New baby boy questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am due to give birth to my first son and am not having him circumcised, but I have no idea how to take care of his penis once he is born.  Is there a good place to educate myself about his care?  Books, online, etc?  I have two girls and really have no idea what to do with an intact boy since all of our friends have circumcised boys and my family has not been supportive of our decision not to cut.  So I guess I just need some guidance on cleaning and self-care as he grows.  Thank you for any advice you can give me and my husband!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 PM

It's pretty much like having an intact girl. You don't have to do anything. Just wipe the penis gently if poop gets on it. NEVER retract or mess with the foreskin in any way. Bathe just like a girl--warm water and gentle soap, but stay on the outside of the genitals. I'm always confused when people talk about how to "care for" an intact penis because seriously, you don't have to do anything!

I imagine it's much easier than having a circed boy for those first weeks after the circ (no open wounds to clean!)

My biggest worry about having an intact boy is that someone else will forcibly retract his foreskin (which is painful and damaging) because they think you're supposed to do something to it to keep it clean. Not so--just leave it alone!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Cleaning an intact baby boy is easier than cleaning a girl, ime. Well, the scrotum can be a pain - poop gets into the wrinkles. But, the penis itself is super easy to clean - just wipe it off. No biggie. I'm always boggled when I see all the fuss about how to clean an intact penis. It's a snap.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 06-05-2012, 01:06 PM

yeahthat.gif cleaning the intact penis is easy peezy:
1)wipe what you can see on the outside during diaper changes, in the bath a gentle swish is all that is needed.
2)never push the foreskin back and never allow anyone else todo so (watch Dr's closely)

The foreskin is attached to the head of the penis like the fingernail to the nailbed over time it will release allowing for retraction. The age of retraction is anywhere from birth to adulthood all are normal. As he ages and gets old enough to understand you can talk to him about retract, rinse, replace but there is no hurry and he is the only one that should do it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old 06-05-2012, 04:17 PM

Probably a good idea to remind baby sitters, family members who are caring for your boy and doctors/nurses. DON'T RETRACT or try to retract the foreskin.

They may not be on the same page as you are.

Tags
Circumcision
User Tag List