Need Help ASAP keeping 8-month-old's foreskin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby boy just turned 8 months, and woke up this morning with his penis extremely red and swollen, and was clearly miserable. I took him immediately to his doctor, who ordered an antibiotic and ointment and said to come back in the morning for a recheck. His comment 'this is why people circumcise, if it doesn't get better we may have to' is making me wary.

He has me giving sitz baths with epsom salts frequently, no diapers all day, and a cloth at night, and above all watching to make sure he's peeing.

He has not peed since four hours, although he could have gone in his baths. I am very concerned about that, and need to know what options I have if I end up in the ER tonight, or the doctor with no improvement in the morning.

People with infection experience: what treatment options are there? I have been scouring the internet and our doctor didn't do a swab culture. I consider him foreskin-friendly but not sure now.

My only idea is to request a pediatric urologist, but if it is an emergency I may not get one. I want to know there was truly no choice if he gets circumcised. Not peeing is serious, please school me on being prepared if you can. If we must, we must, but I just don't know and won't have time to research a decision.

Please send some healing energy to my little sweetie, healing is the best answer!
#2 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 AM

If it was yeast then abx will make it worse that is why a swab is so important. The baths are a good idea so keep those up. Odds are if it is an infection it will start to clear up very soon.

It is possible that he is starting to separate as well which can sometimes cause bad swelling and pain you can read more about that in this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732

I hope your ds feels better soon and honestly as long as he is urinating (4 hours without I would push more fluids and watch) he should be fine. My own ds swelled so badly it was scary, his penis was the size of his wrist at its worst, but he never had issues voiding his bladder though he did try to hold it since it burned when he did go.

I would bet that if you looked closely you could still see the opening in his foreskin where urine can come out. I would also imagine that he went in the bath since most of the time kids will go then.

I have never heard on one case where circ had to be done due to penile swelling of this type.

Your dr's comment tells me he is not foreskin friendly and after this I would look for a new Dr. in case something comes up again you need someone you can depend on without having to worry constantly that his only answer will be to cut.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say I bet he is peeing in the bath. Especially if he is in pain because it will be less painful in the water. How swollen is he? DS1 has got red and a little swollen before and it turned out he had scratched himself. We did the epsom salt baths and when he'd get out we were supposed to pour some dilluted apple cider vinegar his penis. Red and swollen is not a reason to circumcise. As far as I know, the only reasons are gangrene and cancer. I'd push for a swab, and also probably put him in a diaper (you could do cloth but coverless) so that you know if he's peeing or not.

#4 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 AM

This is why people circumcise? These american doctors keep forgetting that no one in europe or latin america circumcises their sons, perhaps because they are just smarter than him or they have a forekskin themselves. I highly doubt that he will ever need to be circumcised. Occasionally kids get ear infections, sometimes they can be repeat or severe, but i am not aware of anyone advocating cutting the ears off of children due to an infection. Your son will likely get over this with treatment as he would with any infection anywhere else. I would reccomend attempting to contact definitive foreskin friendly doctors, Preferably ones that have a foreskin themselves. You can use the resources on this site to find one or you could ask some of the mothers here that are from the united kingdom where circumcision is effectively non existent to see what they think. Good luck, keep your son intact, he will love you for perservering over this little bump in the road of parenting and thank you for it later on.
#5 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Sounds pretty scary for you.  (((hugs)))

My usual response when circ is recommended for things like this is to ask the dr. what they would do w/ a problem in a female child.  Circumcision would never be recommended for any girl problems.  

You might try Marilyn Milos, RN, founder of NOCIRC, Doctors Opposing Circumcision and/or The Whole Network for a recommendation on a doctor who is truly foreskin friendly.

It is my unscientific opinion that many of the problems that arise in the foreskin are the result of a lack of beneficial flora on & in the body.  In your shoes, I would apply powdered probiotics to my ds' penis.  If he was born via c-section, has had any artificial milk, has had antibiotics before, you have had antibiotics, yeast infections, chronic illness, intestinal issues, or a whole host of other things, healthy bacteria are in order.  I've been researching this stuff for over 8.5 years since I discovered food issues in my children.  Our bodies are seriously lacking in the healthy bacteria that keeps everything else in check, usually.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#6 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

Sounds pretty scary for you.  (((hugs)))

My usual response when circ is recommended for things like this is to ask the dr. what they would do w/ a problem in a female child.  Circumcision would never be recommended for any girl problems.  

You might try Marilyn Milos, RN, founder of NOCIRC, Doctors Opposing Circumcision and/or The Whole Network for a recommendation on a doctor who is truly foreskin friendly.

It is my unscientific opinion that many of the problems that arise in the foreskin are the result of a lack of beneficial flora on & in the body.  In your shoes, I would apply powdered probiotics to my ds' penis.  If he was born via c-section, has had any artificial milk, has had antibiotics before, you have had antibiotics, yeast infections, chronic illness, intestinal issues, or a whole host of other things, healthy bacteria are in order.  I've been researching this stuff for over 8.5 years since I discovered food issues in my children.  Our bodies are seriously lacking in the healthy bacteria that keeps everything else in check, usually.

Best wishes,

Sus

OP...are you breastfeeding?

I would get some breastmilk on that penis ASAP, and do it often.  Couldn't hurt, and might help a lot.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#7 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post

I would get some breastmilk on that penis ASAP, and do it often.  Couldn't hurt, and might help a lot.

If you suspect that the irritation is due to a yeast infection, please do not put breast milk on it.  Breast milk just feeds the yeast and makes the whole situation worse.  If you're not suspecting yeast, then go ahead.

#8 of 10 Old 10-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma1325 View Post
OP...are you breastfeeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post
If you suspect that the irritation is due to a yeast infection, please do not put breast milk on it.  Breast milk just feeds the yeast and makes the whole situation worse.  If you're not suspecting yeast, then go ahead.

I was thinking the same thing.  Probiotics will give the helpful bacteria w/o extra stuff that can feed the yeast.  The reason why yeast can thrive is a lack of sufficient friendly bacteria.  In a healthy system, the friendly bacteria keep things like yeast in check.  I use an allergy friendly probiotic so I don't have to worry about any dairy, etc. in it.  That may not be a concern for most people though.

Best wishes,
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#9 of 10 Old 10-24-2012, 06:33 AM

Just be confident in your own way and don't let the snide comments of others make you feel bad. Some people circumcise and some people don't, and some people who do still get urinary tract infections. It's easy for mothers to feel judged, but you clearly care for your child or you wouldn't be here posting! Good vibes to you and your son.

#10 of 10 Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggsy View Post

Just be confident in your own way and don't let the snide comments of others make you feel bad. Some people circumcise and some people don't, and some people who do still get urinary tract infections. It's easy for mothers to feel judged, but you clearly care for your child or you wouldn't be here posting! Good vibes to you and your son.

I agree with this.  I have a neighbor whose son got circed at 8 years old because of recurring urinary tract infections.  From what I've heard, the circ hasn't helped the problem at all.  What a loss.  I also agree with the comment about "what would you do for a girl having these problems?"  Men all over the world deal with UTI's without cutting part of their penis off for heaven's sake.  Ridiculous.

transylvania_mom likes this.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page