Doing a speech on circumcion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so Im looking online and everywhere im looking, media, medical all is saying that the decline in circumcision will cost the US billions of dollars etc.  it's very frustrating trying to find unbiased sources of information to cite that will be considered a trustworthy source when everything out there, including the AAP seems to be pushing circumcision and saying how it decreases STD, AIDS and saves money.  Ugg

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#2 of 7 Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Can you look at sources outside the US in countries, like in Europe, who don't circ?  I don't know.  First thing that has come to mind.

Good luck.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 7 Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM

so all of the "experts" are pushing circumcision like never before... 

... and yet, yet, yet... a growing percentage of parents today are choosing to leave their children's bodies intact.

i actually think that this dichotomy is the most interesting aspect of the situation. 

who is your audience for the speech? what is the topic exactly? 

[without knowing what you are going to talk about exactly and who you are talking to... i think it's a good approach to just treat the subject like the informed mothers treat the subject with reluctant partners -- that "i don't have to prove to you why circumcision is a bad choice. YOU have to prove to ME why it's a good idea to do unnecessary cosmetic surgery on an unconsenting newborn." and approach the subject of "why do you suppose that a growing number of parents are bucking the cultural "norm" and choosing NOT to do unnecessary surgeries despite the medical establishment pushing it? and why exactly do the medical professionals push circumcision? could it be that there is something in it for them (the doctors who perform the circumcisions)? is the American public getting wise to this fact?

interesting topic!

#4 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well.I wrote the speech I wanted then ironically had to cut out 2/3 of it. It meets the requirements for speech class. It barely scratches the surface but I think its very persuasive and moving.
Night_Nurse likes this.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#5 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Thank you for your humor.  That was perfect.

I hope your speech goes well.

#6 of 7 Old 07-27-2013, 10:34 PM

So, what did you talk about? How did your speech go?  What was the reaction of the audience?  Good for you for choosing this topic as it can't help but educate some and instill a curiosity to seek more information in others.

#7 of 7 Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went over almost 2 mins, still got 90%. My classmates had pretty positive feedback. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vu1eZHolJE&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2vu1eZHolJE%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page