natural remedies for UTI in intact toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-10-2004, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my Ds has a UTI, he has a red swollen penis that has been slightly read and swollen for a couple weeks. he's also been peeing more often, like every 30 minutes instead of every 2 hours as he used to. HE's been touching his penis more when he ahs to pee.

THe problem lies in the fact that we are delayed vaxers and i am having trouble finding a new Ped after our old one left without warning. I can take him to the ER but frankly it makes me really nervous. AS we are very AP/natural parenting in a very Ezzo area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2004, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you ever had a UTI? It is so so so so so so so so painful. please don't wait. I have gone through natural labor three times no problems but 15 minutes into my last UTI i was asking for an epidural (at first we thought it was labor) It was single handedly the most painful experiance of my life and even if he isn't misreable now it can hit realy fast and hard and spread to the kidneys and do permanant damage if not treated quickly enough.

they would have to cathatrize him to help so I would really recommend finding someone who is intact friendly but at the same time find them fast. And really there is a time and place for antibiotics. they generally do a challenge test to make siure they have the right one. this will delay treatment but if you are realy concerned you can wait for the test to be completed (the culture the bacteria and try severl different antibiotics and go with the one most likely to treat it effectively. I would start on a good guess and then if the challenge came back different switch. Both times she guessed right.)

I know cranberry juice and capsules can help. Also just drinking a lot of anything was helpful to flush stuff out.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:39 PM

If this has been going on for two weeks, you need to get him some medical attention. After this length of time, this is not something that is likely to self cure. From your statement that he is touching himself, it is apparent that he is in at least some discomfort.

It doesn't matter where you get the attention, this is very unlikely to be anything serious as long as you get it taken care of soon. However, if you let it continue unaddressed, it could turn into something serious. Most likely they will give you a broad range antibiotic and that should take care of it. If you don't see noticeable improvement in 24-36 hours, take him back to get a culture to identify the specific problem so that it can be treated appropriately.

When you get there, warn anyone approaching your son that there is to be absolutely no retraction of his foreskin for any reason. If they give you any lip service, ask to see another provider. There is absolutely nothing for them to see inside your son's foreskin. It's the equivalent of peeling back fingernails to see what's under them.

Demand that anyone touching your son has washed their hands in your presence and if they leave the room even for a moment, that they wash their hands before touching your son. Unless told otherwise, continue to administer any medication until the perscription is completely used up to avoid drug resistant strains from developing.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

Frank
Old 05-10-2004, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

well i'm afraid I wasn't exactly specific enough he hasn't been touching himself for 2 week, he's been maybe somewhat red and a little swollen or just more sepreated ( i thought it was jsut his foreskin seperating) and he's been peeing more often for two weeks. he's been touching himself for 18 hours, The first time he did it was at his bedtime pee and i honestly jsut thought he was just touching himself. Since there isn't anything sure fire we will brave the ER this evening when dh gets home from work for sure.

can i in the meantime give him tylenol for the pain?

I jsut wanted to thank everyone for there quick responses..at least i know now that taking him to the hospital is not me being an alarmist.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:42 PM

definitely give him something for the pain if he is pain.

Also have you considered that it might be yeast. All of my pain with a UTI was internal but then so are all of the effected parts. Sorry not much help.

Definitely go in with your mama bear mode turned on and stand gaurd over his forskin. Don't le anyone retract it and don't be shy about screaming it if you have to.

god luck. ihope he is feeling better soon.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:25 PM

Tylenol will be fine if you feel he needs it. Good luck!

Frank
Old 05-10-2004, 10:45 PM

just want to say that I have had UTIs that hurt like he!! as lilyka says but when my ds has had them (several when he was younger, and confirmed by urine cultures) he had only a little discomfort, if your ds is only touching rather than shrieking in agony then he may be like my ds, just a bit sore, but it doesn't mean there isn't something underlying that needs attention

hope he's OK soon
Old 05-11-2004, 12:47 AM

With my first one I just peed like a lunatic for a week and a half befor the seering pain started. Had I had half a brain to have it checked out it never would have gotten so bad. (instead I was posting here about my embarassing incontence problem and everyone was saying go now, don't wait, but I decided to wait and regretted it. :LOL) My second one came out of nowhere and blindsided me and went streight to my kidneys. yeeouch! But yeah caught soon enough they arent' all that painful. That is why I htink you shouldn't wait.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:15 AM

I had two about 20 years ago. I had a very full feeling even right after peeing and a little burning during. It seemed like i had to go every 20 minutes and then would only dribble dribble. I was lucky that I saw that it was cloudy and figured there was something going on the first time and was in the doctor's office by the third day after I noticed symptoms. The second time about two years later, I knew exactly what it was and phoned the doctor, described the symptoms and that they were exactly like the first episode and tried to get him to phone a prescription in. However, he had a Mercedes payment due and I had to do a fly by so he could collect his fee.

Frank
Old 05-11-2004, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well he is a bit better today. his penis is less inflamed, he is going a little longer between pees, and he isn't grabbing today. but we still wrnt jsut to make sure. WE walked into the ER and withen 15 minutes three gurneys were rushed in. We sat there for several hours but never got addimtted and finally had to leave when dh had to go to work sincei dont' frive and had absolulty no way to get home after he left. SO we will try agian in the am. even though he seems to be mostly better...i want to make sure. thank you all for your help and advice
Old 05-11-2004, 11:54 PM

Frank,

You're not intact, are you? So much for the circumcision prevents UTI theory!
Old 05-12-2004, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by house elf
Frank,

You're not intact, are you? So much for the circumcision prevents UTI theory!
Well, yes and no. I am restored so I have a fauxskin foreskin but when that happened, I hadn't discovered restoration so I was fully and completely circumcised. I was circumcised to the point that I was cut too short and didn't have enough remaining skin. If circumcision had anything to do with UTIs, you could have injected me every day with massive loads of the bacteria and I still wouldn't have gotten an infection. But alas, circumcision has little to nothing to do with UTIs and I did get them. I got them well past the susceptible age. I was in my early thirties. That's why I roll my eyes every time I hear someone say they want to circumcise their son to avoid UTIs. I also know that usually UTIs are not a serious issue unless you ignore them because I had two and I know exactly what they feel like. I can guarantee you I suffered 20 times more from getting my circumcision than I did with the two UTIs. Circumcising a baby to avoid a UTI is stupid on steroids!

Frank

User Tag List