Wanna read something that'll make ya mad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a cousin who is a med resident, just for the sake of making an informed descision about circ (this is when I first started reseaching the topic) I asked for her take on circ. Now, many months later here is her blog response...

hum I guess I'm not allowed to do a direct quote of her response....basically she said that: 1) newborn nervous systems are immature and that anestesia during circ was used to humor Moms more than to save babies pain 2) circing makes it easier to catherize male patients "old geezers" in old age or during med emergencies 3) and that proper uncirc penis care involves daily retraction and cleansing of the foreskin

All together it was much more horrible than that. I hugged my daughter all night long because I was so shocked and horrified by the possibility that someday she might get sick and encounter this sort of MED-Rapist. I wish I could share the link because I feel that such wrong information needs to be corrected but I feel like that would be too much of an invasion of her privacy especially since her blog seeems to be hidden from google.

I'm not really sure how to proceed, I've responded to her directly and more or less politely with my viewpoint but I fear the she has sunk too far into that culture of Dr. arrogance to be receptive to such input. My dh thinks that she is just so stressed and overwhelmed by the whole med resdent experience that she really doesn't have time to be "human" or assimilate what she's been taught. I can understand that but I can't get over the image of her torturing those poor baby boys and telling their mother's that it is for their own good.
#2 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 07:01 PM

:

Well - that just confirms my belief that there are a lot of idiot doctors out there.

That is freaking scary. There is so much misinformation in that piece, one wouldn't even know where to begin to rebut it...

How can a medical resident be so completely and utterly uninformed?

Did you say anything to her about her blog entry?!
#3 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 07:07 PM

Confirms my opinion that doctors perform some medical procedures because it's "easier" for them. Holy cats, doesn't this intern realise she is in a unique situation where she sees pathology and worst case scenarios daily. Real life isn't like that!
#4 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 07:19 PM

: Wow! Just...wow! :
#5 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 07:41 PM

what a smug, arrogant... idiot (cm would get on my case if i said what came to mind.) i can't wait till frank comes & grinds her to hash.

suse
#6 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty horrified myself, scary how much ignorance there is in our hospitals. She was the kindest most caring person when we were kids, I'm so saddened to see how she's become so calloused.

For the sake of family peace I didn't say much other than that the AAP does not reccomend routine circ (assuming that she's not aware of this) and told her that my DR told me that the FS should never be retracted for cleaning.
#7 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
She can't even spell PROSTATE but she's cutting up babies, or advocating cutting babies??

Send her back to 3rd grade and save those innocent babies from pain.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#8 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If its such a big problem for the hospital staffers, why don't we hear all of Europe crying about the problems?

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#9 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 09:07 PM

how is it possible that a person can get through medical school and still be so ignorant????
#10 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 09:20 PM

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

How awful that she is so uninformed!!!!!

I just don't know what to say . . . . ..
#11 of 31 Old 01-01-2005, 09:23 PM

It's funny, reading that response, I kept thinking that the person who wrote it wasn't really a dr. She was so all over the place, so full of misinformation and the usual, 30 year old propaganda, and just so... I don't know, weird. It wasn't a response to one question, it was a weird, smug, holier-than-thou, rant about men who age. She sounds like a complete ass, sorry if that's offensive. I can't believe someone so clueless, and unable to follow a single thought, can be in med school. I'm sorry for her future patients.

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M
#12 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 02:46 AM

ITA Andie. I had a hard time reading it, not just emotionally or because of my anger but because she kept going off on tangents. She reminds me of a teacher I had in high school. He would start talking about something and EVERYDAY a few people in class would start asking him questions and he would go completely off topic for at least half the class.

Ok, now I have to get this off my chest because my DH just doesn't understand no circ and I don't really have anyone to vent to and this blog entry just made me sit here with my mouth in my lap from pure shock.

First off, with these 'old timers' I highly doubt with all their medical conditions causing them to be in hospitals and homes and needing cathitors the worst thing that is 'wrong' with them is that the are uncirc.

Then she starts talking about how they preformed a circ incorrectly on an adult male... now an adult males penis is a lot bigger than a childs. What would have happened if they had 'cut off too much' on a child... his penis would non existant! And she LAUGHS about screwing up the circ. How F*#&$#ed up is that?? And you want to do this to my child?

And this woman is going to find some pour babies uncirc penis and just rip the forskin. I can see it now. The mother screaming in horror as she dives for her pour son. I really hope and pray that she was refering to an older child as far as cleaning goes....

Now, about the scarring. I am sorry but my son DOES HAVE A SCAR from his circ! I have to look at that scar every time I chance his diaper. Don't tell me they don't scar! My DH ALSO has a scar from his which was also preformed as an infant. Hey at least my son will be like his daddy RIGHT?!

And anastetic.... "just incase we're wrong and the kid can actually feel it". *sigh* I won't even go further...

"If someone is against it because of religious or vanity or granola-crunching reasons, that is their prerogative" So deciding to not circ is.... what? A power trip? We personally gain something from it? Is she kidding????

I almost cried a couple of times see the kind of person who mutilated my son. It really is sad that this is how our health professionals think and learn and teach. I am sorry to the OP if I my insulting your cousin hurts you, it definitly isn't aimed and you and I am sure your cousin is a good person who is just brainwashed by the medical community.
#13 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 04:26 AM

Next question - maybe she could answer for this too in her block.

What is so different in American penises that they cannot stay natural? Why all these problems do not exist in rest of the world? How on earth over 80% of world's men manage to live their lives intact?

On another circ debate board a soon-to-be-doctor was telling the level of foreskin education in medical school. Well, there is no education. Until USA medical schools update their text books to the same level with rest of the western world , there is very little hope for intact boys in USA.
And concidering the amount of easy money doctors get for the cutting...why would they want to stop it?
#14 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 06:34 AM

You can add comments to live-journal enteries, can't you? I think we should all contribute to a rebuttal, with links to studies and the statements of medical organizations, and rebut that stupid thing. Seriously. She is WAY wrong about so many things it's rediculous. And if you as a relative don't feel comfortable doing the posting, just PM one of us and I'm sure someone will be more than glad to do it.

Jen
#15 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 10:02 AM

Yes, Jen - I think rebutting it would be a good thing. And so easy to do.

Someone send Frank over there!
#16 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 10:16 AM

GAH!

I don't normally frequent this board because I have a dd, but I am wholeheartedly anti-circ and this topic caught my eye.

My worst fear is to get a doc like that one. ICK.

And you know what? My husband works with dev. disabled adults, many of whom are elderly and he has to do caths ALOT and he said in his experience they aren't as traumatic and painful as that "nutter" (her word) describes. I had a cath while awake, and while it wasn't the most fun ever it also wasn't even one of the top 10,000 most uncomfortable things I've experienced. (A stubbed toe is 100x worse than that was.)

So, on top of being misinformed she's apparently also unskilled.

Ick, sorry to speak badly of your cousin (are you close??) but what an arrogant, misinformed jerk.

flowersforyou.gif

#17 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 11:18 AM

What a freakin idiot! Heck, I had a cath. after surgery, and I asked for it because I couldn't pee! I was fully awake, and it was no big deal. Not the most fun thing in the world, but certainly not the most painful. She seems so concerned about catheters, but being circed is not going to save you from getting one. She has the stupid reasoning that everyone should circ to save men the possibility of being circed in the future....oh, and for her personal comfort- so that she doesn't have to be embarassed while doing exams. :Puke

She just seems so "high school"....very immature.
#18 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 11:32 AM

I agree with most of the posters: the tone was smug, misinformed, and immature.

Can I just say that my own opinion of circ'ing was reinforced during my midwifery training. I was doing a nursing placement on the postpartum floor of a large metro hospital. There was a baby about to be circ'd. I wanted to watch as I had only read and seen a video about circ'ing. I refused to let my son be circ'd despite a rather large argument with dp. So anyways, I watched this baby get his circ and I literally almost fainted. I had to sit down, do the head-between-my-legs-thing. I abstractly found this odd as I have witnessed innumerable c-sections, repaired perineums many times, put in ivs and catheters and other pretty visceral things. But the ONE thing that made me queasy was the circ. Just from my gut I knew it was all WRONG. A poor little defenseless baby have perfectly good healthy tissue cut away for no other reason than someone else's aesthetics (maybe religious also -- whatever). So that really cemented by belief.

Funnily the ped came to me afterwards and asked if I was ok. I mumbled something about being glad I just had to handle blood, vomit and feces in my profession, and not circ'ing! I don't think he understood....

Carolynn
#19 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 01:55 PM

I stopped reading when she/he said "prostrate". If a dr. can't even say/spell prostate, then there is no hope...
#20 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 03:08 PM

I am just speechless! The ignorance and arrogance is just appalling. There is so much wrong on so many levels that I just don’t know where to begin.

Recently, I read that something like 92,000 people die of medical mistakes and incompetence in American hospitals every year. 92,000 people who should be alive! After reading this tirade, I have little doubt that statistic is true. I hope to God that I never have the misfortune to have to resort to being cared for by someone this ignorant and arrogant who is masquerading as a medical professional and holds my life in her hands.

Frank
#21 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 03:24 PM

I am somewhat stunned...

I could not even read the whole thing, it seems based on so many misconceptions.

Also, I think that I would feel strange, Simone, being spoke of in this "blog" in this manner, I just would feel exploited/used somehow.

If no one minds, I would like to just take one specific thing she says, about her male children being circed TWO days after they are born.

I do not feel it is up to me to specifically TELL anyone what to do. About anything. And it is not up to me to judge. What I would suggest if someone was absolutely intent on circ, to please wait a week at least. (Hey, wait a year...) This gives the baby's blood the time it needs to increase clotting. There have been babies who have bled to death...

Having said that, because I gave information to a young teen mama, whose whole family pressured her to circ her son, she made an informed decision NOT to circ. And for that I am grateful...
#22 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM

i did want to add (was too stunned at first to mention it, tho' it did come to mind) about the catheters- i've had them a few times, also, & *such* not a big deal. definately, the stubbed toe is worse.

(and why is a circ'd penis so much easier on the patient being catheterized than uncirc'd? skin or no skin, it's still sticking a tube in a urethra. this one is totally a skilled/unskilled thing. kind of like an iv- i've had ivs that were nothing, & ones that were the far side of hell. altho' i've got an idea even a clumsy catheterization is nothing like a clumsy iv placement...)

i do not believe i have ever read something so full of bs, by someone so convinced of their superior knowledge, in my life. that's saying a lot.

suse
#23 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 06:10 PM

It is sad to think that she is a medical "professional" (and I use that word sparingly)
#24 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank goodness I have you ladies to talk to about this. I'm so horrified and embarassed by her resposne I not sure if I could bring myself to discuss it with any of my IRL friends.

I'll forgive her for poor writing and grammer, this really was not intended for public distribution and she is a chronic journalist so this really wasn't intended for public distribution and I could possibly even forgive her for honest ignorance. I assume that she was taught her circ miss-info and just never thought to question her teachers. What I cannot forgive is her callous attitude regarding patient care. What she is basically saying is that we should mutilate our children because medical professionals cannot properly care for them otherwise.

As for responing to her blog...I don't feel that I can/should share the URL but if someone should happen to run across it in their "personal research" and responded to it....
#25 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 07:12 PM

Can't say I'm all that surprised since I am a recent graduate of nursing school and currently an RN. It seems as if all the nurses that I work with prefer the same doctors because they share a professional and mature stance on taking care of human beings. Others-well, you just read it from the horse's mouth! I wish that everyone in her position, a position that influences others to make decisions regarding health (scary thought that she has that influence) would be so much more respectful, educated, caring, and centered before even thinking about becoming a medical professional. I feel sorry for her patients!

Nina, wife to Michael , mama to DD1, DS1, and DS2, and "Bub" to
DD2
#26 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 07:23 PM

I'll just let the smilies do the talking as I have no words. No wait, yes I do. What an angry, horrible person.

: :
#27 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 PM

What a wrong, wrong blog...

Using the same reasoning we should go and cut off all the pieces of our body that can get sick:

cut off the apendix, cut out the tonsils, remove a couple of ribs from a rib cage (you know in case in the older age we develop some heart deseases, for easier access)

AND! the sooner the better, so 2 days old sounds about right.

I am speechless to be honest...
#28 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
As for responing to her blog...I don't feel that I can/should share the URL but if someone should happen to run across it in their "personal research" and responded to it....
I can understand that.

However, I also think it's worth remembering that for her own good she deserves to be exposed to the truth about this. . .as is the case with nonsurgical foreskin restoration and uninformed men.

I for one wish someone had told me about restoration years ago. Which is why the argument for silence and censorship because of mutilated men's feelings doesn't persuade me.

And I think that principle is sound in this case as well. Because the pro-mutilation viewpoint is bad for not only little boys (and girls), but for those adults who are ignorantly stuck in it as well.

People need to be informed not only for the sake of the children involved, but for their own too. Just look at the "If you regret circumcising your son. . ." sticky at the top of the board.
#29 of 31 Old 01-02-2005, 11:31 PM

"Birds and the Bees lesson: men have prostrates, women have uteri. As a person ages, each sex has different "part plagues" as I prefer to think of them. Men's prostrates enlarge, thereby sometimes causing the male URETHRA (your pee tube) to retain urine in the bladder. The human bladder is meant to only hold about 500 cc's (or half a liter) of urine. I have seen a VERY distended bladder once drain out 1700 cc's (almost a two liter of soda!). Bladders: wonderful tools, very expandable, but a source of great pain if they are required to hold too much urine because said urine can't pass by the prostrate in a male."

Umm... men don't have PROSTRATES. They do, however...have PROSTATES. Geez.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#30 of 31 Old 01-03-2005, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat

I was ahead of you there. I tried Googling it but got no hits.

Frank

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page