Cloth diapers and circumcision - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was talking to a momma today who I've known for over 10 years. She has a daughter who is married and who should have been out of college for a couple years now, but took another career path after HS and didn't go to college. Her youngest, a son, just started his third year of college a couple months ago.

Anyway, the daughter was cloth diapered.

The son was disposable diaper, but the momma was disappointed to have to do this. She said he got bad rashes.

After she told me (a few mins ago), about the son's diaper situation, I remember she mentioned he was circumcised. I looked into it, and there appears to be a link between cloth diapers, rashes, and circumcised penises.

Is it just a random occurrence, or is there a true link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

lurk.gif

That ought to be interesting...

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I've never heard that before.  Is there a study or is this anecdotal?  From what my mom said, I had horrible rashes with cloth diapers, but my other two sisters had none. 

#4 of 10 Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)

What would be the reason for cloth diapers causing more rashes on circumcised but not intact boy's bums? It doesn't make sense to me.

My son, incidentally, is cloth diapered and intact. He gets very few rashes, though he does get them every once in awhile and we get rid of them quickly by letting him chill out diaperless for a day or two.

#5 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 AM

My daughter (intact) gets miserable rashes, poor girl. My son (intact) does not. I'd guess it's just the kiddo's individual sensitivity. 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#6 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 AM

Sounds anecdotal, and I can't find anything about it through a cursory search. My first thought on this is that after circumcision, keritnazation begins. Maybe cloth diapers rub the area more than disposables. However, since circumcision is ages old, even in the US being culturally present over 100 years, there have always been circumcised boys in cloth. And at some points in history, and perhaps places on Earth today, there are cut little girls in cloth :'( It's all so sad to me, really.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#7 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post

My daughter (intact) gets miserable rashes, poor girl. My son (intact) does not. I'd guess it's just the kiddo's individual sensitivity. 

OT: have you considered elimination communication?  There's an area here on MDC about it.  Diaper rash was the reason I started it w/ my second child.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#8 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM

The scar tissue that replaces the foreskin following surgical amputation is much more sensitive to abrasions then the outer layer of the foreskin is. It is no different than any other scar on the body. If you have a scar than you are likely aware that it is more sensitive than the normal tissue around, this scar just happens to be on the penis. There may be a link between increased rashes and irritation around the scar and the type of covering used. Certainly the glans of an infant is going to be very sensitive to pain and abrasion, that is why it the foreskin does not retract until many years later. I am not aware of any particular studies in regards to this matter, but i am aware that attempting to compromise or change evolution is going to have very many deleterious effects on an individual.
#9 of 10 Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Update and I kind of forgot about this thread!

Anyway, the mom worked in pediatrics "back in the day" (I'm guessing 70s and/or 80s) and said a lot of babies had diaper rashes. (I didn't ask how many were circ.) Whoever said it could be "individual sensitivities" could be right.
#10 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

OT: have you considered elimination communication?  There's an area here on MDC about it.  Diaper rash was the reason I started it w/ my second child.

Best wishes,

Sus

You know, I have! I did EC part time with my son! I should stop thinking of doing it with her and DO IT! 

I did have a huge breakthrough since my post. My diapers had a big ammonia buildup and on top of that I figured out that DD's rash was yeast. I stripped the diapers and used GV on DD. CURED! energy.gif

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page