A totally honest question I'm wondering - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A totally honest question I'm wondering

I have the feeling that a lot of people that chose to mutilate their babies go about a diaper change with minimal cleaning around the glans, if they clean that area at all.

Do they really check for adhesions, infection, etc...or do they just do a quick "well, it looks clean, gotta move on from that" and move on to other parts of the body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I was told if I had him circ-ed that we were supposed to actually clean all of it "because poo could get in there and it would get infected" but Im not sure if that was just the one doctor or if it's the norm.

- - - -
Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't answer your question, but I do have a story: Very recently I visited my almost 93 year old aunt who is still very sharp and has fascinating stories of her earlier life. Her mother got sick and died when the kids were 5,4 and 2. With no relatives around, my aunt being the eldest was charged with caring for the other two. She stated that when her brother (the youngest) was circumcised, she had to pull the skin back and found that it was much easier if she wrapped a wash cloth soaked in warm water around his penis. I asked her why he had been circumcised. She said she had no idea. She went on to be a nurse all her working life.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
If that's the reason people mutilate their babies, they are misinformed about how to care for an intact boy. You just wipe off the exterior of the foreskin and move along! It's when the baby has AN OPEN WOUND SOAKING IN EXCREMENT that the hygiene is more complicated!!

That said, my impression is that parents of mutilated boys generally follow doctors' instructions about applying petroleum jelly to the wound until it is healed, but after that they barely clean the penis at all unless it has visible poop on it. Many parents I've seen changing diapers, for babies of either sex, don't even use a wipe if it's a wet diaper, and if it's a dirty diaper they wipe off the anal area and buttocks but ignore the genitals unless they can see poop there. Seems disgusting to me--if I had wet my pants, I would rinse the whole area, so that's what I do for my baby, with plain water on a washcloth.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 09-04-2014, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Do you mean immediately after the surgery or permanently? I'd hope that right after surgery they'd be vigilant- their kid just had surgery! After it's healed, I imagine they wouldn't feel the need to watch it too closely. After awhile you know your child well enough to notice anything out of the ordinary with rather minimal checking anyways.

"Seems disgusting to me--if I had wet my pants, I would rinse the whole area, so that's what I do for my baby, with plain water on a washcloth. "

I don't clean after wet diapers because the diapers seem to do a good enough job of soaking it all up. If kiddo was still wet, that'd be one thing, but kiddo is dry enough that I can take a wet diaper off and have no problem with him immediately sitting butt-naked on my lap. He doesn't smell of urine and shows no sign of having any traces of it on him. And kiddo's a very heavy wetter (when it gets to the point of leaking- then we DO wipe it up because he's gotten himself urine-soaked). I don't see the point of being more invasive than I need to be. Water on a washcloth would probably get kiddo damper than the diaper. We've never had issues with diaper rash or upset. Wetting your pants isn't the same as wetting a diaper. Pants aren't designed to wick moisture away from the skin the way diapers are meant to.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm not sure what you are asking, but since circumcision is perpetuated by the myth that "it's cleaner," it would make sense that parents who did it for that reason wouldn't feel the need to clean a circumcised penis.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Old 09-05-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sometimes circumcision is taken too lightly. Careful cleaning is sufficient to avoid problems. My son (now 20 years) had this problem as a child we treated with an ointment for elasticity of prepuce.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son (now 20 years) had this problem as a child we treated with an ointment for elasticity of prepuce.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pufferbacco View Post
sometimes circumcision is taken too lightly. Careful cleaning is sufficient to avoid problems. My son (now 20 years) had this problem as a child we treated with an ointment for elasticity of prepuce.
Could you be a bit more specific about your son's problem? Or was it that the doctor THOUGHT he had a problem? The reason I ask is that in North American medical circles there has been (and sometimes still is) this pervasive notion that all intact boys must have their foreskins pulled back and the glans rigorously cleaned. The fact is that a boys foreskin often does not become retractable until around puberty. The average age is 10 1/2. This is assuming that no one has been forcing it back. The preputial cavity is self cleaning - it is flushed out by urine every time he pees. Using soap destroys the natural flora and causes infections, smells and irritation. It is really no different than little girl parts.

User Tag List