Another study (this one from California) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

LOS ANGELES — Circumcision is known to reduce a man’s risk of HIV infection by at least half, but scientists don’t know why.

A new study offers support for the theory that removing the foreskin deprives troublesome bacteria of a place to live, leaving the immune system in much better shape to keep the human immunodeficiency virus at bay.

By reducing the number of anaerobic bacteria, the body’s immune cells may be better able to destroy the virus — and less likely to fall prey to its Trojan horse-style of attack, said Dr. Cindy Liu, a pathologist at the Translational Genomics Research Institute in Flagstaff, Ariz., who led the study.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2013/04/17/study-tries-to-explain-effect-of-circumcision-on-hiv.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Gotta love this.  Do these researchers not know that the majority of the men in this country are circ'd & yet we still have very high rates of HIV/AIDS?  Guess not.  Wonder when they'll start studying the reduction in risk for women when we circ them.  Hypocrites.

Disgusting.  faint.gif

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sigh, this all goes back to those flawed African studies. Will there ever be some progress?
#4 of 4 Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

*sigh.  This article showed up on the Time website and my Google News. I have a few friends who were on the fence about RIC who I'm sure have seen & read it.  Never mind that 79% of our current population is circed and we have 1.1 million people infected with the virus (according to the CDC).  I'm all for finding a way to prevent transmission, but methinks this isn't the most effective strategy...

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

Tags
Circumcision

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page