Penis pain - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 10-18-2015, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Penis pain

My four year old is intact and he started complaining the night before about pain. I looked and it seems like the head of the penis looks swollen under the foreskin. He's urinating fine and not seeming to be in a lot of pain but he does complain some. I tried to look up what it could be online and I can't tell if it's an infection or something called ballooning. I don't have anyone to ask that I know is intact or has had a child who is intact. We are in our way home from a long beach trip and I planned to call or pediatrician but thought I would post here also. It's not really red and it doesn't have any other signs of infection it just seems like the head of the penis is swollen under the skin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-18-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
If there is no discharge accompanied by a foul odour, it is unlikely to be an infection. Ballooning is a totally normal phenomenon, and occurs when the inner foreskin has detached from the glans while the sphincter at the tip is still fairly tight. There is an excellent blog on that at DrMomma. What is most likely happening is that the synnechia are breaking down and he is experiencing a bit of separation trauma where his inner foreskin is detaching from the glans and leaving raw spots which sting a bit - especially when he pees. This is a temporary thing and should not last more that a couple of days. Of course it may well recur at a later date until it is fully detached.

Check out www.cirp.org/library/normal .
#3 of 3 Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Maybe give him a few good long soaks in a baking soda bath. I wonder if he's managed to get some sand where it shouldn't be after the beach.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page