Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   The Case Against Circumcision (http://www.mothering.com/forum/44-case-against-circumcision/)
-   -   What does your intactivism look like? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/44-case-against-circumcision/190337-what-does-your-intactivism-look-like.html)

Dragonfly 09-04-2004 01:12 PM

Beyond the computer, I mean.

For example, I was looking at those great cards in the Cafeshop that Jen posted and thinking that I'd really like to have those, but not sure how I'd use them (beyond sending them to the maybe one or two women I know who get pregnant).

It's not in my nature to be particularly bold with strangers, but I'd like to get that way for this cause. What do you do in the outside world?

Tinijocaro 09-04-2004 05:51 PM

I have personal checks with "Say No to Circumcision" and www.cirp.org on them. I always circle it.

I have business cards that I leave everywhere and anywhere- in magazines at the grocery store, at doctor's offices, in women's bathrooms, on windshields...just about anywhere.

I have a folder packed with information to give out to poeple who seem willing to learn more, I also have the Fleiss articles printed to give as an introduction to the topic.

I speak often to women I don't know if they are pregnant, at the playground, library, pool- anywhere. I have helped at least 10 women that I know of for sure to leave their sons intact.Indirectly, through these women, who know how many others have learned about it? I have had many more failures, though.

I'm sending a letter to my peds office concerning proper care of the intact penis, and I've offered to speak to any patients who are thinking of not circumcising- I have two intact sons (9 and 5).

That's all I can think of now.

ETA-One more- my email for all my yahoogroups- mostly fiddle/violin/music related is "nocirc90" so I've had a few questions about that and one older gentleman told me he and his wife wouldn't have circ'd had they had sons. They ended up with two daughters.

Kylix 09-04-2004 06:01 PM

Right now as someone with no kids, when I'm not online, my intactivism doesn't really show. But I frequent sites and just put my opinion out there on the issue and leave it at that. I know my opinion may not be appreciated because of the simple fact that I've never given birth but I still feel like I can have it out there then that is just one more push to leaving boys intact.

IRL, I've only talked to close friends about it. And I have been almost unapologetic about wanting to leave my future sons intact. The only people I've treaded lightly with are the males that are circumcised themselves. I don't want them to feel bad about something that they can't change about themselves. But, I also want to prevent it from happening to their sons.

I'm an intactivist in the making though. LOL

Kylix

apmommy76 09-04-2004 06:44 PM

As I said in another message...

--I use a "Circumcision is Ending in America" stamp on everything I send out.
--I leave anti-circ cards anywhere moms might go...
--I wear an anti-circ t-shirt to playdates and other places..
--I offer parents on the mommy boards a free circumcision awareness packet and send them to anyone in the US upon request..
--I run a bookstore chat every couple of months for pregnant moms to talk to moms of intact sons and to obtain anti-circ literature...
--I talk to family members and friends who are pregnant about circumcision...

Every little bit counts!!!!

nikirj 09-04-2004 06:56 PM

Wow, you guys do a lot.

I basically just talk to family and friends. Make sure they know that I've got resources if they've got questions, and let them know what I think.

A&A 09-04-2004 07:37 PM

Jackie, where can I get checks like that?

And Jan, where can I get a stamp like that?

My little guy has an outfit that reads, "Intact and Lovin' It!" (available at www.granolathreads.com)

Also my license plate frame reads, "Leave Your Son Intact: Say No To Circumcision."

Of course I also give info to friends and family.

Tinijocaro 09-04-2004 11:52 PM

I got my checks online at Designer Checks, just a regular check company who offered a free line of text. I wish the print was a bit bigger, but that's why I always circle it. I'm just getting out of my baby years, youngest will be three in December, and I always felt this was something I could do without having to do very much- I have to write checks out anyways. I look at it as planting seeds, plant them everywhere, and there will be fewer people who say "Gee, I've never thought to question it."

Elowyn 09-05-2004 12:14 AM

Well, I have a bumper sticker. Not much, but it's a start. I just put it on the car today, so we'll see what (if any) response I get. It reads: "You Wouldn't Circumcise your Daughter, Don't Circumcise your Son" I also have "Human Milk for Human Babies" and "Everything I Need to Know I Learned at Mothering.com" I'd love an intactivist T-shirt - anyone have a link?

Quirky 09-05-2004 12:38 AM

Dragonfly, can you re-post the link to the cafepress site? Also, for those of you who do business cards, what do you put on them? I'm thinking about starting to stalk our local bookstores and planting them in books.

Tinijocaro 09-05-2004 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elowyn
Well, I have a bumper sticker. Not much, but it's a start. I just put it on the car today, so we'll see what (if any) response I get. It reads: "You Wouldn't Circumcise your Daughter, Don't Circumcise your Son" I also have "Human Milk for Human Babies" and "Everything I Need to Know I Learned at Mothering.com" I'd love an intactivist T-shirt - anyone have a link?
Don't underestimate the power of that bumper sticker. Just think of the hundreds or thousands of people who could potentially see that EVERY DAY. That's incredible, think of all the seeds you will have planted each day without actually having to DO anything. I'd love to hear about any comments you get- I'm too chicken to put a bumper sticker on my car, not sure if dh would like it either, he teaches at the high school here in town.

Oh- I also leave my business cards around the high school when I'm there visiting, in the girls bathroom, sometimes in the boys bathroom.

When we have a sitter here at the house, I leave cards lying around the house and leave my folder full of circ information open on a table, available for her reading pleasure.

Tinijocaro 09-05-2004 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky
Dragonfly, can you re-post the link to the cafepress site? Also, for those of you who do business cards, what do you put on them? I'm thinking about starting to stalk our local bookstores and planting them in books.
Mine says: Say No to Circumcision www.cirp.org

It isn't recommended by any medical organization in the world. Research before you agree to this harmful procedure. I also gave my yahoo email address that has nocirc in it, and an web address to a circ debate and said "See what the debate is all about at www......"

Not perfect, but gets some critical tidbits of info out there.

pdx.mothernurture 09-05-2004 01:22 AM

Here's the cafepress shop link again: http://www.cafeshops.com/noric

I bought the button, which I keep on my diaperbag.

I also printed out literature from this site: http://www.whack-a-mohel.com/

I keep several copies of the Mothering article in the car. I also think the graphicness of the Men's Health article can be useful in certain situations. I also went to Kinkos and printed up the cards (both types, the "What's wrong with circumcision?" cared with the screaming baby on the other side on light blue heavy paper, and the "Lucky stiff!" one with the restoration info on the back on bright orange heavy paper.)

I share information with anyone who's willing to listen. I use the cards I printed out to leaflet used pregnancy books at GoodWill and other stores. I even thought about sticking them on cars in the WIC parking lot, or in the parking lots of OB offices.

Another thing I'm planning on doing is going to the dollar store and buing some gift-bags to fill with Quinn's used, nice-condition baby clothes, and including some pro-intact literature (or even the card from the cafepress shop), and then giving them away to women I know who are expecting boys, or donating them to a local pregnancy resource center.

Jen

A&A 09-05-2004 01:00 PM

I also donated a copy of What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Circumcision to the local library

Also I give money to www.nocirc.org and www.noharmm.org