I have to say... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After reading so much information about intact care and seeing so many of your stories, I am so thankful that my husband is not circumcised.

I'm 17 weeks along with my first child, and will be finding out the sex in about 2 1/2 weeks.  My husband and I have had many, many discussions about circumcision, and I'm so grateful for the fact that not only is he uncircumcised (and Jewish, BTW), but he is passionate about the issue.  To be honest, it's nice to have at least one parenting issue where he's the outspoken one.  :)  He was my first intact partner, and it was such an edifying experience to be with him. 

Anyway, my point is this - I feel very confident about not circumcising should this child be male.  Where I frequently worry is how I'll have to advocate for my future son - not having a penis myself, it's hard to get those little questions answered that might come up.  Luckily, my husband will be there.  I plan now on having him come along on the majority of pediatrician appointments, at least until I can determine our doctor's attitude and amount of knowledge towards uncircumcised boys.  And I know he will be able to tell me what might be normal or what might not be.  I consider myself very lucky.

Also, just as a note for those of you wanting to be even more sure you did the right thing by leaving your sons intact - my husband has two brothers, and all three were left intact.  They are Jewish, as I said, but Reform, and while my husband and his younger brother are completely content with their foreskins, his older brother converted to Orthodox Judaism a few years ago and got himself circumcised as an adult.  It was completely his decision, and he had no problem having it done.  Leaving a boy intact as a child doesn't mean he can't himself make that decision as an adult. 

Sorry if this isn't the right place for my post, but I just had to have my say.  I've been spending too much time on other boards on other websites where I get hugely outnumbered by parents choosing to circumcise, and I'm always afraid to say my piece.  :)

Viola likes this.

Moni - 31 years old, married for 4 years, and new momma to Norah, born October 16th, 2013! smile.gif
#2 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

I am glad you feel this(  pro intact )way as I do too!!!!!

#3 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  :)

Here's another interesting thing that came up last night.  I was asking my husband if he remembered when his foreskin started to retract, and he did say at first that he thinks it happened when he was older (like preteenish) and that he just went, "Oh, huh, that does this now."  When I asked him if a doctor had ever messed with it, he replied, "No.  Well... wait.  I have this one vague memory." 

Apparently, though he doesn't remember any physical trauma, he does remember having to rub some sort of pink liquid on his penis while he was at a doctor's appointment.  He said he did it himself, but that he hated it because it stung very badly.  This would have been in the early 90s, so I'm not sure what would have been done then, but we couldn't figure out if it was because he had an infection, or because he had an injury to his foreskin.  Hmm.

Anyway... it works perfectly now, so that's good at least.  Odd, though, that it was almost like a repressed memory for him until we dug it out!

Moni - 31 years old, married for 4 years, and new momma to Norah, born October 16th, 2013! smile.gif
#4 of 11 Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM

It's nice that you have a husband who knows about this stuff. I'm worried about that because my husband is circumcised and we do not plan on circumcising our baby. He might not know what is normal, neither will I, if there is a problem we would have to research and figure it out. Not that there should be a problem with a normal body part our son will be born with, but you know what I mean. I'm also wondering if it will bother our son that he does not look like his dad, but I think that can be a teaching tool to help him be proud of what he has. Just because daddy is circumcised does not mean our future sons will be, the cycle is ending here.

*I say all this at 16 weeks pregnant and not knowing what my baby will be, but we all think it's a boy so I take this seriously.

#5 of 11 Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLplus1 View Post

It's nice that you have a husband who knows about this stuff. I'm worried about that because my husband is circumcised and we do not plan on circumcising our baby. He might not know what is normal, neither will I, if there is a problem we would have to research and figure it out. Not that there should be a problem with a normal body part our son will be born with, but you know what I mean. I'm also wondering if it will bother our son that he does not look like his dad, but I think that can be a teaching tool to help him be proud of what he has. Just because daddy is circumcised does not mean our future sons will be, the cycle is ending here.

*I say all this at 16 weeks pregnant and not knowing what my baby will be, but we all think it's a boy so I take this seriously.

Maybe this thread will help? http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1228068/post-here-if-youve-never-had-a-problem  Many mother's had had these "what ifs," when pregnant w/ their first boy.  It's unknown territory!  I have two boys, almost 8 & almost 4.  In the 12-ish years I've been parenting them, we haven't had anything related to their penis I couldn't take care of or figure out taking care of by applying info from other areas I've learned about.   

There's also a thread around that lists common concerns, I think.  No time to search for it right now.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#6 of 11 Old 05-15-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:Originally Posted by CLplus1 View Post

"I'm also wondering if it will bother our son that he does not look like his dad, but I think that can be a teaching tool to help him be proud of what he has. Just because daddy is circumcised does not mean our future sons will be, the cycle is ending here."

Congratulations on your most sensible decision to leave your son intact.  I have never heard of a real life case where a boy was bothered that his penis was not a carbon copy of his Dad's. It was certainly never an issue in  our family.   The truth is that a lot of men do not know what their Dad's status is!

#7 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Neither my husband (circumcised) or I have ever understood the reasoning that "the son should look like Daddy." So, to follow that argument, why not get the son a nose job and dye his hair too? Besides, my husband says he never saw his own father naked anyway, nor do my son and husband spend any time comparing penises. Ridiculous!
#8 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Neither my husband (circumcised) or I have ever understood the reasoning that "the son should look like Daddy." So, to follow that argument, why not get the son a nose job and dye his hair too? Besides, my husband says he never saw his own father naked anyway, nor do my son and husband spend any time comparing penises. Ridiculous!
#9 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM

#10 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM

#11 of 11 Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM

I love our pediatrician group today we had a different doctor for my sons 18 month and as he was looking him over he looked at me and said.

"Now you know to never retract the foreskin right? That it will happen naturally on its own?"

I just loved it.

Then he asked me how I cleaned it. I told him I get the babies hands soapy and then let him go to town in the tub as it fills up. To which he replied.

"That's perfect! You don't even need soap let him play in clean water."

I was expecting some sort of routine or so on and he said exactly what I wanted to hear.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page