4 year old with UTI!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has a uti. E. Coli was found. We are seeing a new doctor who didn't know he was intact. Guess I forgot to yell it out when we walked in

She told me that the reason he got it was because he was intact. She said one more infection and we'd need to circumcise. I said no. I think it shocked her.

I was kind of surprised when she went to look at his penis and didn't put any gloves on or anything. She told me to retract him once and week and clean it! I always read not to do that.

I am looking for any links to info on uti's and reasons not to circumcise. I am looking for a intact friendly doctor. Not sure if that's going to happen so I need to be prepared with info! Meanwhile, what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?
#2 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 06:16 PM

Well, what treatment would they give for a little girl with a UTI? Would they mutilate her to fix that? Grrr...I can't believe these people call themselves medical "professionals".

Give him some cranberry juice....no bubble baths....and don't retract.
#3 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 06:32 PM

Off the top of my head i would reduce sugar intake,give some acidopholous(the childrens chewable kind and keep this as a daily supplement),drink lots of water,Avoid citrus and acidic foods(irritating to the urinary tract),3 glasses of pure cranberry juice daily or cranberry capsules,Homeopathic Cantharsis one dose 12x three to four times a day for three days.

At any sign of a UTI give the homeopathic Cantharsis and keep the acidopholous as a daily supplement.No bubble baths,add a drop of tea tree or lavender for antibacterial purposes.Talk to him about touching himself and keeping his hands clean.If he touches himself frequently and if his hands were dirty that could cause the infection as well.Pull back whatever pulls back easily and hold in under running,warm water in the tub.This helps keep it clean and flush.

Tripke's son just had this,talk to her.I hope he feels better soon.
#4 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 06:47 PM

Quote:
She said one more infection and we'd need to circumcise.

Can you just imagine if she had said that to the mother of a little girl??? Holy crap!
#5 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 08:01 PM

I would look into were he is picking up e. coli. Tub? Pool?

E. coli is in human feces. So it might be wise to limit pool time (esspiecially public pools). If he has a little play pool in the back yard empty and clean it often (Maybe actually with bleach and then let is sun dry).

Switch to showering for a while.

Could there be a pet connection?

I would go back to that lady and ask what she would cut off if it was your daughter.
#6 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 08:19 PM

Wait a minute.. don't circumcised boys get UTI's? What do they do then, cut penis off?
#7 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 09:10 PM

I'd just *have* to ask her what SHE had cut off after her second UTI :LOL I agree with the recommendations above, he AND his foreskin will be just fine in no time
~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#8 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpernickle
My son has a uti. E. Coli was found. We are seeing a new doctor who didn't know he was intact. Guess I forgot to yell it out when we walked in

She told me that the reason he got it was because he was intact.
Oh yeah? Then why did I get two and I'm circumcised? Must be that nasty foreskin remnant! What a crock! This woman should have her license to practice pulled for gross negligence.

Quote:
She said one more infection and we'd need to circumcise. I said no. I think it shocked her.
What?????? You would dare question a doctor????!!!!! I think she should be circumcised. (Just below the chin) This woman should be reported to the medical board and the hospital where she works.

Quote:
I was kind of surprised when she went to look at his penis and didn't put any gloves on or anything.
Gross negligence! That's how staph infections spread around. Was this woman practicing around the turn of the century? (the 19th century?) Gloves are cheap insurance. they only cost about a quarter a pair. Did she even wash her hands? This is when you should have walked out.

Quote:
She told me to retract him once and week and clean it! I always read not to do that.
What you read is correct. Why isn't it that she could read this? Retracting and cleaning weekly will insure her additional business. . . . A necessary circumcision from all of that retracting and cleaning.

Quote:
I am looking for any links to info on uti's and reasons not to circumcise. I am looking for a intact friendly doctor.
I would forget about the first part and concentrate on the second part. It is not your job to be a doctor. Your job is to be a parent and it appears that you are being an excellent one. Even if you can't find a real intact friendly doctor, I think anybody you find would be better than this quack. Hopefully, this idiot was intelligent enough to give you a prescription for the UTI. that's all it takes. I know, I've had two myself and the prescription worked just like I expected. No surgery was needed.

Quote:
Not sure if that's going to happen so I need to be prepared with info! Meanwhile, what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?
You need to make it happen There is no area so remote and no community so backward that there isn't someone better than this person. You shouldn't have to fight with an idiot to get care for your son. If you did get the prescription for your son, he will be better with in 2-3 days. Give him every single pill as prescribed. Just because the symptoms have disappeared doesn't mean that the infection is completely obliterated. That's why you should use up the entire prescription. If you didn't get a prescription, you should see another doctor and get the appropriate medication.

Believe it or not, we had one Mom here whose son had a staph and strep infection and the doctor said that he may have to be circumcised. Believe it or not, the doctor gave her a prescription for a medication that would do absolutely nothing for the infection. It's the nature of a staph infection to appear to be cured and then come back. It's the same infection and it's symptoms just come and go appearing to be recurrent infections. This doctor was setting this child up for a circumcision! Unethical *bleep!*

Please let us know what happens!

Frank
#9 of 20 Old 08-02-2004, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I should add that he also has an ear infection, throat infection, and croup. He has never been so sick. He is on omnicef.

He has not been in any public pools and we don't have one. He is in so much pain

He has been complaining of it itching? His bottom has also been itching. My head is spinning trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with my boy!
#10 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 12:00 AM

I wonder if he has a yeast infection from the antibiotics....
#11 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 12:05 AM

If he's not wiping well after using the bathroom, maybe that is causing it? That is what happened recently to my 4 yo dd- no one recommended she be circumcised- they just gave us antibiotics and sent us on our way. (BTW, I've had at least 5-6 UTIs and never once did they recommend circ to me- ask the doc how she would handle a UTI in a girl and tell her you want that treatment for your ds.)

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#12 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 12:49 AM

I've just went through one hell of a yeast infection. I would've had much LESS pain had I had my labia and clitoral hood amputated! Not even one suggestion to do that.

Put your little guy in a baking soda bath for a good 20-30 minutes tonight. Let him air dry. If he is retractable maybe pull back slightly to rinse any yeast residue away and allow him to air dry. I LOVED a baking soda bath during the healing process. The antibiotics can make it worse. Give him a ton of yogurt and acidophilus.

My dh had the yeasties with me. I gave it to him. His CIRC'D penis looked like raw meat. It was very painful for him. Funny no one mentioned that he needed to be castrated to get relief. Unfortunately we both had to take 2 Diflucan pills after about 5 days of hell. I couldn't take it anymore. My genitalia looked like wax lips from a gumball machine you'd find at a car wash!

My niece had a yeast infection so bad her bottom was bleeding. They finally gave her a dose of oral Diflucan and it was gone. I would use that as a last resort.

If it is yeast AND you would consent to a circ, the healing could be compromised because the yeast would still be present. The same would go for a staph infection. Get a culture ASAP. And find a new doc!

If push comes to shove I'll help get you here to see Fleiss!

Try the baking soda bath and get back to us.
#13 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 12:53 AM

I forgot one more thing that helped with the itching and burning.

I made a baking soda paste with water and baking soda. It was very runny. I just poured it over and kind of manipulated it around my area. That was the only thing that would take the itch away so I could get some sleep.

Both dh and I would have to take a cool shower or bath at some point during the night to get any relief.

It was the worst infection of my life.
#14 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 01:07 AM

Pumpernickle:

I did some very quick research on Omnicef. It is recommended for ear, nose, throat, bronchial and other similar infections. I saw no recommendations for use for UTIs however, it is a broad range antibiotic so it will probably work. You may want to do a little more research to see if you can find a recommendation for UTIs. If not, you may want to request a different med for the UTI. For children under 13 years old, the liquid form is recommended. One of the side effects is itching so we now know why your son is complaining of the itching. If it is really bad, you may want to request another 'script that does not have this side effect.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.centerwatch.com/cgi-bin/c...gs/dru353.html

http://www.tjsfasthealth.com/drug_en...ation=h_cmh_ar

Frank
#15 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 01:42 AM

Just an little factoid for you- in the AAP statement the UTI data they discuss... ALL of it refers to infants under a year of age. Apparently any difference in UTIs reported in the studies balances by the time the children are over a year (perhaps because the preemies who confounded the intact numbers have been circumcised by their first year) So, ifyou do have to face off with this physician, or if you want to include this in your letter to the State Medical Board... your son is FOUR- and as such- his circumcision status is uncontestably irrelevant to the cause or treatment of his UTI.
#16 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 09:25 AM

Sarah:

I think it may be because premies are known to be more susceptible to UTIs and are not typically not circumcised early on because of their delicate condition. I know of no research that has taken this propensity for UTIs into consideration except the Wiswell study. He did it purely to deceive in an attempt to build a case for circumcision. All of his intact research subjects were premies and all of his circumcised subjects were full term. In all of the other studies I am aware of, they made no distinction between full term and premies and in all of those studies, the difference was 1% or less. I suspect this difference would pretty accurately represent the difference in the UTI rate between premies and full term babies with the same circumcision status thus wiping out any difference between intact and circumcised babies UTI rates.

Frank
#17 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 11:50 AM

hello,

I'm a nursing student (with an intact 5 yr old son! ) and I just wanted to add a little to the discussion:

First, handwashing is the #1 method of preventing infections. Whatever our hands touch is a possible transmission of bacteria. If your little boy doesn't wash his hands after using the bathroom, he's carrying E. coli with him. Then let's say he picks up a snack and fingers go in the mouth. Now the bacteria are in his mouth, throat, nasal cavities, which leads to the lungs and digestive tracts respectively. Then let's say he's like my little boy and likes to "explore" his body. If his hands aren't clean then he could be exposing his urethra to E. coli.

Secondly, if his anus is itchy then you should consider the possibility of pinworms. Very common in this age group. Also, if he's itching his bottom he's probably not washing his hands right after (because you won't necessarily see everytime he itches) and then we go back to the above paragraph.

Foreskin has nothin' to do with it.

Encourage handwashing, get some good quality yogurt to feed him after the round of antibiotics are through. Look into the possibility of pinworms, because this may have been where the trouble began. Cranberry juice and copius amounts of water to encourage quantity urination to flush the urinary tract. No soda or anything with caffeine (including chocolate) because caffeine irritates the urinary tract and will make it worse.

Baths should be limited and when you give him a bath, put a little (like 1 cup) of vinegar in the water (big bathtub). The urinary tract prefers an acid environment and that little bit of vinegar helps prevent infection (bath bubbles and other soaps are highly alkaline and reduce the bladder's ability to control pathogenic bacteria).

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Sandi
#18 of 20 Old 08-03-2004, 01:43 PM

((((pumpy)))) i'm sorry he is so sick!

i used to get frequent utis, & i take cranberry capsules now that keep it at bay, but the unsweetened juice is supposed to work better than sweetened, for utis since capsules would be difficult (they sell it at health food stores in concentrate.) maybe you could sweeten with splenda or something to make it drinkable? bilberry, elderberry, lingonberry, all those viburnum-y berries will also work, & wouldn't need sweetening (but may be hard to find.) i've found bilberry at wild oats.

ps my cranberry advice came from a family of highly regarded urologists in socal, so it's 'official'.

pps pm me with your addy if you want some kefir grains; it's nothing like the pita yogurt is to make, & taking probiotics is so important if you are gonna take antibiotics (you know i lose everything, & i need to send lori some jam anyway- shhhhh!)

suse
#19 of 20 Old 09-30-2004, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colaga
Wait a minute.. don't circumcised boys get UTI's? What do they do then, cut penis off?
I'm researching this now because my circ'd 4.5 yr old does have a painful yeast infection now.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#20 of 20 Old 09-30-2004, 10:44 PM

Try some diluted grapefruit seed extract sprayed on the area,and get some probiotics into him.Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page