• 1 Post By sierramtngirl
  • 1 Post By msspriss
  • 1 Post By Mitchell756
  • 1 Post By mama24-7

#1 of 13 Old 01-09-2015, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
It was only a matter of time for this study to be done ...

Circumcision -> Autism?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1739905/cir...study-reveals/
hakunangovi likes this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-10-2015, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I have long believed that the trauma of infant circumcision has profound psychological ramifications. More so when no pain relief is administered, which until recently included all of them. The fact that most doctors refuse to acknowledge this aspect of the custom but cling to the old belief that "infants do not feel pain" flies in the face of logic. It is the highest form of denial.
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 13 Old 01-10-2015, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

I am not in favor of circumcision, but what about little girls who get autism?

I have long felt that the trauma of circumcision leaves its mark in many ways on our little boys. This study may show WHY more boys than girls are diagnosed with this neurological disorder. This study may show that circumcision is but one cause of autism.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

#4 of 13 Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Studies like this aren't saying "THIS CAUSED THIS OMFG". Even the title just says 'greater risk', not that it's the One True Cause of autism. If you read it, it's pretty clear that circumcision isn't the issue so much as the pain and trauma circumcision causes. Circumcision is hardly the only traumatic, painful event an infant or toddler can go through (sadly), and arguably if we could make a truly painless circumcision method it'd mean no trauma and negate the increased risk of autism. (I don't think we could, but that's not the point)

Two proud daddies and our little monster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
#5 of 13 Old 01-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
This doesn't surprise me, in that stress= greater risk of ASDs/ADHD. There are many studies that suggests that women who experience highly stressful events in pregnancy have children who have increased risk of developing adhd/ASDs.
applejuice likes this.
#6 of 13 Old 01-28-2015, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I am not in favor of circumcision, but what about little girls who get autism?

I have long felt that the trauma of circumcision leaves its mark in many ways on our little boys. This study may show WHY more boys than girls are diagnosed with this neurological disorder. This study may show that circumcision is but one cause of autism.
I have heard that autism is twice as likely in boys as girls. I find this perhaps may also be relevant with the possible link between autism and acetaminophen use, as it is a pain releiver commonly given to boys for circumcision. I wish I had time to research further, but I'm working so I kind of have to R&R.

Autism is very complex, there are many things that can be linked to it but not one specific cause, AFAIK. I think it may be a dreadful combination of many different factors that impact some people but wouldn't bother others (due to genetic differences) so it is very difficult to find what actually causes it. When they can see links like this though, it definitely means it is something that should be discontinued.
applejuice likes this.
#7 of 13 Old 01-29-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I suppose one way to verify a possible link would be to see if there are a disproportionate number of boys with autism who had been circumcised. Something similar to the random observation that circumcised boys were much more likely to be unable to perform the cobra pose in yoga. Although I do agree that there are many other factors.
#8 of 13 Old 03-07-2015, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The results of this study clearly demonstrate that there is a direct correlation between the prevalence of infant circumcision and increased rates of autism. There is no question that such a traumatic event committed against a newborn brain at the very beginning of its development is going to have many deleterious effects on an individual throughout their entire lives.

I suspect that this is only beginning of many more studies to come which show the true impact of this practice on individuals and the world. Perhaps now the evidence will finally become strong enough to bring this practice to an end.
applejuice likes this.
#9 of 13 Old 03-07-2015, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

In 1970 when I was in college in my psych 101 course, I recall my professor Dr. Steven Saltzman stating that there are genetic causes of autism, and ONE ethnic group that is especially linked to autism are the Jewish people.

Interesting!

#10 of 13 Old 03-19-2015, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Mitchell756 wrote:
Quote:
The results of this study clearly demonstrate that there is a direct correlation between the prevalence of infant circumcision and increased rates of autism. There is no question that such a traumatic event committed against a newborn brain at the very beginning of its development is going to have many deleterious effects on an individual throughout their entire lives.
Applejuice wrote:
Quote:
In 1970 when I was in college in my psych 101 course, I recall my professor Dr. Steven Saltzman stating that there are genetic causes of autism, and ONE ethnic group that is especially linked to autism are the Jewish people.
Correlation is not the same thing as causation. I am opposed to circumcision, and the study linked in the OP looks like it was well done, but that still doesn't mean autism is caused by circumcision rather than another factor that is more common in circumcised boys.

Regarding the correlation with Jewish ethnicity: Yiddish (European and American Jewish) culture favors a type of intellectualism that obsesses over details and numbers, and is tolerant of "neurotic" behavior. So one possibility is that people with mild ASD are more accepted and thus more likely to reproduce in the Yiddish community than others. In my neighborhood, there is a teenaged Hasidic Jew whom I believe must have ASD, and it's interesting to me how his gestures and expressions that make me think this look like exaggerated versions of the mannerisms of Hasidim when praying or studying: swaying, barely-audible chanting, certain fidgety gestures. Just speculation on another possible reason for increased prevalence.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid
12 years old and a girl EnviroKid
3 years old!
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#11 of 13 Old 03-19-2015, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Correlation is not the same thing as causation.
That does not mean that co-relationship and causation should be ruled out completely either.

Quote:
exaggerated versions of the mannerisms of Hasidim when praying or studying: swaying, barely-audible chanting, certain fidgety gestures.
Otherwise known as davening or shuckling.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/davening -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_prayer -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuckling

Different congregations and communities have their own interpretations, and some are more enthusiastic in their praying than others, and to the outside world, may seem odd, but it has a historic purpose.

Last edited by applejuice; 03-19-2015 at 01:30 PM.
#12 of 13 Old 03-20-2015, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Oh, I'm aware that there are historic reasons and also spiritual reasons for praying that way! I didn't mean to say that those behaviors are evidence that a lot of Jews are a little bit autistic or something like that. I meant it the other way around: Because they are accustomed to seeing these behaviors, a person who routinely finds comfort in doing them is less likely to be seen as weird, thus more likely to be able to marry and have children, thus more likely to pass on genes for autism, compared to a person in a different ethnic context who exhibits the same behaviors.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid
12 years old and a girl EnviroKid
3 years old!
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#13 of 13 Old 03-27-2015, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
I don't think any gene/genes have been identified as causing autism which would bring us back to the study which says that there may be a link between forced prepuce amputation and autism. I'm remaining open to any/all possibilities in what actually DOES result in autism. Until we know what causes it, we can not know what doesn't cause it.

Sus
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page