Why do some people find circumcision funny? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was just in the hospital for a hernia repair.  A couple of days prior, I had been on the phone giving the all the information that they required. One of the questions was to list all previous surgeries. I listed each one, with the year, ending with "and last, but not least, I was subjected to a totally unwarranted circumcision as a baby".  There was a giggle on the other end of the line, then silence as she typed it in before asking for my date of birth, presumably to fill in the year the dastardly deed took place.  I should have used the silence to say "if I had ever got my hands on the guy who did it, I would have ended up in jail - on an assault charge - then I'd have a criminal record - see how one really bad decision can snowball?"  But I wasn't thinking fast enough!

I wasn't insulted or anything - I just found it curious because often the topic of circumcision elicits jokes - maybe because people find it uncomfortable to talk about?

What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I don't find circumcision funny at all, but I might have giggled too, because your description is so refreshingly blunt.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I don't have time to give my thoughts, but this video is relevant.  I saw it a few days ago on twitter.  It is neither safe for work nor for children.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Wow that a great way to use that nervous laughter to our advantage . That should be shown in childbirth ed classes, if they could get away with it!

Tags
Circumcision
User Tag List