems they swiped their logo and photoshopped it from a site that makes ribbon and awareness jewelry - http://shop.personalizedcause.com/personalized-awareness-pins/pink-and-blue-awareness-pin-personalized

Several people have brought up the fact that over a hundred babies die from circumcision.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have lost a baby and I don't believe circumcision should be a parent's choice. I don't care much about ribbons or the little angels things that folks use to denote lost babies... so I don't have any skin in the game.
#3 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I personally think ribbons are pointless, but I got several emails from friends about this and decided to takea look. The whole thing is assinine.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#4 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM

I'm not really big into ribbons. I have lost a baby. My take on the pink and blue ribbon is that it denotes an issue - any issue - that specifically concerns infants, regardless of their gender. That would include pregnancy and infant loss, obviously. It would, equally obviously (at least imo) include the practice of amputating healthy, functioning body parts from newborns. I think the pink and blue ribbon is completely appropriate for the cause of genital integrity. Circ is circ, whether the parts being damaged/destroyed/removed are "pink" or "blue". I think this ribbon underscores that boys deserve the same protections that girls deserve.

MrsMike likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#5 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Tese people have their heads in the wrong place.

#6 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 PM

I have experienced a pregnancy loss. And I have always been ok with the pink/blue ribbon. I think it more lines up with genital integrity than pregnancy loss. That's my opinion. I think it points towards a gender bias issue: girls being protected, boys not. I never got the correlation with pregnancy loss, to me it doesn't fit.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#7 of 9 Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post

Here is a link to the group asking NOHARMM to stop using the ribbon. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Noharmm-The-Pink-and-Blue-Ribbon-is-for-LossPreemie-Parents/320028561401449

I wasn't able to get this link to work, but not sure it matters since I'm not on facebook.

Seems it'd be appropriate to me that the ribbon be used for both.  But I guess if you support RIC, you don't want it being confused w/ loosing a baby.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#8 of 9 Old 04-26-2012, 07:56 PM

There is also a counter page:

https://www.facebook.com/babylossparentsinsupportofnoharmm?ref=ts

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#9 of 9 Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks MyBoys, I will like that page even tho......

ETA: We have more likes.....

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page