Couple questions regarding circumcision - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I am from Argentina. I'm pregnant with a boy, my first baby, I'm almost 23 weeks. Over here nobody performs rutine circumcisions to their baby boys. I started to research on the subject with the idea of performing a circumcision to my baby, bc my husband is half-circumcised due to some issues he had as a child (don't know exactly what, should ask my MIL), and also an old ex boyfriend of mine had to have a circumcision while he was dating me due to issues with the retraction of the foreskin.

With that background comes to my mind the idea of sparing my boy a surgery later in life, by having him circumcised as a baby boy. So far, with everything I have read here and in different sites, I am not doing it, and if he really has an issue with foreskin, we'll deal with that when the time comes.

Also, I saw a youtube video of a circumcision and I don't really wanna do that to my baby.

Eitherway, I still have the question wether my experience with foreskin in those two males (mi ex-bf and my husband) was random, or it is actually something that could happen to many men. I actually seriously considered the idea of circumcision based on those two cases, and my ex-bf actually told me that the sensations during intercourse were more intense without the foreskin. My husband could not tell me since he had the procedure done when he was little. That confused me, considering that everywhere I read it states that foreskin is an important part of male sexuallity regarding sensations. 

And on the side, something that really shocked me was to read here in this forums that in the US doctors used/still use to perform this surgical procedure to boys without the consent of the parents. How could that be? Why are they being so invasive?

I am a HB mom, so I'm actually pretty much against interventions. Not a really extreme HB, I have prenatal care, u/s, doctors appointments, but I don't want all the crisis you usually see in hospitals around a birthing woman, I don't want to be drugged, induced, cut, well, all the works. So I couldn't believe that a doctor would actually take someone else's baby and mutilate him without consent.

#2 of 8 Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As far as your ex feeling more intense pleasure after his circumcision, if it was done when he was an adult then the glans can feel temporarily more sensitive.  After a while, though, without the protection of the foreskin the glans will lose sensitivity.

I really like this article about phimosis (foreskin getting "stuck"):

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/phony-phimosis-diagnosis.html

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 8 Old 08-08-2013, 05:35 AM

Circ for a non retractable foreskin should be a very last resort but many Dr's would rather cut first instead of trying other things. The first line of treatment should be stretching with or without the aid of steroid cream (this is for adult males not children) If that proves to not work because of scar tissue then a small slit can be done at the tip to allow for retraction.

If the foreskin is left alone to develop naturally and retract when it is ready to the odds of having a true problem are less than 1%

Things to remember:
Never retract the foreskin (pull it back toward the glans)
Never allow a Dr. or anyone else to do so.
There is no set age when retraction happens for some it is as early as 2-3 yrs for others it dosnt happen until well into puberty, either is perfectly normal.
As the retraction process happens some pain with or without redness might be seen. If it does happen it will usually resolve in 24-48 hours.
The retraction process happens over time from months to years. To see one part totally separated while another is still attached is normal and nothing to worry about.
Some boys balloon when they urinate, the foreskin will swell up during urination this is also totally normal .
The normal appearance of the intact glans is a bright purple/red as is not a cause for concern though it can be a bit shocking if you are used to seeing circed glans.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 8 Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If in Argentina nobody does it and everyone functions just fine without it, you have there the proof that your son needing a circ. later in life are very, very slim.
Congratulations on your baby boy!
KistheMum likes this.

Ds 9 and dd 5
#5 of 8 Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post

If in Argentina nobody does it and everyone functions just fine without it, you have there the proof that your son needing a circ. later in life are very, very slim.
Congratulations on your baby boy!

yeahthat.gif  On guys needing it later in life...the prevailing "wisdom," in years past & even to some still, is that the foreskin needs to be retracted & cleaned under regularly.  I believe this caused issues in boys/men who, had their foreskins been left alone, they wouldn't have then "needed," circ'ing.  As the saying goes, "when intact, don't retract!"  The only one who should is the owner of the penis.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#6 of 8 Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 AM

I don't have the statistic at hand, but in countries that don't routinely circumcise (basically the entire world except USA and Israel), the incidence of medically necessary circumcisions is approximately 1 in 16,000.  I wouldn't cut my baby on the basis of that infrequent a 'necessity'. 

mama24-7 and philomom like this.
#7 of 8 Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorienIslay View Post

I don't have the statistic at hand, but in countries that don't routinely circumcise (basically the entire world except USA and Israel), the incidence of medically necessary circumcisions is approximately 1 in 16,000.  I wouldn't cut my baby on the basis of that infrequent a 'necessity'. 

Exactly! bow.gif
dinahx likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you knew a few people who need to have their breasts removed due to disease would you feel you should remove your daughter's breasts at birth? Of course not. The same is true for foreskin. Yes, a few males have foreskin issues once and  a while but most of them live their whole life without any trouble. Plus, any surgery carries risks of infection, hemorrhage, amputation, etc. Why risk any of that without dire medical need?

As far as circumcision in America, doctor's perform services for fees and their annual salary depends on the amount of services for which they can charge. Most doctors are ignorant of the important functions of the foreskin so they have no problem removing it if the parent asks for it. It's truly sad.

I was an Obstetrical nurse for over 10 years. The circumcision videos are accurate. Circ is painful and unnecessary. Please don't circ your baby.

LorienIslay likes this.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page