Does anyone regret NOT circumcising? *this is NOT a pro circ thread, just curious about the medical complications* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 04:47 PM
 
htovjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank you Mama24-7 for taking the time to explain. I certainly appreciate your passion in this area and your ability to express something so delicate with care and sensitivity! I don't want to go into our personal reasons for circumcising DS because I know this isn't the place for it. But as any parent does, we did what we thought was best for DS. I know because of what you've said that this may baffle you, but people don't always agree and that is the way humankind is.

 

When I originally posted in this forum, I didn't review the rules first and I'm certainly sorry for that. I didn't wish to get anyone upset!


Happily married to DH 

Stay-at-home mama to DS1 (01/12) & DS2 (01/14)

htovjm is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 PM
 
mama24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: with the dust bunnies
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaleka87 View Post

Thank you Mama24-7 for taking the time to explain. I certainly appreciate your passion in this area and your ability to express something so delicate with care and sensitivity! I don't want to go into our personal reasons for circumcising DS because I know this isn't the place for it. But as any parent does, we did what we thought was best for DS. I know because of what you've said that this may baffle you, but people don't always agree and that is the way humankind is.

 

When I originally posted in this forum, I didn't review the rules first and I'm certainly sorry for that. I didn't wish to get anyone upset!

Wow, that's the first compliment I've ever gotten on my intactivism.  

 

I find it interesting that you mention "humankind."  A child has no say, no power, no voice; how are they being treated humanely in being circumcised?  Would it be humane to circumcise you without your consent?  What other peoples bodies can we alter without their permission?  Children deserve the same care & respect that every other individual deserves.  

 

Additionally, you say that people don't always agree & that is the way humankind is.  The reasons given for FGM (female genital mutilation) are pretty much the same reasons given for doing this to boys here.  Do you feel the same way about those who commit FGM?  That "that is the way humankind is?"

 

I have no doubt that you made (as most parents do) the best decision you could have at the time.  However, when you know better, you do better.  You did not answer my question: 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

makaleka87...

 

I have to wonder if you would be suggesting the OP get a "balanced" opinion if she were talking about circ'ing her daughter?

No matter what your reason (and when your son is old enough & finds out what he is missing, he may decide that he wanted that part of his body) is, your son may not agree with you.  If a parent leaves their child whole, they if the child doesn't agree, they can make the change.  When a parent decides to alter their child, then the child has no choice.  No matter what anyone tells you, this is NOT a parenting decision any more than it is a parenting decision to circumcise your daughter or to leave her whole.   It is not your son's fault that he was born male & born into this culture that does not value his WHOLE body.

 

gloomy.gif

 

As I said in my first response to you, I hope that you will research this before you have another child.  Every person has a right to their whole body, regardless of what those around them think/feel/believe.  I do hope you will leave any future children whole.

 

All the best,

Sus


Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
mama24-7 is offline  
Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Rylins mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2 intact boys and I would never change it or make a different decision.


Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

Rylins mama is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 08:00 PM
 
tammylsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wouldn't dream of it. My son is two and seeing boys who are circumcised is weird and sad now... it just looks all wrong. Haven't had the slightest hint of any issue with anything, and he's pretty.. er.. rough with his bits.


Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
tammylsmith is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM
 
FeralFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My intact son is 4 1/2.  No issues, no regrets.  My intact husband is 29.  No regrets from him either, and his functions just fine, thanks, despite having the dreaded "hidden/buried penis" that some doctors will tell you absolutely requires circumcision.  I'm 39 weeks pregnant with our first child together, a little girl who will also remain intact, so clearly his "OMG circ it now" problem isn't actually a problem at all.


Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

FeralFox is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
 
distraughtmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made the choice to circumcise my son. When I met with the doctor who would be performing the surgery, I found out that even if I didn't have it done as an infant, my son would have to have it done later in life. We were informed (by multiple doctors) that my son had phimosis. In his case, the opening of the foreskin would not be large enough for the head to come out. I was told this would result in painful erections and even infections. So, although I made the choice prior to knowing this...I am glad I made the choice I did. I did plenty of research prior to the decision and I stand strong in my choice. I understand that not everyone believes in circumcision, and that is their choice and I respect that.

distraughtmama is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:17 PM
 
mama24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: with the dust bunnies
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraughtmama View Post

I made the choice to circumcise my son. When I met with the doctor who would be performing the surgery, I found out that even if I didn't have it done as an infant, my son would have to have it done later in life. We were informed (by multiple doctors) that my son had phimosis. In his case, the opening of the foreskin would not be large enough for the head to come out. I was told this would result in painful erections and even infections. So, although I made the choice prior to knowing this...I am glad I made the choice I did. I did plenty of research prior to the decision and I stand strong in my choice. I understand that not everyone believes in circumcision, and that is their choice and I respect that.

Welcome to MDC!  Welcome.gif  I do hope you will stick around.

 

I'm sorry to hear, for you & your son that the doctors, all of them, that "informed" you, were not foreskin & normal penis knowledgable.  I'm telling you this so that if you have more children, none of the rest will suffer the same fate.  The human penis is not fully developed at birth.  The foreskin is fused to the head of the penis & the opening acts like a sphynicter (sp?), similar to the anus, to let urine out.  It is supposed to be this way because it is not fully developed.

 

You can learn more about & share with your doctors, this link: http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/video/prepuce.html  Another one: http://icgi.org/Downloads/FD2.pdf  This was a lecture given at Georgetown University: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSM-SkwGEf0&feature=player_embedded

 

I wonder how these doctors knew that your son would need a circumcision later?  I wonder what information they were going on that led them to that conclusion?  I wonder if they were intact or themselves circumcised?  I wonder if they had left any children of theirs intact?

 

We live is a foreskin-phobic society, unfortunately.  I would bet that had you had your son in the UK, he'd still have his foreskin.  If he was born in South America, he'd still have his foreskin.  You would not be able to find a doctor in those parts of the world who said that he "needs" a circumcision, at birth or likely at any other time in his life.

 

Distraughtmama, you're not the first mother to be misinformed by the medical professionals.  There is post after post here: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/112410/if-you-regret-circumcising-your-son-s-please-post-here

 

Clearly you thought you were doing what was best for him, following the advice of the doctors.  I'm so sorry for the two of you.  You aren't the first & until every doctor is either prevented from performing prepuce amputation or is fully educated, you won't be the last.  But you can learn from this & not repeat the mistake with future children.  You wouldn't be the first mama to be in that position either!   After all, when you know better, you do better. thumb.gif.

 

Best wishes to you & your son,

Sus


Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
mama24-7 is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:35 PM
 
distraughtmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The choice to circumcise was made prior to the knowledge of his medical needs. I believe in circumcision, and that it is the right choice for my family. I understand that you feel i was misinformed, but I was not. A few of the doctors I saw regarding his condition were against circumcision, and still said that it would be a procedure he would need in the future. I did plenty of research on the issue and realize it is "taboo" now-a-days. But I know that I made the right choice for me and my family. It is the same choice I would make for any future son I might have. I respect those who choose to not have it done, but it is not what I believe in. I'm sorry you feel that because I made the choice that I was misinformed about the procedure....but I know exactly what it entails and even witnessed it. Everyone has a right to his/her own opinions.

distraughtmama is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 03:36 PM
 
pek64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't understand why he would *need* it in the future.

How did humankind survive and thrive prior to circumcision even being thought of, if it is necessary?

I made a unilateral, impromptu decision to leave my son whole. I thought I could have it done later, after getting more information. I have yet to find anything that has convinced me to change that original decision. By now, that decision belongs to my son. I doubt he'll be changing it, either.

My own father, I discovered, was whole, and he was very healthy until in his eighties. Unfortunately, at that time he started having serious health issues, not one involving circumcision as the solition, though.
pek64 is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM
 
mama24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: with the dust bunnies
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by distraughtmama View Post

The choice to circumcise was made prior to the knowledge of his medical needs. I believe in circumcision, and that it is the right choice for my family. 

 

 

If you ddin't live in a circ'ing CULTure, you wouldn't believe this.  Find me a secular English woman who does.  No one here is going to tell you YOU can't get yourself circ'd.  YOUR son may not agree w/ what YOU thought was "the right choice for my family."  But the choice has now been taken from him.  greensad.gif

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by distraughtmama View Post
I understand that you feel i was misinformed, but I was not. A few of the doctors I saw regarding his condition were against circumcision, and still said that it would be a procedure he would need in the future. 

 

Again, how did they know?  How is it that a child who has not gone through puberty, who is born w/ the foreskin fused as is normal, & has a penis that is not fully developed, how can they gaurantee he'd need it later?  And, even if he did, he would be given proper pain relief, meds for pain afterwards & most of all, he wouldn't have to worry about the open wound sitting in feces & urine & he wouldn't have had to worry that they'd take more skin than he needed to grow into (you know, there is no dotted line that says "cut here") so his penis won't curve when he gets an erection becuase there's not enough skin or that the hair from his scrotum won't pull up onto his penis when he gets an erection becuase they took too much skin, etc., etc., etc.

 

It is cosemtic surgery & it was his choice to make.  He no longer has that choice.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by distraughtmama View Post
 I did plenty of research on the issue and realize it is "taboo" now-a-days. 

 

You can call it taboo, it's a human rights violation.  And, it's no more taboo than female genital cutting is.  You are also in the case AGAINST circumcision.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by distraughtmama View Post
But I know that I made the right choice for me and my family. 

You son may not agree w/ the decision you made but he will not be able to do anything about it once he realizes what was taken from him. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by distraughtmama View Post
 I respect those who choose to not have it done, but it is not what I believe in. I'm sorry you feel that because I made the choice that I was misinformed about the procedure....but I know exactly what it entails and even witnessed it. Everyone has a right to his/her own opinions.

I'm sorry for what was taken from your son w/o his consent. bawling.gif OMGoodness, I can't believe that you could witness that. cold.gif  I have nightmares after accidentally seeing a circ.  yikes2.gif

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by distraughtmama View Post
Everyone has a right to his/her own opinions.
And your son has a right to his whole body & that trumps your right to your opinion.
 
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
mama24-7 is offline  
Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM
 
LiLStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 3,367
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Yes, everyone has the right to their own opinions, but they do not have the right to their own facts. There used to be the belief, and the belief still lingers in some regions to an extent, that the foreskin in intact infants needed to be retracted and cleaned daily. Doing this caused pain, bleeding, infection, and scar tissue development. After that kind of damage, the recurrent infections and the scarring caused dr's to then advise circumcision. The damage is 100% preventable by not messing with the foreskin. leave it completely alone. (Boys can, and they DO, play with it plenty. they won't hurt themselves) The other misconception that causes some dr's to advise a circ is a nonretractible foreskin. There is a wide range of normal for when it retracts on its own. Before it does, the opening may appear to be a "pinhole" or even not visible at all. This is all normal. If it can't retract by the teen years, if the boy chooses, he may do stretching exercises in addition to a steroid cream. In some regions of the US, most drs haven't ever seen a foreskin unless they were preparing to cut it off. They simply do not have enough experience to have any idea what is normal development. 


dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
LiLStar is online now  
Old 08-18-2012, 12:26 PM
 
MichelleZB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

The decision can't be right "for your family". What does your son's foreskin have to do with your family? It's not your family's penis, it's his penis. You're pretending it should be a family decision, but it isn't. It's like saying that cutting off his finger was the right decision "for your family" or marrying him to a woman you chose was right "for your family".

 

Infants can't have phimosis, so there's no way your infant son could have been diagnosed with it. All infant foreskins are fused to the penis, whether they will later develop problems (rare) or not.

 

People have a right to their opinions, but that doesn't mean we can't think your opinion is silly, or misinformed. And I do think that.

 

I should be so harsh. I realize that you have to defend circumcision, because you did it to your son, and to admit circumcision is wrong would be to admit that you injured your son on purpose. That is a horrifying thought, and one some mothers go to great lengths to avoid thinking. I understand that. But please, for the sake of your future sons, read some more threads on this board. Circumcision is an unnecessary cosmetic procedure, and the doctors who told you that your infant son had phimosis were mistaken.

MichelleZB is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 01:27 PM
 
QueenOfTheMeadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: with the wildlife
Posts: 17,836
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Distraughtmama-

Welcome to MDC.  I would like to draw your attention to the forum guidlines. 

 

Quote:
Mothering questions routine medical circumcision and advocates for informed consent. TCAC hosts discussion of the reasons to avoid circumcision, the history of the procedure, medical issues and studies, complications, the needs and rights of the child, care of the intact child's penis and other educational topics. We are not interested in hosting discussion on merits of routine infant medical circumcision.

I've allowed a few of the posts to remain in order to allow the opportunity to address some common misinformation regarding circumcision for future members, but I have removed a few as well.  In the future, if you choose to post in TCAC, remember the purpose and forum guidlines of this forum.  Thank you!


 
QueenOfTheMeadow is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 03:22 PM
 
TheDanaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is intact. We have had no issues with his foreskin, nor did we expect to. Care is easy - clean it like a finger. My grandfather never had problems with his foreskin from birth, through WW2, & eventually in a nursing home. I don't expect my son to encounter any problems, either.
TheDanaK is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:06 PM
 
QueenOfTheMeadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: with the wildlife
Posts: 17,836
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Greg- Just a heads up, because your post came across as debating the poster and not the post, it has been removed. 


 
QueenOfTheMeadow is offline  
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM
 
mama24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: with the dust bunnies
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I was scrolling through a bunch of circ quotes tonight, and this one made me think of the recent & not-so-recent discussion in this thread: "Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn." Benjamin Franklin.

 

Sus


Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
mama24-7 is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 02:44 PM
 
Greg B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dover, DE, US
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

Greg- Just a heads up, because your post came across as debating the poster and not the post, it has been removed. 

OK, I didn't mean it that way, nor did I read it that way.  My intention was to draw attention to the words used and think about how that may give inisght into how they make decisions.  My post was actually directed toward the others reading or participating.

 

I find this to be potentially important in understanding how to discuss and or make points when this or other issues come up in discussion.  Someone using logic and objective based decision making can usually be swayed by logic and citing studies.

 

Someone who is using what I would call faith based reasoning, whether religous derived, or secular, needs a different approach, in my experience.  For them, you need to understand enough of there assumtions and then sort out how to work with those assumtions first.

 

But thanks for the heads up, I can see you or others reading between the lines and feeling like I was attacking her.

 

Regards

Greg B is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM
 
artekah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow Greg- Just a heads up, because your post came across as debating the poster and not the post, it has been removed. Someone who is using what I would call faith based reasoning, whether religous derived, or secular, needs a different approach, in my experience. For them, you need to understand enough of there assumtions and then sort out how to work with those assumtions first. But thanks for the heads up, I can see you or others reading between the lines and feeling like I was attacking her. Regards

I find this really interesting. If you are willing to discuss, what do you think are some of the common assumptions surrounding circumcision that keep people in that faith-based mode where they won't respond to reason or facts? And how do you work with those assumptions so you can get to the point where you're speaking the same language, if you will?

I struggle with this a lot, because when you simply look at the information before you, it is SO completely obvious that infant circumcision is SO completely wrong. It is a no-brainer, once you know the basic facts (and I mean BASIC, like reading one page on the functions of the foreskin.) I've always assumed that if we could just make sure everyone has the facts, the practice would just stop immediately. But obviously it's not that simple. So how do you talk to people who are not only uninformed but also invested in faith-based thinking around the subject? In a way that actually makes a difference for more little boys?

ETA: Perhaps that is a better discussion for a new thread. Didn't mean to go off topic! But I am interested in communication strategies for bridging the gap on this issue.
artekah is offline  
Old 08-19-2012, 03:17 PM
 
artekah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Double post
artekah is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 AM
 
herbsmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artekah View Post


I find this really interesting. If you are willing to discuss, what do you think are some of the common assumptions surrounding circumcision that keep people in that faith-based mode where they won't respond to reason or facts? And how do you work with those assumptions so you can get to the point where you're speaking the same language, if you will?
I struggle with this a lot, because when you simply look at the information before you, it is SO completely obvious that infant circumcision is SO completely wrong. It is a no-brainer, once you know the basic facts (and I mean BASIC, like reading one page on the functions of the foreskin.) I've always assumed that if we could just make sure everyone has the facts, the practice would just stop immediately. But obviously it's not that simple. So how do you talk to people who are not only uninformed but also invested in faith-based thinking around the subject? In a way that actually makes a difference for more little boys?

I just circumcised my boys out of ignorance--I didn't even know that there was such a thing as foreskin, or that my husband was circumcised at all!!!  I had very little understanding of penis anatomy and I didn't think of it before hand.  I had a jewish doctor who sort-of didn't understand why I wouldn't circ. and a husband who was already circ'd and didn't understand either.  I certainly regret my decision, but these days lose little sleep over it because they're fine, healthy, and it can no longer be changed without a traumatic experience again (they're 9 and 11, and frankly I think they'd think I was crazy if I told them we were having a surgery to put skin over their penis).  

 

One thing I think that could make it easier to talk to people is not to assume that the information is given.  I'm a fairly bright woman with advanced degrees and all of that kind of thing.  Still, penis anatomy that I learned somewhere in grade school or high school somehow didn't stick in my brain (I wasn't paying attention) and those first few days of parenting were shocking on their own--a little circumcision didn't seem too far-fetched with all of the other things that I had just seen for the first time.  Then, knowing that my brothers were all circumcised made it that much easier (I called my mom first, just to check).  

 

I am the kind of person who listens well to facts and to ideas around them--I can tell you that, if I had been informed, I would never have chosen circumcision.  But I can also say that people can often be offensive when they feel that they have a purchase on the "right" answer.  Ideally, we all have to make decisions for ourselves.  That is the part of parenting (and life!) that is the hardest.  I think you can do what I do and not make people feel badly for what choices they've already made (and always be mindful that you can't see in a boys pants--the people you least suspect that would make that decision just MIGHT have!).  I can tell you that I will advise my sons and daughter against circumcision in the future, and I am sure that this discussion will only go on for a generation or more.  Some will be lost in the battle--mine were.  Unfortunately, the best you can do is to accept that unfortunate fact and get on with informing people as best you can.  Hopefully, the less people are offended by the subject, the better on we'll all be.  Hopefully, in the end, we can stop this rather inhumane procedure.  

 

Maggie

herbsmd is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM
 
GoBecGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maggie i think what you said is very insightful and it actually applies to a lot of things.

 

I have had 2 homebirths and my main motivators were a real fear of being out of control in a hospital environment and being forced to have interventions i didn't want.  All my friends know my choices and my reasoning and all but one of them ended up with a disappointing/traumatic first birth because though they understood, theoretically, why i did what i did, they didn't REALLY get what i was on about until they had hindsight.  They all knew the basic facts about birth and i'd told them that if you go somewhere where there's a 60% cs rate you're more likely to get a cs than not, but they didn't "get" what i meant, truly, until they were post cs and looking over notes on a fairly normal labour disrupted by interventions.  So even giving people information, doesn't necessarily they will KNOW afterwards.

 

I think a lot of decisions we make can be that way.  I had a thyroid problem after i'd had DD1 and in order to make sure she "had enough milk" i ended up topping up with formula (because my supply was dropping and she was hungry).  Of course within a few weeks she was weaned because she began to refuse the breast and my supply totally bombed.  But i thought the "don't mix feeds unless you're willing to wean completely" advice didn't apply to ME, someone who had BFed for 4 months already - i thought it only applied to women with newborns struggling to get a good latch!  I look back and know that though my thyroid problem was at the root of my supply issues i COULD have avoided weaning if i'd fed fed fed and never offered alternative milks and pumped and taken herbs and so on.  I know now, having pumped for a friend and managed to increase by 9oz/day on herbs and pumping, having BFed #2 for 2 years, what is possible.  Back then i just. didn't. know.  And being told unfortunately didn't really change that.

GoBecGo is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 AM
 
herbsmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

"So even giving people information, doesn't necessarily [mean that] they will KNOW afterwards.  I think a lot of decisions we make can be that way... Back then i just. didn't. know.  And being told unfortunately didn't really change that."

 

I hope you don't mind that I just took this part of your quote...but for some reason it just summed up my experience parenting PERFECTLY!!!

 

Heh!!  If we knew then what we know now...how differently would we parent?  I did a lot of things right...but I did a lot more of them wrong.   The funniest part about it all is that the more I learn, the less I feel like I know!  A very humbling experience to be sure!!!

 

How wonderful that women have the internet, rapid communication, digital technology, and all of these new inventions by which to share information.  If only I could have texted a girlfriend with a son and asked her opinion on circumcision...she probably would have had articles right on her phone that she could have forwarded to me ;)

 

Thank you for sharing your experience!! 

Maggie

herbsmd is offline  
Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
 
rondloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do. Had way too many foreskin issues growing up. Phimosis stayed no matter how much the doctor stretched my foreskin.

rondloper is offline  
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
 
tammylsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's too bad Rondloper, sorry you had trouble. Luckily, true phimosis is a rare occurence (someone help me... in countries that are informed about intact penises, it's like 1%, right?)... meanwhile, unfortunately, once it's cut, and you have a problem, you can't do much.. like my friend's son, poor little guy's penis is in constant pain and needs corrective surgery due to a botched circ :( I'm pretty sure this is not such a rare occurance here in the states.


Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
tammylsmith is offline  
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM
 
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: With Vin Diesel ;) YUMMMM
Posts: 14,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondloper View Post

I do. Had way too many foreskin issues growing up. Phimosis stayed no matter how much the doctor stretched my foreskin.



The very act of the Dr. "stretching" your foreskin is probably what caused the problems. I dont know what age you where when the Dr. started doing this but I do know that repeat force retraction of the foreskin causes scar tissue leading to true phimosis down the road. It used to be thought that the foreskin should be retracted and cleaned from birth and many Dr's would forcibly do this at every appt. and mothers where told to do it at every diaper change. We now know that this is actually what caused many of the issues with the foreskin and that it should never be done.

I am sorry that you went through so much growing up. It makes me even more thankful for the internet and boards like this one that actually teach parents how to protect their children from Dr's who are still not up to date on the proper intact care ie leaving it alone to let nature take its course.

 
SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

MCatLvrMom2A&X is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
 
rondloper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Started around the age of six. Urinating became very painful and the foreskin just started getting tighter and tighter. It had never been retracted before. At that age, it should have been a lot looser, maybe fully retractable, but was not. The doctor did not try to pull back the foreskin at all, the first thing he did was to insert a blunt probe to feel how loose it was and it was about 50% loose at the time. He then used a forceps to stretch the retractable part of the foreskin and in the process of doing this scarred the glans with gouges as well as tore the inner foreskin. This happened many times over a few years. I used to try to retract it on my own and it was very painful and a few times the foreskin got stuck behind the glans. At age ten or so the last of the foreskin tore away from the glans. I was shocked at the buildup of smegma. That was an incredible turnoff. Never could get rid of the stuff. At that point the outer foreskin was regularly tearing with retraction as well. It was very painful when this happened. Overall I always had a feeling of pressure around my glans which was very uncomfortable almost all the time.

 

Tammy, to answer your question on percentages in countries that do not circumcise as we do here in the US where foreskin problems occur, I would guess way more than 1%. There are no statistics as to what percentage of uncircumcised boys/men have foreskin issues as none of these are every published. Depending on what stats are published, I would say that figure is probably about 10% on the low end and as high as about 20% on the high end.  I grew up outside the US, where circumcision was not widely practiced at all, and from what I recall, there were at least 5 or 6 of my friends that all had similar problems and I know at least 4 of them finally got circumcised because of it. If I recall about 1/3 (10 - 12) were circumcised from early school days in the gym showers. Towards the end of high school there were probably another 5 or 6 that had been circumcised as well. So that would make it closer to 50% by the time we were all sexually active.

rondloper is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 AM
 
MichelleZB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondloper View Post

Started around the age of six. Urinating became very painful and the foreskin just started getting tighter and tighter. It had never been retracted before. At that age, it should have been a lot looser, maybe fully retractable, but was not. The doctor did not try to pull back the foreskin at all, the first thing he did was to insert a blunt probe to feel how loose it was and it was about 50% loose at the time. He then used a forceps to stretch the retractable part of the foreskin and in the process of doing this scarred the glans with gouges as well as tore the inner foreskin. This happened many times over a few years. I used to try to retract it on my own and it was very painful and a few times the foreskin got stuck behind the glans. At age ten or so the last of the foreskin tore away from the glans. I was shocked at the buildup of smegma. That was an incredible turnoff. Never could get rid of the stuff. At that point the outer foreskin was regularly tearing with retraction as well. It was very painful when this happened. Overall I always had a feeling of pressure around my glans which was very uncomfortable almost all the time.

 

Tammy, to answer your question on percentages in countries that do not circumcise as we do here in the US where foreskin problems occur, I would guess way more than 1%. There are no statistics as to what percentage of uncircumcised boys/men have foreskin issues as none of these are every published. Depending on what stats are published, I would say that figure is probably about 10% on the low end and as high as about 20% on the high end.  I grew up outside the US, where circumcision was not widely practiced at all, and from what I recall, there were at least 5 or 6 of my friends that all had similar problems and I know at least 4 of them finally got circumcised because of it. If I recall about 1/3 (10 - 12) were circumcised from early school days in the gym showers. Towards the end of high school there were probably another 5 or 6 that had been circumcised as well. So that would make it closer to 50% by the time we were all sexually active.

 

20% of intact boys having problems? That's 1 in 5! That seems extremely high to me, seeing as how I know lots of intact men and exactly none of them have suffered the least inconvenience. I am suspicious of your post, rondloper.

MichelleZB is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
 
tammylsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am sorry you had to go through that, as I'm sure it was painful (like it is for newborns) and traumatic (like it is for newborns). I do thank you for contributing though, because your thoughts are valued, as is sharing your experience. It has an important place in the discussion. But as a mom who was so worried about the decision (and as a marketing person who understands how this thread will probably pop up in many google searches :-) I just want to put it in perspective for others...

 

This from the Canadian Pediatric Society

"Of every 1,000 boys who are not circumcised:

  • 7 will be admitted to hospital for a UTI before they are one year old.
  • 10 will have a circumcision later in life for medical reasons, such as a condition called phimosis. Phimosis is when the opening of the foreskin is scarred and narrow because of infections in the area that keep coming back. Older children who are circumcised may need a general anesthetic, and may have more complications than newborns."

 

so that would be 1%

 

Furthermore:

Of every 1,000 boys who are circumcised:

  • 20 to 30 will have a surgical complication, such as too much bleeding or infection in the area.
  • 2 to 3 will have a more serious complication that needs more treatment. Examples include having too much skin removed or more serious bleeding.
  • 2 will be admitted to hospital for a urinary tract infection (UTI) before they are one year old.
  • About 10 babies may need to have the circumcision done again because of a poor result.

 

http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/circumcision


Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
tammylsmith is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
 
tammylsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just to make sure I'm being clear... it would seem that whether the child starts out circumcised or not, 1% will have to have it done again... so why do it in the first place if that is what you are worried about?

 *edited to add*

I was thinking about this, for the sake of other parents who are searching for answers. I'm sure one would come back "surely if 1% had to be circumcised, there were many more who suffered problems without ending up circumcised." I thought I would try and answer that.

 

1) Being alive has the general side-effect of occasional health problems... sometimes even serious ones (this applies to all body parts)

 

2) Just because only 1% of circ'd boys have to be re-circ'd, that doesn't account for the many, many more who suffer problems with things like too-tight cut, skin bridges and meatal stenosis.

 

My take-home point, for a mama or papa who is in the mental place I was two years ago.... Problems can happen no matter what you choose. Why not let your child stay as they were meant to be? If something comes up... deal with it when you actually know what the problem is. I can tell you that the minute my son was born, all of my trepidations and my husband's protest evaporated. His penis is fine, his foreskin is ridiculously benign and easy to care for... not even getting diaper rash once. All you need to know is this: Take good care of them. Make sure you are getting proper medical advice. Nature knows what to do :-) (after all... have you ever heard of a dog/cat/cow/horse/ANY OTHER MAMMAL needing circumcision... even though they don't have thumbs or access to showers? Isn't that a weird thought? Of course... because having foreskin is NORMAL, just remember that
 
(PS, directed at rond... being circumcised is normal too! if you are an adult, or old enough to know that is what you want or need, than it is merely a medical tool...  neither good nor bad. I just want to make sure circ'd guys reading this don't feel attacked, because that isn't the point of this discussion)

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
tammylsmith is offline  
Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM
 
pek64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many of the 1% were caused by doctors or nurses not knowing how to handle (or when not to handle) a whole penis?
pek64 is offline  
 

Tags
Circumcision
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off