Another case where "un" is the default - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A lot of intactivists don't like the term "uncircumcised" because it makes it sound like being circumcised is the default/preferred state (when it's not). Recently I got to thinking about how we call normal gasoline "unleaded" when gas does not contain lead by default (and hasn't in normal cases for several decades). Both are cases where the "un" term has come to refer to the natural/default form - yet in the gas case I don't see the opposition to the term that I see with the circ case.

(For those who don't know the history of gasoline, lead was added to it to reduce wear to a car's engine; it was then found that the lead is released into the air and is poisonous, so starting in the 1970s and over the next decade or two leaded gas was phased out and eventually banned for car use.)

Kelly, a man who is proud to be intact!
#2 of 4 Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good point.

I've seen "regular" or "regular unleaded" more and more frequently, or maybe I'm just imagining it. Just like with anything else, it takes a loooooooooooooong time to change the default mindset of over 300 million people. (Probably part of the reason why the US is still not on the metric system...and I'm not trying to start anything with that one.)

#3 of 4 Old 01-23-2014, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use the word "whole" but that offends some. I guess the truth hurts.
#4 of 4 Old 01-24-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, I like the word "whole" too, and one can see why some take offence, however it is the most accurate description.  I seem to have fallen into the habit of using "intact".

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page