It was only a matter of time for this study to be done ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

Old 01-09-2015, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
It was only a matter of time for this study to be done ...

Circumcision -> Autism?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1739905/cir...study-reveals/

“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.”
― Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2015, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have long believed that the trauma of infant circumcision has profound psychological ramifications. More so when no pain relief is administered, which until recently included all of them. The fact that most doctors refuse to acknowledge this aspect of the custom but cling to the old belief that "infants do not feel pain" flies in the face of logic. It is the highest form of denial.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am not in favor of circumcision, but what about little girls who get autism?

I have long felt that the trauma of circumcision leaves its mark in many ways on our little boys. This study may show WHY more boys than girls are diagnosed with this neurological disorder. This study may show that circumcision is but one cause of autism.

“Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.”
― Plato
Old 01-10-2015, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Studies like this aren't saying "THIS CAUSED THIS OMFG". Even the title just says 'greater risk', not that it's the One True Cause of autism. If you read it, it's pretty clear that circumcision isn't the issue so much as the pain and trauma circumcision causes. Circumcision is hardly the only traumatic, painful event an infant or toddler can go through (sadly), and arguably if we could make a truly painless circumcision method it'd mean no trauma and negate the increased risk of autism. (I don't think we could, but that's not the point)

this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen
Old 01-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
This doesn't surprise me, in that stress= greater risk of ASDs/ADHD. There are many studies that suggests that women who experience highly stressful events in pregnancy have children who have increased risk of developing adhd/ASDs.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I am not in favor of circumcision, but what about little girls who get autism?

I have long felt that the trauma of circumcision leaves its mark in many ways on our little boys. This study may show WHY more boys than girls are diagnosed with this neurological disorder. This study may show that circumcision is but one cause of autism.
I have heard that autism is twice as likely in boys as girls. I find this perhaps may also be relevant with the possible link between autism and acetaminophen use, as it is a pain releiver commonly given to boys for circumcision. I wish I had time to research further, but I'm working so I kind of have to R&R.

Autism is very complex, there are many things that can be linked to it but not one specific cause, AFAIK. I think it may be a dreadful combination of many different factors that impact some people but wouldn't bother others (due to genetic differences) so it is very difficult to find what actually causes it. When they can see links like this though, it definitely means it is something that should be discontinued.
Old Today, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I suppose one way to verify a possible link would be to see if there are a disproportionate number of boys with autism who had been circumcised. Something similar to the random observation that circumcised boys were much more likely to be unable to perform the cobra pose in yoga. Although I do agree that there are many other factors.

User Tag List